1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Soooo low CPC, how should I do to improve

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by cuongdm, Dec 15, 2006.

Hi guys,
    this is the issue
    ----------------
    URL: http://www.thefamous.info
    Description: this site is about The Famous People Information (such as: Paris Hilton, Britney Spear, Lindsay Lohan... )
    Ads Position: I put some referrals on the left, one large vertical ads on the right, and 2 small horizental ads on the main body
    Problem: the CPC is too low, when people visit a page, the adsense will show the relevant ads of this people (for ex: Paris Hilton free pics, Paris Hilton video... ) i know it will make the CTR higher but the CPC is toooo low...
    ----------------
    What I want: The content is still about the famous people but the ads with higher payout keywords... should I change the Page Title, Keyword (now is following the content)... or put some more content target to the new keyword...
    ---------------
    I need your suggestions...

cuongdm, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can change the page title, keyword, etc all you want, but as soon as you have the words "britney spears" show up once on your site, you'll get 5000 Britney Spears ads, and each one will pay exactly .01-cent (if you're lucky). Likewise with Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, etc. It's your niche, it's delivering you VERY RELEVANT ads, exactly how Adsense works. Unfortunately for you, those ads pay butkus.

jackburton2006, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  3. jeremyalyea

jeremyalyea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice looking site BTW. I run several similar sites and battle this same thing all of the time. I stumbled across a thread the other day that talked about eliminating ads from the MFA sites that typically pay .01/click.

You should check out this website:
    http://www.adsblacklist.com/

I decided to try it the other day. So far my CPC has improved.

jeremyalyea, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  4. cuongdm

cuongdm Peon

Best Answers:
    thank guys,
    but jeremyalyea, i read somewhere and people say that Google always show the highest payout ads that meet your content... so if you block the 0.01 cent ads currently appear on your site, the other 0.01 cent will replace them...
    am i right?

cuongdm, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  5. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would stick to one ad-unit per page, if I were in a low-paying niche. That way only the high(er) paying ads show up.

kh7, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  6. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations! You've already figured out what these "use the ad filters!" people never seme to figure out. There are 1000s of the same exact ads out there, and you only have 200 filters to work with. You add 200, and 200 more of the exact same ads, playing exactly the same (if not less), will just replace it. The guy who says his earnings improved is pulling your leg. No one who has been doing Adsense for longer than a year bothers with the URL filter except to block out competition websites.

jackburton2006, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  7. Allen.H

Allen.H Peon

Best Answers:
    I've managed to reach a CPC of 0.06 and 0.08 with a celebrity blog, but it seems like just yesterday Google dumped it to 0.02-0.03. Calculate that with 1,000 clicks per day and you get the total loss.

Allen.H

Allen.H, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  8. jeremyalyea

jeremyalyea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone has there own opinion on this. jackburton shared his. I'd suggest that you search the forums on this topic since both sides have been argued to the nth degree.

I'd say that .01 ads have to run at some point, otherwise they would never get used. Blocking some of them(200) should help the cause in my opinion but certainly not cure it.

To the contrary of what Jack said, I 've been doing adsense much longer than 1 year and am trying it currently. My suggestion to you would be do your own research and draw your own conclusions. It looks like it has improved the CPC for the site I am trying it on, but that doesn't mean it will affect your site in the same way.

jeremyalyea, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  9. tgo

tgo Peon

Best Answers:
    With these types of sites you have to concentrate on what type of things these celebs own.

Like with paris hilton - high paying keywords like
    Hilton Hotels
    5 star hilton
    Paris
    etc...
    i tend to only refer to her as "Hilton" or "Paris" then the keywords dont mash together and produce crap ads.

Or anna kournakova, write about
    wimbledon tickets
    other event tickets
    etc...

Or Jessica alba write about
    her movies that are for sale
    etc...

write about things that will produce ads that will be selling something...
    i used to get 3-5 cents average click, this month its 8-10cents.

Also set channels for each celebrity... you then know where you went and where still have crap ads.

tgo, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    since you are a publisher, it's epc, not cpc... cost per click is a number for advertisers.

that website you listed is a waste of time, because you are most likely blackballing mfa'ers that are not showing up on your sites to begin with, and missing mfa'ers that are on your sites.

develop your own custom filter list, based on what you see on your sites.

if the subject matter(aka sector) of your site is swamped with mfa'ers, using the filter will have less of an impact... but there are a whole lot of sectors out there where the filter list makes a huge difference in epc.

use it, be glad it's there, and tell google to increase the size of the filter.

danimal, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  11. cuongdm

cuongdm Peon

Best Answers:
    thank guys for comments...
    i think i will do as tgo suggested...
    will try to change the title & content to focus of the niche has better ads...
    and/or try to drive the traffic to another site that already has higher payout keywords...
    always feel warmly here when have you guys to share things...

cuongdm, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  12. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I only use the filter to filter out ads that I find offensive. Other than that - I let google figure out what the best paying ads are. That's in their advantage too - and they have pretty advanced math at their disposal.

kh7, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  13. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As with many of these types of sites, you will need to have huge amount of traffic to make it worthwhile in terms of adsense, if adsense is your primary reason for such sites, of course.

qwestcommunications, Dec 18, 2006 IP