1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Are The Good Reasons For Major Websites Such As Google,myspace,cj,etc. Success?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by universe, Dec 15, 2006.

What Are The Reasons For Major Websites Such As Google,yahoo,myspace,youtube,cj,etc. Success?
    What Are The Marketing Techniques They Used?

universe, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  2. franke1

franke1 Guest

Best Answers:
    One of the many advantages of the myspace is its sheer simplicity. It only takes a few steps to become part of this community, and it’s absolutely free! Every profile allows users to completely personalize and add their own personal touch to their page. Two of the standard ‘blurbs’ –as they call it – are the “About Me” and the “Who I’d like to Meet.” Amidst making new friends, stalking celebrities, and writing their own blogs, users spend a lot of time on their personal profiles. The include details with regards to their interests such as television, music and books; hobbies and activities and often personal details like physical appearances and marital status. The website also allows users to upload a default image which appears all over the website in accordance with their name and to upload and host other photographs for their friends’ viewing pleasure.

franke1, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  3. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    They do what they do VERY well. That and a crapload of VC money helps.

drig, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  4. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.If you have a lot of money to invest,the chances of you doing very well is higher.

sbongo, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  5. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    having good viral marketing also helps alot.

every one was on myspace becuase your friends usually refered you.

with google and yahoo these were basically just the first players in the market so of course they will be dominant.

Connections, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  6. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, a trip down memory lane for all you newbies online:

Google (the search engine) is on top because it was WAY better than the ones before it. It turned search into a valid way of finding information. Before google came along you did start with a search engine. But you were happy if within the first 20 results one fit your query at least a bit. So you went to that site hoping they had a good link-page and browsed from there. They called it 'surfing the internet'.
    Now surfing the internet means googling information. Not at all the same thing. IMO stumbleupon brought back the surfing into online surfing: it gives that same sense of 'I'll never know what I find next' feel, while staying pretty close to stuff that is actually relevant to your interests.

Yahoo WAS real good at finding things that worked, buying them and then integrating them into their existing systems. I thought they did a real good job when they bought e-groups, for instance (now yahoo-groups). They still do good buys every once in a while - Delicio is one, for instance - but the integration of their various assets lags behind. They are still big because their free e-mail service is one of the most popular. And of course yahoo-answers is a good service as well. Personally I'm a bit mixed on whether they will be able to integrate things better - but recent reorganization news does indicate that they might.

Myspace works because it has
    a) a lot of people there
    b) customizaton.
    c) good services: bulletins, 'comments', forums, search
    But I think it may be over it's top already. Not sure. These things are so darn changeable.

kh7, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  7. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are all greatly unique; the best in their field; or, they were first in the market thusallowing them to build a crictical mass before other entrants.

qwestcommunications, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  8. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Two words

"Unique Ideas"

IT

Correctus, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  9. Thiagoo

Thiagoo Peon

Best Answers:
    UNIQUE ideas OR a BETTER idea always work.

Thiagoo, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  10. Important

Important Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Not exactly for all of those listed. It's better execution of idea as far as myspace is concerned and awe-inspiring marketing. Everyone talks about "viral marketing", but few know how to do it the right way.

Important, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  11. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Yeah I wanted to add "Excellent Execution" as well, but it just won't fit in two words along with Unique ideas, but yes thats the part two. Thanks for pointing it out Important

IT

Correctus, Dec 16, 2006 IP
    khasmoth likes this.
  12. khasmoth

khasmoth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unique ideas and innovation is one of their criteria. Not much of Marketing. people just like them because they provide useful tool and information.

khasmoth, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  13. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think myspace isnt unique.Friendster actually got the idea first.

sbongo, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  14. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Lots of money in their marketing campaign ;)

Seiya, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  15. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's combination of things. Friendster was more exclusive then myspace is. So they took the concept and changed what they thought wasn't working. Microsoft is where they are today by somewhat the same method: take what you see out there, and make it work for everyday users.

kh7, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  16. sz2006

sz2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not a good topic to discuss here in DP.
    Somebody please find out some successful personal website, and then discuss how they did success?

sz2006, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  17. sbongo

sbongo Peon

Best Answers:
    Who will it be?:)

sbongo, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  18. cenkbut

cenkbut Peon

Best Answers:
    As everyone knows, Google was launched by two software geeks from college. So ok, they did a great job using their successful intranet search engine. But how did they market it without any money?

You will tell me, they had a unique idea and better engine but how did they grow and how did they market it? People wouldnt use google if it wasnt marketed properly. I believe there were hundreds of search engines which were as good as google but they got lost without marketing.

I believe, yahoo used googles engine for a while and that's how they grow virally. Am I right or imagining things?

cenkbut, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  19. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this fits DP fine. The question is actually marketing related - if it wasn't, it could go in one of the more general forums.

kh7, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  20. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This websites was personal websites.

login, Dec 18, 2006 IP