1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you prefer managed or unmanaged vps?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by HostWinds_Jesse, Jun 2, 2016.

I prefer un-managed. This way I feel like I can learn more as I go as I have to fix problems myself rather than rely on support tickets to my hosting provider. What do you all think?

HostWinds_Jesse, Jun 2, 2016 IP
  2. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I prefer managed, just like Pizza, I am not cooking it, I leave that to the Italians

I ENJOY writing, making videos and of course spending time with my family as much as I can,

I let the young server admin guys who are drinking 12 red bulls a day handle my network ;)

sundaybrew, Jun 2, 2016 IP
  3. Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer managed. I spend my time where it makes me the most money. Now if you don't rely on your server for your income and enjoy playing with computers then un-managed could be fun.

Rob Whisonant, Jun 2, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  4. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Un-managed, I like to make sure things are done correctly, and I do not have to rely on others as the OP stated.

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Jun 2, 2016 IP
  5. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Exactly - Why they have sever admins and caddy;s at the golf course ;)

sundaybrew, Jun 2, 2016 IP
  6. HostWinds_Jesse

HostWinds_Jesse Member

Best Answers:
    I rely on a lot of my server for income, all of them are un-managed. However I've picked up a thing or two about server administration.

HostWinds_Jesse, Jun 3, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  7. DCTS Solutions

DCTS Solutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In the past I have always gone the route with unmanaged cause generally most companies want another $100/mo(some not all) or whatever they want to charge for it and then your paying for like 2 servers instead of 1. Granted the time that you can save by contacting them and having them do it would be great but there is this to think about... How much time does it take to get to the hosting provider's site and get logged in (unless having your info saved already in your browser) and then navigating to the submit ticket part and then getting the email of it being submitted. What is the time frame they reply in? Do they log the length of the process to make the extra money worth it?

I mean 99.99% of the processes you are going to need them to do you could do if you have a mac since it has a Terminal built into it and your having to download a SSH program. All you do is open it up and run the command line to login and then copy the code from google and boom your done in literally half if not less time than the whole process to submit a ticket and wait for the reply, especially if it's a modules or server requirement like ioncube, zend loaders, hell even setting up the server to begin with... just how i see it, unmanaged is the faster and best way to go.

DCTS Solutions, Jun 4, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  8. Jesse21

Jesse21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Jesse21, Jun 10, 2016 IP
  9. 24x7servermanagement

24x7servermanagement Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Because of various costing factors we are seeing a trend in getting more unmanaged servers than managed servers. For example if you look at a provider like OVH they have the best pricing in the industry and if you compare servers with a managed service provider like singlehop or softlayer you will see the difference. Well the Bottom line is there are many third party services providers who can manage your server or network at a decent price thus making a complete managed server with cost effective solution.

24x7servermanagement, Jun 10, 2016 IP