1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice for Newbie Copywriters...

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Evan D, May 17, 2016.

Hey Everyone,

I’m pretty new on this forum, but I’ve seen quite a few threads in the past few days from newbie copywriters who are just getting started and thought I’d share some of my thoughts and experience.

I’ve been making money online since about 2006.

It all started with a blog post that pitched a clickbank product at the very end… it wasn’t a very good article, but I did manage to get 1 sale the same day I posted it.

It was the only sale that blog post generated for that product...

But as a newbie, I was hooked.

I understood the power that I could wield with the written word. I could see freedom at the end of the tunnel.

So that’s when I started building a list and focued on Email Marketing…

Sure, I have made a sale here and there over the years with a YouTube video or a blog post… but my list is my number one asset.

It’s what allows me the freedom to never have to worry about money.

My number two asset… that would be the list of anyone that hires me to write email copy for them.

You see… the thing about email copy is that you can bang it out in 30 or 40 minutes, hit send, then go turn on NetFlix.

After a few hours of binge watching your new favorite show you can check your clickbank account and see that you’ve just made an extra $200 or $300 bucks.

Email copy is easier in my opinion than long form copy…

I’m not saying you shouldn’t write long form copy... you should take any job you can get at this stage of the game...

But my advice for a newbie, would be to start out with email copy.

Learn how to sell using 600 words or less.

Follow the ADIA formula and see what you can do.

Here’s what I’d do if I was forced to start all over again… or if I decided to start writing for a new niche:

1) Pick a product with a decent (but not great) salespage.

2) Build a squeeze page.

3) Write four or five 600 word emails and load them onto my list.

4) Get people to my squeeze page.

5) Contact owner of crappy sales page after making a few sales (if he or she doesn’t contact me first)

Because here’s the thing:

When you start making a few sales for a product that probably isn’t selling all that well… the creator of that product is going to want to know how in God's name you’re doing it.

When you tell them "email marketing" who do you think he or she is going to want to write their follow up emails?

YOU!

That’s when you hit em back with, “You’re gonna need a better sales page too.”

Making those first few sales will build your confidence.

It'll show you that you have what it takes...

...and you DO have what it takes... believe that!

This is how I’d personally do it if I was starting all over.

I’m not by any means saying it’s the BEST way... or that it’s the ONLY way.

But for a newbie copywriter, it's an EASY way.

Evan D, May 17, 2016 IP
  2. zmoor040

zmoor040 Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is good advice. I've wanted to break into email copywriting, but I don't know where to start.

I'm even willing to write for free in industries I like (tech, IM, SaaS) to gain experience, but I don't know where to advertise this service. Any suggestions?

zmoor040, May 20, 2016 IP
  3. Evan D

Evan D Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    You could start by finding several sites in those niches and getting on their email lists.

Better still -- look for businesses that don't even have an email list.

Wait until you get a half dozen or so follow ups from them and contact the owner of the one you suspect isn't having much success with email marketing based on what you're reading.

Offer some insight into how they can improve and see if he or she would be open to discussing a collaboration.

Evan D, May 20, 2016 IP