1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can i search and replace in the .exe file?

Discussion in 'C#' started by postcd, May 5, 2016.

Hello,

im having third party .exe and i would like to search some phrasse (it is displayed when the software is running) in it and replace it. and then having modiffied .exe

What is the fastest and cheapest way to do it please? And how this is called so i can Google it?

thank you

postcd, May 5, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look for a binary editor. In the past, I have used Notepad to look for character strings in an exe file. And you may not be able to find what you are looking for, even if you use one.

billzo, May 6, 2016 IP
  3. ktzmedia.com

ktzmedia.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it is a .Net exe you can use a decompiler to reverse engineer the executable and then you can search the source code.

ktzmedia.com, May 11, 2016 IP
  4. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And please which tool i can use to compile it back to become .exe? Google do not returns anything usefull 2 me.

postcd, May 12, 2016 IP
  5. ktzmedia.com

ktzmedia.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Visual Studio will recompile the source code for you.

ktzmedia.com, May 12, 2016 IP
  6. csgo

csgo Member

Best Answers:
    Reverse engineering won't get you something fully working and it's really not that easy to understand . (Assembly is a low-level language like C which is considered hard to understand/learn compared to C# and other languages).
    Now if it's written in C# or VB then you can use JustDecompile from Telerik and you will have 99% a working code . (Different programming languages require different decompilers (If they can get decompiled in the first place) )

For example, If it's written in C++ then It will require some work on your part as I said .

csgo, May 16, 2016 IP
  7. Techrev

Techrev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with billzo 100%. You can use HEX editor to do what you are in need. Hope this help!

Techrev, Apr 18, 2017 IP
  8. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We use dotPeek at our shop - it can decompile and even let you browse your assemblies (.dlls) and even puts them back together for you - creates the project + src so all you have to do is build :)

ccoonen, Feb 13, 2018 IP