1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JDMS

JDMS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    LOL!

I didnt' say that just because I like writing I don't have days when I'm not in the mood for it. My daily low target (one paragraph a day, no matter what) insures I write something, everyday, regardless of my mood. It's been a good way to keep things progressing towards completion.

JDMS, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice, but some of us cannot take it if we have projects and deadlines that have to be met.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  3. Professor Kent

Professor Kent Peon

Best Answers:
    Those people who are waiting for a muse are got fired first :) So, there isn't bad mood for writing!

Professor Kent, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  4. streem26

streem26 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just start writing . Most part of my life im reading ) You right for writing must be inspire .

streem26, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I take it that you're not a professor of English?;)
    @streem26
    We are all attempting to find methods to elicit inspiration, in order to be able to be in the mood to write. This is what this thread is all about.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  6. Samantha Stein

Samantha Stein Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the time, I simply decide not to write at all.

But if I have a deadline to beat and my brain flat out refuses to function, I try to give it a push by listening to relaxing music.

When even that does not work, I force myself to write by thinking of the dire consequences that await me if I keep my mood going.

Samantha Stein, Apr 18, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Fear is the mother of all motivaters. We can utilize it to prompt us to produce, as long as we don't allow it to rule our lives.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 18, 2016 IP
  8. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to say but you have to be in the mood to write good content.

But if you're not in the mood, you can scribble little notes here and there, and then later sort it out.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    This is how I feel and was wondering how writers write when not in the mood. I've read some good tips in this thread and have applied some of them, and found that many of them do work.
    I've received a few e-mails basically telling me the same thing. I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread over the years.:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  10. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    Something else worth considering, if you're not in the mood to write, then there must a cause for it

1. Stress

Solution: Set better time management of your schedule. Maybe too much stress from work, school, social activities, pressure from relatives, spouses, etc. can impede your ability to write. Manage your schedule better, and it will go a long way at making you more relax.

2. Poor Health

Solution: Sometimes we're under the weather even though there's no obvious symptoms. A check in with your doctor or psychologist can pay dividends. Anti-depressants will go a long at re balancing the mind, thus setting the motivation to write or complete your projects.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 28, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. Rich Jinks

Rich Jinks Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm new to this forum but have been copywriting for around a year now.

I definitely have days where I'm not in the mood, but I work in a job where that's not really an option. With tight deadlines, clients to keep happy and a boss to impress, I can't afford not to write every day.

So, here are three of my tried and tested tips (sorry if any of these have bee mentioned; I couldn't look through all of these responses!):
    • Start your day by writing something unrelated to your usual work topics. Review something you watched the night before, have a go at describing your dreams, write a poem about not wanting to write (but having bills to pay): anything creative like this seems to get my brain in gear from the get go. Plus, exploring new writing styles and topics flexes my writing muscles in new ways, keeping me interested in the process itself.
    • Whenever a piece is sapping your energy/will to live, take a break and write something else. I find variety is the only way to stay motivated. Plus, for me, it's never writing itself that's the problem; it's the boring subjects. Don't multi-task, just jump between different activities when you can't go any further. When you come back to the first task, you'll write better and quicker than when you were struggling before.
    • Don't delay writing: I had a tendency in school to leave essays to the last minute. When I tried to continue that habit into work, it backfired big time (missed deadlines, unhappy clients, unimpressed boss). The later in the day I leave a big writing project, the less I'll want to do it when the time comes. Some people seem to think that looming deadlines spur quick work, but I think they also motivate an unhappy writing process which produces an unworthy result.

Rich Jinks, Apr 28, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I could write many articles on this subject alone. Boring subjects, how often have we all had to endure that?

@WebmasterPhil
    Good thoughtful post, thanks for your input. Time management and stress/health are indeed factors as to being or not being, in the mood to write good content.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  13. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess for some people writing would just another form of communication with people in their daily life and routines like instead going out make friends, make friends online and keep writing or communicating or discuss your daily life online. For some it is an art of living and maybe a bread and butter for their family too. However I believe the real, genuine, true writing comes from someone very experienced in their life.

If you make writing just a means of making money, then you would never be able to write something interesting or true to yourself, instead you will end up either copy pasting other peoples' articles or criticizing people over something.

Obviously I do agree that for writing, we have to be in a good mood and a patience mind so that innovative ideas and expressful words would popup from your thoughts :)

China_girl, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I've never thought of it this way, but I suppose that you are right.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 30, 2016 IP
  15. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's why writers (are supposed to) get paid a nice sum. You can't expect writers to pump out 4 articles a day consistently (or editors to edit that much). It's not robotic like shelving goods at a store.

That's why if a client is paying low, the writer just jots whatever down, fixes it a little so it's competent, then sends it off. Anyone can do that -- you just google a bunch of stuff, string it together, change around a few words so it's unique -- and voila, your blog is done! When I did this I'd take 2 bullet points from one site, and 2 different bullet points from another site, then add a 50-word intro and 50-word conclusion, and I was done :D.

But if you're asking for higher quality, then a write can probably do 1 or 2 500-word articles a day. And you'd have to pay more.

And that's how writers do it :)

jv1999, Jun 5, 2016 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That's how I used to do it when I was in a hurry when I was starting out. I worked for my father, imagine doing that to your own kin. After reading your post I can now get rid of the guilt, as I now realize that I was not the only one doing this.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jun 5, 2016 IP
  17. Johnblogs

Johnblogs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I usually don't write if I'm not in the mood, or I do writing exercises to help try to bring some inspiration.

Johnblogs, Jun 5, 2016 IP
  18. hilhilginger

hilhilginger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have a platform people who are writing from within say like inspirations.why don't you try that out of a lot more innovative ideas get shared across many people around

hilhilginger, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Google Translate much? What ever you were trying to say didn't come out right.

@Johnblogs if one isn't in the mood to write, then why would you want to try writing exercises? That simply doesn't make any sense.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Spoiltdiva, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  20. Johnblogs

Johnblogs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Writing exercises and reading can bring inspiration. It's doesn't work for everyone, but it is something that has worked for many writers I have worked with.

Johnblogs, Jun 10, 2016 IP