1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to promote my video game based website

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Grit., Apr 1, 2016.

So I've been running my own video game based website for almost 2 years now (there's a link in my signature for those interested), however I am really struggling with traffic. All the sites I have ran in the past, I've just done the coding and maintenance, and had a partner work out the rest of it.

The site generally gets about 20 visits a day at the moment (Google Analytics), however I've had some mild success a getting spikes of traffic for a few days. The best I ever did was get almost 15,000 visitors due to a lucky submission on an article directory style website. The other success I had was 400 visits due to a random surge on Facebook.

My current strategy is based on me and one other writer creating news articles based on video game news Monday - Friday in what spare time we have, and we try to get a review for a game as often as we can. These reviews we then submit to another site to try and get us more traffic, which offers mixed success (we're talking from 50 extra visitors up to 200 generally).

As I've already stated, marketing isn't something I know or that I feel I'm currently good at, so any and all tips would be gratefully accepted. If possible, I'd prefer suggestions that are a bit more in depth rather than comments such as SEO, as I'm not so savvy on these things.

Thank you in advance

Grit., Apr 1, 2016 IP
  2. chellosp

chellosp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Build a Facebook page, post the articles there, share the post on Facebook groups related to your niche and you wil start building an audience.

chellosp, Apr 2, 2016 IP
  3. balancivity

balancivity Member

Best Answers:
    You already have a Facebook Page and you mentioned you got traffic from Facebook, so why not run a few Facebook Ads? Facebook Ads are awesome because you can really focus on a specific/targeted audience. And, depending on who you're targeting, Facebook Ads are pretty cheap.

balancivity, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  4. Mashfi

Mashfi Member

Best Answers:
    You have to select perfect meta title
    Meta description
    keywords, before start internet marketing.

Mashfi, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  5. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When it comes down to that, I've no experience in ad marketing. The audience for my site is quite broad, so I don't know just the area I'd be targeting. Since I'm still waiting on my first ad payout from the site, I'm a little reluctant to spend money on something like Facebook ads

Grit., Apr 4, 2016 IP
  6. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any more tips on this perfect meta information? I'm letting it run the first so many words of my article for my Meta description at the moment

Grit., Apr 4, 2016 IP
  7. tareq95422

tareq95422 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have to post updated new unique gaming post regularly.

tareq95422, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  8. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you read my original post, you'll see that i consistently post news and reviews. I post minimum of 6 posts a day Monday to Friday. Though I do try to exceed this as much as possible.

Grit., Apr 4, 2016 IP
  9. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    Did you at least read the man`s post? He already stated that he has a Facebook page...
    @OP: Reading your story, we can clearly see that the content is not the problem (you have a huge content). The question I would have: Is it original? Or are you inspired by other websites?
    Problem is that the competition in your niche is huge. It`s kinda hard to compete with Gamespot or IGN.
    Have you considered doing video reviews and posting them on Youtube? Or walkthroughs? Try to add your original touch into the mix.

HCFGrizzly, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  10. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My content is a mix of both. It is all written by me any my co-author. Things like reviews, are all written and 100% our own work, however news posts can contain some press release quotes etc, or are re-written based on information we find in press releases. Either way, it is still our content, and it is unique.

We have considered video reviews. We did start a YouTube channel and we did have some mild success, but due to the hardware required at the time, we opted out of it. I did consider creating video reviews to accompany regular reviews when we posted them.
    When it comes to walkthroughs, I never really considered that one, but due to the fact we buy all of our own games, we can't create these things for more up to date titles if our budgets don't allow.

We do know that the competition is huge, but there is room in there for profit. We don't expect to be able to compete with the likes of IGN or Gamespot etc, but from some of our past strokes of luck, we know we can still be successful with it.

Grit., Apr 4, 2016 IP
  11. Mashfi

Mashfi Member

Best Answers:
    Can you share with us? what did you write in meta description for your gaming site?

Mashfi, Apr 5, 2016 IP
  12. MurrayRothbard

MurrayRothbard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a contest is always a good idea

MurrayRothbard, Apr 7, 2016 IP