1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I love how the same word gets used in completely different ways in countries that profess to have English as their first language.
    To me...
    Something made with sliced bread is a sandwich
    Something made with a burger bun is a burger

But reading your post it sounds as if the words are totally interchangeable.

In Anaheim I ate at a chain store with a name like the Breakfast Bakery but it was open all day. Got excited to be see "steak" on the menu - totally disappointed when I got served a mince patty.

sarahk, Mar 12, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have done a lot of business in the U.K. and had many business colleagues there, as well. We often joked that we were two countries separated by a common language. :)

I do not know the exact etymology, but it seems that here in the U.S. the term "burger" really relates to the hamburg that the sandwich is made with. The bread that it is combined with is secondary. We even have cheeseburger pizza. Now, a "sandwich" is pretty much anything that includes just about any type of bread with a filling that can be eaten while held in the hand. The type of bread is again pretty irrelevant as it is a very generic term. For example, McDonalds uses a hamburger roll for their Filet O' Fish fish sandwich.

jrbiz, Mar 12, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So last night I had a business dinner meeting just outside of Boston and ordered a Maine Lobster Cobb Salad and it was great. It looked something like this:

Lobstercobb.jpg

Of course, the lobster is served cooked and chilled and it was great. I did wish that I had asked for a little melted butter on the side that I could have dipped the lobster chunks into, but once I started eating, I did not want to wait for the waiter to come by, go get the melted butter, etc. I will say that, typically, when eating cold lobster, it is mixed with mayonnaise, but this was plain and the only dressing was a vinaigrette that covered the vegetables. Anyway, it was really good and I highly recommend this type of salad when you come to New England!

jrbiz, Mar 17, 2016 IP
    Rado_ and Vitarank like this.
  4. Knight_Dark26

Knight_Dark26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How about for this <3 <3 <3
    Chicken Alfredo, roasted garlic, sautéed onions, button mushrooms and black olives with pan seared chicken breast and minced pepperoni tossed with an Al dente pasta and a homemade béchamel sauce seasoned with thyme and sage garnished with shaved Parmesan finished with torn parsley leaves. 12628492_1237708009579429_6736911254161863142_o.jpg

Knight_Dark26, Mar 17, 2016 IP
    Vitarank, jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, it looks great! And I am sure that it tastes great, too! I am impressed by the portion sizes, as well. This is my type of meal! Did you make it, yourself? If so, where was this wonderful dish made and eaten? We may have to include a stop at your place for the DP World Foodie Tour. :)

jrbiz, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  6. Knight_Dark26

Best Answers:
    my brother made it.its a homemade.thanks for appreciating....:):)

Knight_Dark26, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Kudo's to your brother! I wish that my brother could cook such a great dish. Unfortunately, he is mostly good at drinking beer. :)

jrbiz, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  8. Knight_Dark26

Best Answers:

your definitely right :)

Knight_Dark26, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Does your brother cook professionally or is he just a great amateur? The presentation kind of led me to believe that he is a pro.

jrbiz, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  10. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vitarank, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. Rado_

Rado_ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh my god... I'm really happy that I've had a big meal before I saw this picture... It's so mouthwatering.

Rado_, Mar 21, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I cannot tell you how many times I have posted those same sentiments on this thread. :)

I will add that the salad had so many things that I like: lobster, bleu cheese, avocado, egg, and more.

jrbiz, Mar 21, 2016 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Those of you who recall some of my Christmastime posts about my search for the perfect fruitcake probably will not be surprised to learn that Saint Patrick's Day also is high on my list because it provides me with yet another way to eat baked goods with candied fruit as an ingredient: Hot Cross Buns!

Hot-Cross-Buns.jpg

These delectable treats suddenly appear in the grocery store and on bakery shelves a week or two before the holiday and are quite different from fruitcake in that a bread dough is used instead of a cake batter to make them. Had a particularly good batch this year ("good" being defined as a light, fluffy bread dough chock full of a variety on candied fruits.) Sometimes, if the dough is a bit on the dry side, I will spread some butter on it, but this year's batch was fresh and moist and wonderful. Highly recommended if you have not tried them before!

jrbiz, Mar 25, 2016 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, my colleague returned from NZ and provided me with pineapple lumps to sample. I had no idea that they are covered in CHOCOLATE!!! :)
    How can you go wrong with pineapple and chocolate in the same candy? They are wonderful. I told him that the texture of the pineapple "filling" reminds me of a cross of nougat and saltwater taffy candies that we have here. Very nice texture, in fact.

But, he also brought me another candy sample:

FlakeCandy.jpg

I have to tell you: it was DARN good! Really, really liked it. To me, it had kind of a chocolatey/caramel taste about it and I absolutely loved the soft, melt in your mouth "flaky" texture.

I asked him about the milk bottles and he agreed that they are great, but could not provide me a sample as he had already eaten them all. ;)

I shared a piece of each candy with my wife tonight (how often do you get to eat a piece of candy from and native to a country on the other side of the world?) and she also liked them both, but preferred the pineapple lump.

So, we have already begun planning in earnest for the DP World Foodie Tour and the Special Select Subcommittee on Transportation and Dessert seems to be leaning toward more extensively waterproofing the Tour Bus so that it can be run as a submersible when not on land. Whether we go that route or just have it float across the oceans remains to be seen, but we will certainly outfit it in preparation for circling the globe and NZ is on the visit list, for sure! The Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Planning, Scheduling, and Soup is estimating that the trip, with all agreed upon stops and foods to sample as scheduled now, will take about 4 months to complete, so please plan accordingly. It is also recommended that, in addition to the clothes that you plan to wear early in the trip, you should bring clothes a size or two larger than usual for your comfort during the last half of the trip.

jrbiz, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am going to be traveling to Kuala Lumpur in a few months. I have already promised myself that I would try Durian.
    I have never even seen one in real life before.

I am trying to get the full cultural experience. Anyone been to Malaysia? What else should I try?

Matthew Sayle, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Flakes and Crunchie bars are awesome crumbled over the whipped cream you've smothered your pavlova with :)

It's all pretty good in Malaysia.

Just do better than my daughter's first meal in a street stall in KL - luckily she had her back to the food prep area and didn't see the rat that was scuttling around.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    sarahk, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    jrbiz and Matthew Sayle like this.
  17. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Your daughter is absolutely adorable!

Rats don't bother me, as long as they aren't used as a seasoning.

I know just north of Malaysia they love eating deep fried tarantulas.

If I see that, I may pass out.

jrbiz likes this.
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I just googled it and, I have to admit, I would want to try it, too. Though I have qualms. :) Take a pic of it when you sit down to eat it there and post it here.

jrbiz, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    Matthew Sayle likes this.
  19. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I sure will!

jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I went to one of my favorite local seafood restaurants last month, Legal Seafood, and was disappointed that they did not have a fish that they first introduced to the public but only offer when available: monkfish. Let me start by saying that the monkfish may win the award for the ugliest looking fish in the ocean:

Monk+whole.jpg

However, once preapared, it is known around these parts (note that Legal Seafood's original restaurant was right in the Boston area) as "poor man's lobster" and with good cause. The fish has the texture and taste of lobster. Perhaps not exactly the same for the lobster purist, but close enough for me. And no shells to crack and nowhere near as expensive as the real thing. I really, really like this dish:

Monkfish-cooked.jpg

For centuries, New England fishermen treated these creatures as "junk fish" when caught in their nets. Legal Seafoods pioneered this as a signature dish of theirs. It may be a seasonal thing, because it is not always on the menu (as evidenced by my last couple of visits) but it has become the first thing I ask about when I am at one of their restaurants (which have sprung up in airports and other places around the country.) I have mentioned their clam chowder in a previous post on this thread.

Anyway, if you ever see monkfish on the menu, give it a try (especially if you like lobster.)

jrbiz, Apr 2, 2016 IP