1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Long page loading time?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by thatirishvegan, Feb 29, 2016.

Hi, I am relatively new to this whole blogging thing and was wondering if someone could help? I created a blog 2 days ago and have been looking at the Google Analytics information and it says I have an average page load time of 11 secs. This seems way too long to me.

Ive tried changing the theme to a more simple one but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Anybody know what might be causing this?

The blog is on Wordpress using Hostgator and I I've had around 300 views in the past 2 days.

Thanks!

thatirishvegan, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  2. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should try using a caching plugin such as WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache.
    I wrote a guide on how to set up WP Super Cache here: https://www.localnode.net/guides/speed-up-wordpress-wp-super-cache/
    There's plenty of guides for other caching plugins (a simple google would be enough)
    Also, look at optimising your images (EWWW Image Optimizer plugin).

Once you've set up WP Super Cache, it's a good idea to preload the cache.

Furthermore, a CDN will definitely help. CloudFlare is a popular one for free. There's also paid ones such as MaxCDN, CDN77, and KeyCDN.

Localnode, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  3. thatirishvegan

thatirishvegan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Okay thanks for the reply! Ill give that I go and see if it works.

4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tools.pingdom.com

Check your site with that load speed tester and you can get an idea of what is taking a long time. How many total file requests does your site have? Is it a lot?

billzo, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  5. thatirishvegan

thatirishvegan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just used that site and it said my requests were 578 page size 5.6MB and load time 4.5 sec. I feel like this is quite a lot of stuff to load?

I can't see anywhere where it is causing major delays but it might be from the pictures on my website.

Thanks for the help!

6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Got a link? Sorta flying blind otherwise.

N.

Nigel Lew, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  7. thatirishvegan

thatirishvegan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sure http://thatirishvegan.com/

Thanks!

8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok check here... https://gtmetrix.com/reports/thatirishvegan.com/ZFEsT1hL You will probably have to manually compress the images in question that are on the wp cdn. See optimize images section.

That plus expires headers area on Yslow and you will be all set. I am guessing you got super cache running because the page is much smaller already.

hope that helps, its easy stuff. For the latter here is an explanation. It simply goes at the bottom of .htaccess
    https://gtmetrix.com/add-expires-headers.html
    N.

Nigel Lew, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  9. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    God...how much I love Wordpress.
    Some might argue that the site loading speed is a ranking factor. If someone tells you that, you should slap him in the face and move along.
    That said, I doesn`t mean that loading speed is not an important factor. It is important for visitors usability. If the website takes a long time to load, the visitors might close it and never come back. That said, you should aim for a 3 second loading time.
    How fast does your website load when you visit it? What is your bounce rate?
    You should deactivate some of your plugins (the ones you don`t need) and also use a caching plugin.
    After you do that, come back here and tell us how it went.

HCFGrizzly, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  10. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    Loads much quicker: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/eGjg63/thatirishvegan.com
    Look in cPanel - click "optimize website" - then select "compress ALL content". That should also help.

I highly suggest optimising images - EWW Image Optimizer is free. It has a bulk option - so you don't have to go through each and every image manually.

Localnode, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  11. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is loading fine now. Your total requests is 148 which is very large. Your main index page wait time is 823 milliseconds, which is good for dynamically-generated, non-cached page on a shared server.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dLgzXQ/http://thatirishvegan.com/

You are including files from a few different servers and a slowdown on any of them can result in slow loading. It is far from peak internet traffic at this time, but there are no problems I can see with your load performance.

billzo, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  12. thatirishvegan

thatirishvegan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah I installed EWW Image Optimizer and WP Super Cache and that seems to have helped it for now! Ill have to have a look into caching a bit more in the future.

Thanks for the help everyone!

thatirishvegan, Mar 2, 2016 IP
  13. HostWinds_Jesse

HostWinds_Jesse Member

Best Answers:
    I have under 2 second load time on my marketplace website and a 741ms load time on the forum. But the marketplace is still being populated with products. I don't add any unnecessary plugins or scripts into any of my code to keep load time as low as possible. Everyone hates it when you click on a website and it takes forever to connect. You do what I do, move on to another site.

HostWinds_Jesse, May 30, 2016 IP