1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What type of programs is C# best used for?

Discussion in 'C#' started by CParkerWriting, Feb 14, 2016.

I'm starting my programming courses in my CIS degree, and I've completed the C# courses. I'm wondering if C#is widely used, or if it's just used as a starting point in the college curriculum? I've heard of Java, SQL, UNIX, and wondering if there are better languages to get familiar with rather than C#. Not that I can get my degree and not take C#, but since I'm finished with it, will it be likely that I'll ever use it?

CParkerWriting, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It might help if we knew what your career goals are. If you want to be a freelance website developer then the answer is no. If you want to work in a huge corporate then the answer might be yes - but we'd still need to know what kind of role you were hoping to get.

sarahk, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  3. CParkerWriting

CParkerWriting Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe a little freelance, but I'm looking more like the corporate world.

CParkerWriting, Feb 15, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And... again... "Corporate" != "Corporate" - not even a little bit. Your question tells me that you might not be very well versed in CS to begin with - I mean, of the things you listed, JAVA is the only thing which is a programming language - SQL is Structured Query Language, and while _can_ be considered a programming language for database-control, it's really not (even though some people try to make it do stuff that it's not designed to do). UNIX is a a _very_ broad definition of a family of operating systems, which aren't much used anymore (Linux have taken over - and it is _not the same_, even though philosophy, commands and such are fairly similar).

WHAT exactly are you hoping to do in the "corporate world" - describe your dream job. What do you want to do every day? What do you want to hone your skills for?

PoPSiCLe, Feb 15, 2016 IP
  5. CParkerWriting

CParkerWriting Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for pointing out that I am not well versed in CS. As I said, I'm just starting out working on my CIS degree. C# is the first language that I have completed, which is why I asked the question.
    I'm not sure why you would want to rant and try to point out that I don't know what I'm talking about. I never claimed that I was an expert, in fact, just the opposite. I wouldn't have asked the question if I already knew the answer.

CParkerWriting, Feb 15, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hence why I tried to help you. Given that it is you in the profile picture, why would you enter CIS if you know nothing about computers? I'm just wondering. Usually, people entering such studies have at least some knowledge about programming and/or code.
    By all means, I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just wondering - these things, the errors you make in your statement, etc. tells me you should be studying more - not the curriculum, just anything. Build a computer or four, take apart a laptop, read this forum (the programming section) thoroughly, start coding small apps and web pages, make something with your newfound knowledge of C# - the sky is the limit, as they say.

That is also why I asked "what do you want to do". If you have no idea what you want to do, then it's very hard to tell you whether or not the language(s) you're learning is of any use to you. If you say you want to create bank-software, then we can say "yeah, then you should work on learning something else". C# is mostly used for creating .NET code and/or Windows apps. Probably a lot more than that as well, I've never dabbled that much in C#.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of languages and dialects out there - while learning one will make it easier to learn another, you cannot master them all, and master at least one or two, you should. Hence why it's important to focus on learning something well enough that you can code with it, and know what you can use it for, not the least. If you have to ask what you can do with a language, there's a chance that language isn't the one you should be learning.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 15, 2016 IP
  7. Eager2Seo

Eager2Seo Member

Best Answers:
    C# mostly used on Windows. It is open source but 99% of the time it is a considered a Windows language (just as Obj C is a Mac thing). C# is used for both Win desktop APPLICATION software (a customer service application for example), and also to create websites using ASP or MVC. Generally you would not use C# to create something like photoshop or an operating system. It could be done, but that is not the best tool. In the corporate world it is about 50/50 Java and C#. They are both kind of similar, but C# has more modern features.

Eager2Seo, Mar 1, 2016 IP
  8. mkkhatri

mkkhatri Member

Best Answers:
    It is mainly used with asp.net, a programming language.

mkkhatri, Apr 13, 2017 IP