1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that, the problem is that this thread is so long that to read it all would probably take an hour or more. But a person could just read a bit, then go back to it later and pick up where they left off.
    But I do agree that there are some useful tips on here. I would say that the tip most on here use, is to listen to music as you have stated.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  2. Linda March

Linda March Peon

Best Answers:
    Music is the way :)

Probably because it gives you a background noise and won't make you think on other things while you writing. I go with an idea, start the music and just go about until I finish the article. When I have to write articles in domains that I know, it's easier. It's harder to concentrate when you have to make some research for the article and you try to learn about somethings.

Linda March, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    When I have to research I require dead silence. No music, I shut the ringer on my phone and if my doorbell rings, I ignore it. I even place a cover on my birds to shut them up, and let the dogs out so they won't distract me.

I...must...have...silence!

Spoiltdiva, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  4. Karri

Karri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm one of those rare people who can write with perfect concentration even though there'd be 3rd World War on with nukes dropping on my backyard. But I come from a big family where it was essential to be able to shut off everything outside.

Karri, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If that stuff is dropping in your backyard, don't worry about either punctuation or grammar. Nobody will be around to check it anyway.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  6. helpandhelp

helpandhelp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are different types of writers. I must say that i respect some writers because they do write even if they are eating resting, playing and travelling. Every situation brings up a new topic for a talented writer. Even, having nothing to write about is a good topic to write about.

helpandhelp, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I like that, you have writing in your blood.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  8. Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't feel like writing then you start writing and the feeling will come. Writing is work. It doesn't depend on feeling. Now if you are burnt out then that's another story. But suppose everyone went by how they felt, little work will get done.

Ray Edwards, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    To a point I agree, to an ordinary writer "writing is work". But to a great writer writing is a passion. This thread is more about trying to get the passion when it's not there, than just writing. I'm sure you would agree that there is a difference.
    I suppose any of us could bang away on the keyboards, and mechanically churn out uninspired words and phrases.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  10. DigitalDistortion

DigitalDistortion Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the secret is that it's more work than we'd like to think. If you keep showing up, inspiration will eventually strike. "Mechanically churning out uninspired words and phrases" is what it takes sometimes; you have to grunt through some shoveling before you find the buried treasure.

DigitalDistortion, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  11. Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards Member

Best Answers:
    Passion is oversold, even in the world of romance. :) Even when you don't feel passionate you are
    expected to still treat your spouse with love. Passion alone cannot maintain the discipline that
    writing requires. We all get tired and fedup of even the things we love and discipline is what will
    take us over those bumps.

Ray Edwards, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The shovel that you require to unearth the buried treasure is motivation. Grunting through it won't secure you any gems, gold or silver in your work. But it probably will pay a few bills.
    @Ray Edwards
    I cannot accept that discipline alone can inspire enough for inspirational writing. I see good writers as akin to artists with a brush. Can the artist find the color in their souls when uninspired, and thus transfer the colors to the canvas?
    We all see the difference from a weekend artist who painted from their garage to a Rembrandt. I think emotion and passion play an important part in writing. If discipline and mercenary gain is all there is, then I would rather seek another way to make a living.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  13. Connor Harrison

Connor Harrison Member

Best Answers:
    There are many times I am not in the mood to write. During those times, I sit down and color a picture or cook a dish. A thing of beauty is a joy forever. So eventually, this becomes my next post. Posting 4 times a week is definitely a discipline! :) I am getting ready to start the 30-day challenge in my blog. Once in a while I work on Haiku's and sometimes a poem that explains what I feel at that moment. It's just letting out that particular emotion you feel without worrying about what the world might think! :)

Connor Harrison, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Shout, shout, let it all out!:)Breaking free from the daily regimen and constraints of life in order to free up one's creative side, will produce better content as opposed to forcing output due to a work ethic. Both are important and both are essential. (creative motivation/work ethic)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  15. Karri

Karri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Except that to write consistently you need to stick to a daily regime; sit down and write. Nothing else works, for me at least. Waiting for inspiration is just an excuse not to write. Granted, maybe it's not beautiful text, but then shifting through shit to find that piece of gold, or in other words editing, is 99% of all writing anyways.

Karri, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  16. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you cant get inspired, or you face lack of passion in writing, then maybe writing is not for you.
    people no doubt pay for a skill that they can not do themselves, give them your best or not at all...
    I would respect you more if you say you just dont have the passion to write my content, then give
    me bland content that is so tone def that it would just not interest anyone to read it, after all, you
    only have mere seconds to gain the readers attention to keep them reading...If visitors zap out quickly,
    then google will ultimately think that your content does not appeal to your visitors, so lack of passion
    in the content can hurt rankings for the very clients you are providing sub-par content....

dscurlock, Feb 20, 2016 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Would you recognize inspired writing if you saw it? Choice of wording is paramount as is character when writing.

@dscurlock
    We all have instances when our passion leaves us and I agree that lack of passion will affect writing. This thread seeks to find ways to retrieve it when it leaves us. Many talented writers have offered tips here on how to inspire and motivate themselves in order to give their best.

I think that any writer who claims that they ALWAYS give you their best on any given day is being untruthful. A good writer however will always *attempt* to give their best on most days and be sincere in that endeavour.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 21, 2016 IP
  18. DigitalDistortion

DigitalDistortion Peon

Best Answers:
    This is really my point.

SpoiltDiva, I agree that, "We all see the difference from a weekend artist who painted from their garage to a Rembrandt." While it's certainly not the only thing worth considering, I think one important difference between the weekend artist and Rembrandt is that Remmy was more than a weekend warrior!

DigitalDistortion, Feb 27, 2016 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point, some do not wish to be merely churning out pathetic garbage like a "weekend warrior" and require inspiration as a Rembrandt would. The desire to achieve is what I'm advocating. So how do we achieve when the inspiration eludes us?

Spoiltdiva, Mar 1, 2016 IP
  20. Marcin Pawlikowski

Marcin Pawlikowski Peon

Best Answers:
    I always treat writing like a something thich NEEDS to be done. Regardless if I'm in a good mood or not.
    Coffee is always helpful - it helps me stay more focus on what I'm doing. Especially if it's with a chocolate bar. Endorphines, you know... :).

Marcin Pawlikowski, Mar 7, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.