1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is The Baby Hosting Plan on HostGator Good for a Beginning Blogger?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Noitartst, Jan 9, 2016.

So you know, I put this thread here, because I'm not looking to buy a web-hosting plan, just get some advice, for doing so.

Specifically, I have been taking counsel from LynnTerry, and Self-Starters Weekly Tips Forums, but only grains of salt, shall we say. She recommended I take the Baby hosting plan at HostGator, which seemed reasonable to me to take. Then, she also recommended a certain coupon, which resulted in raising the price by a full hundred dollars.

I already own a domain. What should I do, for web-hosting my new blog?

Noitartst, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's interesting. I did not know that HG was doing that. What is the coupon? Also keep in mind that you do not have to use the suggested coupon code.

You are not looking for hosting you said. But you seem to be. There are lots of hosts to choose from. I think you can also use a custom domain on something like Blogger if you want a free and less flexible alternative. What are you looking for and how much--if anything--are you willing to spend? And how much traffic and page views do you have?

billzo, Jan 9, 2016 IP
  3. Noitartst

Noitartst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm trying to figure out what place to buy from, and I'm still making my decision; I want input, but not a sales pitch. SiteGround seems good for a beginner, like me, though for some reason, I can'y show its link, here.

Boostblogtraffic.com recommends it, but given they have a vested interest promoting it, I take that recommendation with salt.

LynnTerry, from the Self-Starters Weekly Tips Forums recommended I take the Baby plan at HostGator, which seemed reasonable to me to take. Then, she also recommended a certain coupon, which resulted in raising the price by a few hundred dollars.

I already own a domain. What should I do, for web-hosting? HostGator good? Key thing is, I'm looking for good tech support, in the event of a crash.

And cheapness, of course; I am under a budget, you know.

Sent a message to Lynn before the weekend, haven't heard back, since; that lack of feedback, thus slowed my decision-making on setting up a host.

Am still learning how to video-edit. With my internal WebCam software not working, I've been obliged to use my webcam over this site, here: Video Recorder
    to record footage.

Just having to bounce ideas off of, is great; saw saw someone a business-mentoring place, but given he focused on running nuts-and-bolts businesses, and I'm focused on marketing, and promotion, of a blog.

But , to re-assert my key concern: Think SiteGround a match, for a Wordpress blog?

Noitartst, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like Siteground is pretty cheap. If support is important to you, then forget about HG. I have read many, many complaints about people having to wait 3 or 4 days for replies to support tickets.

Any decent web host that does not overload their servers will be fine for a Wordpress blog.

billzo, Jan 11, 2016 IP
  5. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Huh...heard any stories like that, of waiting 3-4 days on SiteGround? I'm thinking of getting it.

Noitartst, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  6. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Hm. SiteGround offers Hack Alert monitoring for the site--at the rate of some twelve more dollars a year, for the service--is it worth it?

Noitartst, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  7. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    You can look at Centex hosting. The basic share plan would be enough for what you need.

No over selling
    cloud linux
    ddos protection

CenTex Hosting, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  8. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Add-ons like that are almost never worth the cost.

billzo, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  9. Daniel Myers

Daniel Myers Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally when a person recommends a hosting company and gives you a coupon this can result in a commission to them. I would search around and find a cheaper plan. You can always go with GoDaddy or VodaHost for your blog site.

Daniel Myers, Feb 1, 2016 IP
  10. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd highly suggest steering clear of HostGator web hosting - or any other EIG brand for that matter.
    EIG are notorious for buying reputable hosting companies and then running them into the ground.

Localnode, Feb 1, 2016 IP
  11. ioZoom

ioZoom Member

Best Answers:
    Confused here because the baby plan is 6.96/month and if you enter in a coupon code (which gives commission to the referrer), the price goes up by a few hundred bucks?

ioZoom, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  12. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the coupon code???

It could be that HG is now charging more to pay the affiliate commission which is going to mean the end of webmasters promoting HG. I have heard of that kind of thing before and hope it does not spread because customers are not so stupid as they are going to pay more for advertising to themselves. The purpose of advertising is to drive sales, not to increase the cost to customers to drive sales.

Who is going to be willing to pay more because they clicked on an advertisement they saw? And what kind of "coupon code" ends up jacking up the price? And why would any webmaster promote something that is going to leave a negative feeling in the minds of customers? They'll just sign up without using the coupon code or link and then the webmaster is promoting the host for free.

One more thing: when I went to the HostGator site they already have a coupon code entered for their promo. So when you enter another coupon code, it could be for less discount than what the current promo coupon code is.

When I cleared the default coupon code, it suggested another coupon code and I entered the suggested code and the price was higher than it was with the default coupon code.

Simple solution: Don't use any coupon code other than the default already entered when you go to the purchase screen.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    billzo, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  13. ioZoom

ioZoom Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry you misunderstood me. I mean't it don't make any sense for you to enter in a coupon code and the price increasing. And the increase is for a couple hundred bucks? Don't make any sense so something must be wrong there.

ioZoom, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  14. learnwebsitedesigncom

learnwebsitedesigncom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I host some of my websites with HostGator and I'm completely happy with their support. I always use their online chat service and if I'm going to nit pick, the biggest issue that I've had is that I've had to wait fifteen minutes recently, which wasn't the case before.

You can find cheaper hosting if you pay monthly but you can also get a discount if you pay one, two or three years in advance.

learnwebsitedesigncom, Aug 19, 2016 IP
  15. MechanicWeb-shoss

MechanicWeb-shoss Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may want to think twice before going with HG. Have a look at web hosting forums instead of looking at here, which it seems, is full of affiliates.

MechanicWeb-shoss, Oct 4, 2016 IP
  16. OtB WordPress Hosting

OtB WordPress Hosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No. HostGator is garbage. There aren't any hosts in that price range that are actually good, but the least bad is SiteGround, which is actually pretty good if you go with their $7.50/mo plan, since it comes with their caching software.

OtB WordPress Hosting, Oct 15, 2016 IP