1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by kyawnaingmin, Jan 6, 2016.

Please! All friend, Help Me.
    My website databaes size is over 100GB. What kind of Hosting fair for my website data. Please!

kyawnaingmin, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  2. wiredcom

wiredcom Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your MYSQL database is 100GB??? Or are you saying all the files in public_html add up to 100GB? If your database is truly 100GB how much transfer do you use per month? If this is a high traffic site and database intensive you would need multiple servers for it to have any kind of performance.. Can you clarify?

wiredcom, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  3. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ask to have your website migrated to a provider of your choice.

Abelo, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  4. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For the data size you have you may need to consider a dedicated server specially if you are having heavy traffic on your site.

Benpick, Jan 8, 2016 IP
  5. kyawnaingmin

kyawnaingmin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, Everyone can see the whole our country data in a website and I created English language & our native language but our native language is not support google translate so my website databaes size is larger than 2x.

kyawnaingmin, Jan 12, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Even though you have to have everything stored in the database, that should just be text... To have a database of 100GB you have to have more than just text - or you're storing it in a very awkward way. Or, of course, you have millions of users, which I doubt. 1 GB can hold about 130000 pages (each page being about 8000 characters in total) (this is a thought-experiment, using fixed-font metrics and font-size 10) - raw text-storage in database works a little different, but the overhead should be rather small, if the database is set up correctly. 100 GB should be... I dunno. Enough for quite a bit of text. I'm thinking that there is something we're missing here, or the site in question is insanely large, and a lot of stuff is stored in the database, probably without any reason, or stored in the wrong format, creating lots of overhead.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I think what he's saying is that he has text translation in there - rather than 2 versions of each article. It is a fantastic achievement. The size is a concern and, personally, I'd want to review the structure, indexing etc to see if there was any opportunity to save some space. I just checked out my daily sql dumps and there's one that is 262,636kb, holds 10 years of data, but I know there are two extremely bloated tables in there - the audit trail and the recent actions table. To have a database that is 400 times bigger is quite something!

sarahk, Jan 12, 2016 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Well, regardless - even if it's a translation-setup, 100GB is ridiculous.

I'm running my own translation setup for a site I'm working on - Content is stored in the database in English (mostly, although some elements are stored multiple times with different language codes), and if a user uses another language than English (currently only Norwegian is fully supported, since I haven't gotten around to translate it to other languages as of yet), it will translate the content into Norwegian - either automatically from the database using set translation-files (which, if the word in English doesn't exist in Norwegian translation, it will simply just use the English word, and log the missing word to a log-file) - or via definitions in the code-files, which then will find the correct sentence or word in the language-files. Currently, this more or less halves the amount of data in the database, and the language-files are around 30k each (but also contains a bit of code and localization and such, so probably around 20k in pure text).

PoPSiCLe, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  9. kyawnaingmin

kyawnaingmin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I m not a pro, I m beginner. Why my website databaes is very large? I use WYSIWYG web builder software. 240,000 pages in my website, for one language. Total pages for 2 language is 480,000 pages. It is a possible 100GB? Please.

kyawnaingmin, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    100 GB is EXTREMELY large. What are you storing in the database? Could you maybe give us an example of what is stored for one page? Using a web-builder software shouldn't really matter - however, I'm suspecting that there is something extremely wrong with how you store stuff, or rather WHAT you store in the database. Depends of course how much is on each page - if you're pages contain the complete Bible each, of course they will take up space. Although, 240k pages for one language is still extremely high - what is this site about? I mean... how do people find anything in such a large site?

PoPSiCLe, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Are you using a content management system that saves drafts of your pages? Getting rid of drafts can often make a difference.

sarahk, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  12. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Not a 100 GB difference. What I'm wondering is if this system he's using is storing the entire page, not just the content, in the database. Regardless of how many pages we're talking about, 100 GB would be enough to store the equivalent of the Library of Alexandria several times over. And still be able to store your favorite Netflix-shows.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  13. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    If your database file is really that large. Most host would tell you that you need to be on a dedicated server. Every shared web hosting account is going to limit resources like this as it will affect other customers on that server.

So the best option would be go with a dedicated server. If you do have a ton of traffic then I would look at setting up a cluster to handle the load.

CenTex Hosting, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  14. Daniel Myers

Daniel Myers Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a very large website for the pages you have. Do you have a lot of images on the site? Images can take up space. If you use videos or audio files this can add the GB of your site.

Daniel Myers, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Regardless of whether or not there are hundreds of videos or pictures or not, it shouldn't affect the size of the database in any significant way. If you store pictures or videos as blob or any other way of showing the actual content of the file into the database, you're doing something wrong.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 3, 2016 IP