1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Schema or Structured microdata

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Stevendee4, Jan 4, 2016.

I use dreamweaver for templates in wordpress and like to know if anyone knows 1) a good extention for schema in dreamweaver or 2) how to keep the schema code active as the code in wordpress is taken out if you move from the text (or HTML) code view to the Visual view, when you go back to the code view your schema is taken out. i have 4 of my first blogs done with Schema www.natures-slimtea.com.au

Also google has just changed the article criteria so all articles before 3 days ago need to be redone becuase the required fields have Changed. Test this page http://natures-slimtea.com/blogs/news with google structured data tester https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/

Stevendee4, Jan 4, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    friends don't let friends use dreamweaver :)

The last time I did any serious amount of work with WP templates they had evolved so much in the way that the html is cut that I'd be really surprised if any tools like dreamweaver had plugins that did a decent job.

sarahk, Jan 4, 2016 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. Stevendee4

Stevendee4 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you can get some plugins for schema but they dont update them , then after you check the code in a few months , the code has to many errors, now i do it all manually but done from inside dreamweaver so i can see the codes color-coded structure

Stevendee4, Jan 4, 2016 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most, if not all, text editors allow for syntax coloring. It is much better to use formatting to convey the document's structure, plus, using a strong formatting scheme will hi-lite many syntactical errors.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    They usually don't let them use turdpress either.

deathshadow, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Just remember, Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift make billions too, (or at least millions while their label makes billions off them, then cry poverty when the tax man shows up) -- doesn't make what they do good, or involve talent, or even music.

See "Kanye West".

It's actually kind of sad when a talented artist like Stefani Germanotta has to pretend she's not talented, auto-tune the crap out of her cookie cutter rubbish and act like a tramp on stage just to meet everyone's accepted norm for a pop star and so teens with less taste than 80's AM radio go Gaga over her schlock. Though I give her big props for recognizing the market.

deathshadow, Jan 5, 2016 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. Stevendee4

Stevendee4 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    were talking about structured data here so lets not get sidetracked

Stevendee4, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Well, on topic what are you trying to accomplish by adding schema or other bloated microdata to the already plainfully broken non-semanitc invalid train wreck of how not to build a website?

No offense, but to be frank throwing more code at that mess is NOT the answer here. You've got multiple og:image (any past the first is ignored), a pointless og:type (it's a website? Who knew?!?), meta tags in the body (where they are COMPLETLY invalid and should be making search ignore you), tables for layout that ALSO appears to be tables for nothing, pointlessly redundant title attribues, metadata asshattery that's not how ANY schema or microdata type I've ever seen works, invalid gibberish nesting of lists (the only valid direct child of a UL is LI. You have UL in UL with no intervening LI, with only one LI so what the **** makes those lists?), nonsensical use of numbered headings (multiple H1 not corresponding to SECTION tags, H3 with no H2), strong tags inside headings (likely ALSO getting you slapped down by search), paragraph tags around what should be h4, no paragraph tags around text that should be paragraphs, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless allegedly semantic and pointlessly redundant HTML 4 tags, endless pointless presentational use of classes (do I smell bootcrap?), invalid/incomplete broken forms, unneccesary/unused attributes in a 5 document, clearfix like it's still 2002, that stupid malfing halfwit "let's wrap the html tag in a half dozen IE CC's" rubbish Paul Irish pissed all over the web with, overstuffed keywords META (It's called keyWORDS!), multiple absolute URL's for no good reason, og:description with no universal description meta, static scripting in the markup, blocking scripts loaded in head (hence the painful to watch load time), the massive "wall of links" before the content creating "link overload" so users say "oh whis much be a scam", even more endless pointless title attributes...

It's not exactly a suprise you have 131k of markup to deliver 54k of plaintext (about 40% over the cutoff for what most users will put up with on a page), and a dozen and a half content images; easily 30 to 40% more markup than necessary... hence the 24 second first-load.

... and that's before we talk about the inaccessible fixed metric fonts, non-fluid layout and broken attempt at being responsive.

Which is why I'd suggest throwing that entire mess in the trash and starting over. It's enough of a mess without pissing all over with with the microformat crap that only exists to make content thieves lives easier.

Again, sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the truth of it. Looks like shopify put the saddle on you and took you for a ride.

Though given the pseudo-science quackery of the website itself, surprised you didn't recognize pseudo-developer quackery.

deathshadow, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  10. Stevendee4

Stevendee4 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for the review yes shopify are no good when it comes to search engines, they dont give you much to work with

Stevendee4, Jan 6, 2016 IP