1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem with white space - top of page - bootstrap

Discussion in 'CSS' started by mrdigital, Dec 28, 2015.

Problem with white space on top of page using bootstrap.

What is odd is for some pages there is no problem.
    www.lingorich.com

But for blog pages the white space is displayed.
    www.lingorich.com/blog-en

Thanks in advance for any help.

mrdigital, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Silly as it is, I think the blank line before the doctype is causing it.... which is odd as it exists in both sites, but deleting it in dragonfly fixes that gap -- but really this entire mess is a poster child for everything wrong with bootcrap which is why I'd suggest finding a stick to scrape that off with.

There are any of a dozen things wrong before even the BODY tag is opened, which is why for some reason your <head> elements seem to be landing in <body> on the DOM. It could be that stupid malfing nested IE conditional comment garbage that Paul Irish pissed all over the web by creating, the use of the HTML 5-tard elements that require a scripttard polyfill to even function, static style in the markup, static scripting in the markup, gibberish use of numbered headings, comment placements that could trip rendering bugs (yes, comments, those things browsers are supposed to ignore, can trip bugs if placed wrong), endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, attributes like target that have no business on any website written after 1997, scripting doing CSS' job with the show/hide menu (a bootcrap hallmark)... Even the content of the langauge definition is wrong -- looks like you have some form of goofy tag parsing templating system on the back end that's not parsing it. Template "systems" like smarty piss me off, PHP already is a template system, why the **** do people feel the need to run another one atop it?!?

Which is how you have 23k of markup on that blog page for 1.6k of plaintext and four content images, likely three or even four times the code needed -- just as it's a slow loading painful to watch train wreck at 2 megabytes in 44 separate files, more than half that being scripttardery and CSS on a site who's appearance is so basic it shouldn't need more than 16k of scripts and 24k of CSS in TWO files! (since I see no media targets)

My advice would be to toss that mess and start over actually using HTML and CSS properly, instead of the halfwit crutch for the inept that is bootstrap. It's only resulting in a fat bloated overweight monster that nobody is going to sit there with their thumb up their backside waiting for it to load, that is also a giant middle finger to users on the accessibility front.

deathshadow, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  3. mrdigital

mrdigital Active Member

Best Answers:
    I actually was very curious of that first blank line myself. In answer to your question the 'template system' I'm using is considerably quicker than smarty but like any of them adds an overhead. Template systems do by and large help separate the business and display logic which is useful for larger sites.

Generally speaking though. You're right, you're right! But nobody likes a smarty pants.

Some white space at the end of the template file was the cause.

I'm seriously very grateful soilder.

mrdigital, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    White space at the end shouldn't affect anything - if it does, you have serious problems. That's the gist of it. Templating systems does nothing to help separating anything, regardless of the size of the site - it should not be needed, regardless. You have specific functionality to show database content on the pages, which should not care about any type of templating system, really - if anything, using BBcodes in the stored content in the database, if you don't want to store actual HTML.
    I've never understood the need for templating systems - they never seem to add any value, and makes modifying the actual code a real pain in the ass (granted, the only real system I've worked with is Smarty, which is pure and utter garbage).

And yes, the HTML on that page is pure and utter garbage - really.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  5. mrdigital

mrdigital Active Member

Best Answers:
    Deathshadow: Nobody likes a smarty pants. That was a Sheldon quote from TBBT. I like you Deathshadow.

PoPSiCLe: HTML is garbage - accepted. You also said "You have specific functionality to show database content on the pages" OK OK. Nobody likes a smarty pants. LOL

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    mrdigital, Dec 29, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, well... given my history in programming, that makes me Wil Wheaton. :p

deathshadow, Dec 29, 2015 IP
  7. mrdigital

mrdigital Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can call me Penny. That's just how bright I feel.

mrdigital, Dec 29, 2015 IP