1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bring on the Christmas Global Warming!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Dec 23, 2015.

It's a couple days before Christmas and, here in New England, we could be up to our arses in snow and ice with temps well below freezing. Instead, we are seeing weather maps like this:

xmasheatwave.jpg

The warmest Christmas Eve on record for Boston (I live about 40 minutes southwest of Boston) was 61F/16C and they are thinking we will beat that tomorrow! Keep in mind that our normal temperature this time of year is right around 33F/1C. So, if this is the result of Global Warming, then I am going to start burning coal outside in my backyard to help it along. Maybe fill up some cans with oil and light them, too. Who knows, if I do enough polluting and the oceans begin to rise, I could have beachfront property to fully leverage the year-round warmth!

A lot of people we run into these days, of course, are saying that it does not feel like Christmas without the cold and the snow, but I say to them, "Bah Humbug! You don't have to shovel heat to get your car out of the driveway or chip warmth off your windshield to see out of it." Burn baby burn! :)

jrbiz, Dec 23, 2015 IP
  2. mohsin qureshi

mohsin qureshi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Warm weather, like this time never heard or record before speacially in Westeren Countries, I guess. Its true this year climate overall changed; glaciers are melting and sea level up and up. Is this all cause of Global Warming?

[​IMG]
    Dont care about Weather, Merry Christmas ... in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
    mohsin qureshi, Dec 23, 2015 IP
    Pamela Turns and jrbiz like this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's pretty grim here in Auckland today but the forecast folk have promised us some sunburn tomorrow. The pool is up to 26C so we're happy :)

sarahk, Dec 23, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, Global Warming is all hype based around the fact that the climate modellers have never had it so good. I used to sell mainframe and supercomputer based modeling/analytics software to these guys back before the Global Warming/Climate Change religion came on the scene and big money was to be had for coming up with the "right" answers. That's why we have witnessed major cheating scandals in normally respected scientific organizations recently. Too much money to be had now to worry about the actual science. Back when I knew them, they were in it for the science and would freely admit that their models are quite limited especially as to predicting the future. Too many variables that are not known or, if known, unquantifiable given the impossibly small time period that we have been scientifically collecting such data compared to the age of the earth and, therefore, the true history of climate change. No rational scientist would ever say that "the science is settled" on any topic like this where there is so little data to work from. That's why it's more like a religion these days with crazed zealots shouting down "climate deniers" because the evidence really does not back up the believers claims and they have nothing else to respond with.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

jrbiz, Dec 23, 2015 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  5. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It usually rains starting from September/October where I live but this year rain started to come in December, and not as much as usual. I do not complain, just wish that everything will go well with crop, fisheries, travel, and work the next year. Merry Christmas!

th.sigit, Dec 23, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. Anusha55

Anusha55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can see the effect of Global warming in recent time!
    The chennai had worse effect, that is the effect of global warming that they received much more rains then it was aspected.
    You can search twitter with #chennairain and know the effect of this. If possible donate to help the people who lost alot to this devarstratic natural clamatities.

Anusha55, Dec 23, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You raise a poignant issue, especially during the holidays and I agree that we should all try to help those suffering from natural calamities.

But note that no one is saying that the climate is not changing...it has gotten warmer and colder throughout the history of the Earth and will continue to do so until the Earth is obliterated by a massive natural calamity to come. Hopefully, it will be when the sun goes surpernova in a few billion years and not tomorrow as a the result of a massive meteor strike. The issue is that the zealots are blaming human activity on global warming which used to be called global cooling before the evidence was clear that we were not cooling. Now, because the evidence is not showing anything definitive, the term has been wordsmithed into "climate change" which, of course, is impossible to dispute. The climate changes every day. But since the zealots really are just control freaks who want to tell others how to live and amass power and money, the science is irrelevant to them so they continue on much like the wise Aztec priests who insisted that the only way to satisfy the climate gods was to have human sacrifices and anyone who disputed that "settled fact" was simply a "denier." The control freaks have been a plague on humankind since the beginning of history and this is just one of their latest incarnations.

jrbiz, Dec 24, 2015 IP
    th.sigit and malky66 like this.
  8. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Before winter started, it was in the news that this year's El Niño would result in a warmer than normal winter with less snow. I guess they were right.

http://www.usnews.com/news/science/...n-weather-pattern-across-us-linked-to-el-nino

Where I live, the winters can be brutally cold or quite mild. By brutally cold, I am talking 2 weeks with temperatures rarely going above 0 degrees F and nighttime temperatures -20 F. In a bad winter, we can have snow on the ground for 5 months or a little longer. It varies a lot.

For winter of 1996 - 1997, we had an unusually cold and snowy winter. After that winter, a friend of mine wanted to get into the snow plowing business so he invested $3,000 fixing up his pickup truck and buying equipment. Winter 1997 - 1998 was an El Niño winter with little snow. He only made $300 plowing snow that winter and decided to get out of it.

When data is highly variable as it is with temperatures, an "average" is almost meaningless when it comes to predicting future events. We can have a brutal, snowy winter one season and a mild one the next. There is no point trying to predict something so unpredictable. That is why the current state of "climate science" bothers me so much, especially when the "scientists" go back decades into the historical record and "adjust" temperature readings to produce their desired result.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/temperature-monitoring.php

http://climatecenter.fsu.edu/does-noaa-adjust-historical-climate-data

billzo, Dec 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The forecast here (central FL) was that we may have record high temps (86F, it's 30C my european DP friends). The last time they had it this high here was in 1924. It looks like we'll get only about 83F on Christmas day. Which completely blows the global warming theory out of the water. There were no evil SUVs back in 1924.

qwikad.com, Dec 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    OMG, it is Christmas Eve in New England and for the first time I can ever remember, we have all of our windows open in the house! Fresh air wafting throughout instead of the stuffy, heated, dry air we usually suffer with at this time of year. My thermometer read 68F/20C this afternoon and I have to believe that is an all-time record for us. And, I just ate a moon pie (for more on that see the thread in my signature) so it does not get much better than this, right now.

I could be bundling up and getting out there to snowblow a foot or more of snow out of the driveway on Christmas Eve so we could go visit out of state relatives. Been there, done that many times before. Staying home tonight in summer weather. This is like hitting the lottery. Thanks, Santa.

jrbiz, Dec 24, 2015 IP
  11. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was very warm here in Pakistan which is unlike Christmas day. Most of the time it is rainy day what i witnessed during my life.

We are destroying our earth as well as the resoruces of it OR we are digging big whole for us :(

Shahzad Jameel, Dec 28, 2015 IP
    th.sigit and jrbiz like this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, we have dropped from a high of 68F/20C on Saturday to 32F/0C degrees today. Snow and sleet are forecast for late tonight. The heat was good while it lasted; it is a pity that global warming is not happening here any more. I need to burn more coal and oil in 2016 to help it along!

jrbiz, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  13. Pamela Turns

Pamela Turns Active Member

Best Answers:
    Belated Merry Christmas and Advance Happy New Year everyone! :)

Pamela Turns, Dec 28, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and Anusha55 like this.
  14. Anusha55

Anusha55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Merry Christmas to you also (yeah belated) and to all other on Digital point.

Happy new year 2016 in advance to you all family of Digital point

Anusha55, Dec 28, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Anusha and same to you :)

Shahzad Jameel, Dec 29, 2015 IP
    Anusha55 and jrbiz like this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Got up this morning and saw a dusting of snow on the ground (yuck.) Right now, sleet (freezing rain) is falling on top of the snow to make it crusty and slippery with a coating of ice. So much for my hopes for Global Warming eliminating winter around here. I suppose that my dreams of the oceans rising and providing me with waterfront property are going to be dashed, too. :)

jrbiz, Dec 29, 2015 IP
  17. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its been one of the warmest winters in the UK as well. Daffodils are starting to flower already.

ManBearPig, Dec 31, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We had some flowers and some bugs pop up that also thought that it was summer few days ago. I even heard that a town about an hour from here (closer to Cap Cod) was spraying for mosquitoes a few days ago. Now, however, there is a little bit of snow and ice on the ground, so winter is here and likely to stay, unfortunately.

jrbiz, Dec 31, 2015 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So yesterday the pool was over 29c with no heating and the kids were in the pool till Midnight (NYE) and today it's cold and wet with limited visibility and Civil Defense warnings to evacuate camp sites etc

sarahk, Dec 31, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Tough start to 2016 for you. But, I am writing to you from the past. It is still 2015 here for a few more hours and weather is not so great, either. Cold and wet and our version is probably nastier than yours. :)

jrbiz, Dec 31, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.