1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best domains are the short ones?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by YANG, Oct 27, 2015.

I've been online for a minute now, as you can see my profile created 2007. Im just now getting into domain names testing waters and just researching. I've learned from a fellow marketer that The best domain names are the short letters 3-4 characters are the most valuable ones and the ones with 2-3 letter plus one Number is even better ones (ghs4.com example), is this true? Wouldn't mind some answers. Thanks

YANG, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  2. srex

srex Member

Best Answers:
    Domain names with fewer characters are generally better. However, even if the domain is longer it can be very valuable if it's in some profitable market.
    Generally what I found is that the domain is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Even if you think you have a great domain name if you don't find a buyer that has real use for it it's worth nothing.
    Domains with 3-4 characters are hard to get without serious investment.
    In regards to adding a number, I haven't heard that that increases the price at all, I would say just the opposite.

srex, Oct 28, 2015 IP
    YANG likes this.
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I remember 3 character (letters) domain names selling for a lot more than they do now.

dcristo, Oct 28, 2015 IP
    YANG likes this.
  4. Kim Tomato

Kim Tomato Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think long domain name more valuable domain name short in affiliate marketing

Kim Tomato, Nov 2, 2015 IP
  5. Vladan1989

Vladan1989 Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that short domains are more valuable. People love more when they can get somewhere easily, without much writing.

Vladan1989, Nov 3, 2015 IP
  6. MasterWebster

MasterWebster Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that this is so. The best domains are short and simple. I know of several cases where the owner of the site with a long domain changed it to a shorter, which consists of 2- 4 letter.

MasterWebster, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most visitors to a website will click on a link from a search engine or other source or navigate to it using their bookmarks. They will not be typing in the domain name. So length does not matter so much.

billzo, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  8. Vladan1989

Vladan1989 Member

Best Answers:
    i not agree with you.

Vladan1989, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  9. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's fine. Which domain name is better in your opinion: 4dbs.com or dronebuyerstore.com?

Which domain is shorter? Which is easier to remember? Which domain indicates to potential visitors exactly what the website is about?

Why did digitalpoint go with a 12-letter domain name if something like z8ps.com would have been better just because it is shorter? To say that a domain is better just because it is shorter is absurd.

I see people trying to sell garbage "5-letter domains" all the time that are complete worthless garbage. I would rather have a good 12-letter domain than a crap 5-letter domain.

billzo, Nov 5, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Short domains are ONLY useful for link shortening services these days.
    A good domain is one that is easy to remember, and difficult to get confused with.
    Just keep this in mind. The domain just needs to be easy to remember. It can be 15 letters long but if it is easy to remember, then well and good.

rsrikanth05, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  11. telatabi

telatabi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes long words are more catchy.

telatabi, Nov 6, 2015 IP
  12. bcsman

bcsman Member

Best Answers:
    Totally depends on your goals. If you are looking to resell a domain then short names are good, although who really uses ones like? wt4s.com.

Long names are good if they are descriptive of the product or company that is being portrayed.

bcsman, Nov 6, 2015 IP
  13. abdmjz

abdmjz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Domains are getting scarce.. specially the .com ones.. So you can get a very good price if you happen to own a 3 letter or 4 letter domain. The same can't be put to a newly introduced extensions.. Btw i would focus more on the meaning and brandability than letter + no domains etc generally domains with meaning and sense will be always in demand compared to some letter and random no domain which cannot be related to any nich or brand.

abdmjz, Nov 7, 2015 IP
  14. corporatemanager

corporatemanager Member

Best Answers:
    So that your prospects easily remember you.
    Either use short domain names or two words domain name.

corporatemanager, Nov 7, 2015 IP
  15. rsrikanth05

Best Answers:
    Two words? Or two letters?
    Shorter domains are pointless, as established above. Multi word domains must not be separated with hyphens ideally because hyphens are frowned upon.

rsrikanth05, Nov 7, 2015 IP
  16. corporatemanager

corporatemanager Member

Best Answers:
    Short domain names in terms of number of alphabets. This is great for branding, easy to remember.
    Preferably two-word domain names are good alternatives since all one-word names (known in dictionary) have been taken up.

corporatemanager, Nov 7, 2015 IP
  17. rsrikanth05

Best Answers:
    Not really, if it is easy to remember, no matter how long, it is better.
    The fundamental rule is that the domain name is primarily for the human user to understand. If it is something that can make sense, [like my domain for example], it would be better. The domain name should be easy for the human and not the computer.

rsrikanth05, Nov 7, 2015 IP
    YANG likes this.
  18. YANG

YANG Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, so I guess it just really depends how useful the domain is for the user. That means if I do have a four letter domain, I'll just have to find the right person. Thanks

YANG, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  19. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that shorter domains are easier to remember IF they mean something. IF they are useless groups of letters or numbers, then much better a longer domain with specific words but "powerful" words in it. as example "money" is a powerful word.

20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    it also depends on how you plan to use the domain

Check these 2 out, they both run against popular opinion
    I've got iTamer.com, pronounceable, 6 letter domain and a pain in the behind quite frankly because when you spell it out people get stuck on the m versus n. I've used my email for itunes and all sorts of other places so I'm kind of committed to it. My twitter handle is also based on it. People have tried to buy it but the headache of changing everything isn't worth it.
    I've also got 5nz.com which is way better even though it's a mix of a number and a letter. In this context the n would never be confused with an m as I live in NZ and the default assumption is that it would be an n.

then look further afield
    forksoverknives.com long but succinctly describes the philosophy of the website and is therefore easy to remember
    grabaseat.co.nz 9 letters, has no tie to the parent company's brand but the power of marketing means that to the target market the domain is intrinsically linked to the parent company. Huge amounts of money have been spent, but a genuine product with a significant target market means that brand awareness is attained.

sarahk, Nov 9, 2015 IP
    rsrikanth05 likes this.