1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can anyone tell me please what is directory submission and which are the free websites to submit ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by chirag555, Oct 26, 2015.

i am learning digital marketing . Can anyone guide me which are the best websites for directory submission and what is directory submission. i want free websites which are best for article submission .

chirag555, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  2. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Except for a very few top-level directories (which would cost you plenty of money to submit to), in 2015 directory submission is a waste of time and effort.

Jim4767, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  3. Movement

Movement Peon

Best Answers:
    For today you can get more benefit from social networking, I advice to pay attention to it.

Movement, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  4. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You want us to direct you to something that you don't know anything about? You're setting yourself up for failure, you need to learn before blindly building links. You can ruin whatever if anything good that has been done for your site thus far. Learn first, implement second.

kjh-08, Oct 27, 2015 IP
  5. will90

will90 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just forget it, it doesn't matter for Google anymore. Try other link building strategies, like guest post, foruns post, blogging and all.

will90, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  6. Viktor Mauzer

Viktor Mauzer Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe social media is the best way to start if you're just learning. Focus on creating great quality content (create a blog if you don't have one yet). Create posts and connect with people on social media. That's a good start :)

Viktor Mauzer, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  7. JackAA

JackAA Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agreed, advertising on social media will bring you better results than submitting to directories.

JackAA, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  8. Lorena Cano

Lorena Cano Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Directory submission is putting your web pages on directories with your same interests and linking your web page in a specific topic. There are plenty of directories it all depends what your web page is about and what you want to publish about.

Lorena Cano, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  9. TerpNetwork

TerpNetwork Member

Best Answers:
    I do not believe web directories are a waste of time. Why? When most people think of SEO they think of how SEO was done years ago when so called guru's 'manipulated' search engines executing thousands of submissions in a single moment. Today SEO is much more refined however I do not believe that Google has lost sight of 'small business' people. Your typical start up is going to have very little money to fund website promotion. "Website Promotion" means - Gettting Yourself Out There! However possible! Some start posting in forums, some hit Facebook, others submit to directories. Sure, if you pay to have your website submitted to 100 directories in a bunch of useless directories then nothing may come of it. But if you take the time to search out directories that are in good standing with Google, sites that are legitimately capable of promoting your business then you will only benefit. Google knows that youre trying to be seen, that your manually submitting in places to gain exposer. Now you might ask "Will it affect my rankings?". The answer "Yes" and I can prove it. Only last week I experimented on a Brand New website that was only 30 days old. At the 30 day mark I submitted it to WarriorWebDirectory. Yup, "one" single directory. Within 30 more days (60 days total) the site jumped to Page 8 for a niche keyword.

TerpNetwork, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  10. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't believe I'm taking the time to respond to this. These two sentences say it all. People keep thinking of how SEO was done years ago! It's time to evolve/read/research, Directories is so old school. The internet does provide up to date info folks. If you'd stop resurrecting 10 year old threads you'd learn what methods are working in the present day!
    Google is not concerned if you have one dollar or a million dollars for a startup. This doesn't influence how they look at rankings.
    That directory had nothing to do with that ranking. It would've just ranked based on content/On-page SEO for a low comp keyword.

kjh-08, Oct 28, 2015 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  11. TerpNetwork

TerpNetwork Member

Best Answers:
    Keep up with the times buddy kjh-08. Don't you ever watch Google Webmaster Central?

In the video link below you will notice how John Mueller (only a few months ago) fumbles around when answering a question about directory submissions. He starts out by saying "Don't do it if you're JUST trying to get links to your website" but then changes direction ... If you're doing it to promote your business, in real directories, than it is OK. That is straight from a member og the Google team buddy.

Go to time marker (50:26)

It is impossible for YOU (kjh-08) to say that the directory had affect on the rankings. Of course On Page SEO is part of the puzzle, it ALWAYS is! A website will not appear unless it appears to have value. How do you get value? From a credible site - that's how. The site I launched was not a small niche and the page only had 200 words on the entire site.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    TerpNetwork, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  12. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love how the video crashes right before this ridiculous question haha that's how bad it is. John referred to "Useful" directories like (Local/Yellowpages) his examples. These kind of directories are for Local Citations and REAL businesses with an address and phone number. People actually use Yellowpages(.)com to find businesses.

The directories people here refer to are the OLD types that you don't need an address/phone number and get no real traffic. Other than the other Webmasters stopping by to add a link. Even Yahoo switched from a basic directory to a Local directory.

When's the last time you used a directory to find a website? Probably never.

A site with no value can rank, it's called churn and burn with a bunch of spam. Although the rankings won't last just like your "thin" 200 word site.

You've got a lot to learn.

kjh-08, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  13. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just submit to DMOZ .. And use others, if you can afford them (they are paid)... Other low PR and low DA/PA directories won't help you a lot! :)

patco, Nov 2, 2015 IP