1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you received spam after registering a new domain name?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dcristo, Oct 20, 2015.

I received this same spam email after registering a new domain with GoDaddy.

You might be quick to assume that the domain registrar is selling your information to third-parties.

But in actual fact, spammers are obtaining your details from the public whois records.

So, if you do receive these emails, make sure you don't fall for websites trying to sell you search engine submission services.

You don't need to manually submit your website to search engines. This was actually the first scam I fell victim to online, back when I was a SEO newbie.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  2. hogeyman3

hogeyman3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I actually would get emails from "looking" to buy the domain from me. Like RIGHT after I got the domain. Super fishy.

hogeyman3, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  3. redesignunit@gmail.com

redesignunit@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
    yes spammer keep watching on whose register new domain and when you register new domain they steal your email and start spamming.

redesignunit@gmail.com, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Haha yeah I've had that happen, but usually they try and sell you "similar" domain names.

dcristo, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    1) How long was the domain left inactive -- you could be getting spam meant for it's previous owners if it's through the admin@ or similar address.

2) Is the site you put up filled with spam triggers of doing something stupid like spam-baiting your e-mail addy? Is the general language of the sites in question "spammish" saying "here I am, come *** me?" -- you know, trigger words like affiliate, marketing, advertising, "web 2.0" that if you include usually makes you a target since they figure if you're foolish enough to believe those are legitimate, you might be foolish enough to fall for a spam scam?

3) You do know to use a black-hole account for your contact info via whois, right? Typically best is a white-list allowing ICANN and NOTHING else through since they're the only ones who have any legitimate reason to use that information.

4) You did say the magic word -- GoDaddy. Here's a tip, if they can't market themselves on their own merits and instead have to run tits and ass commercials on TV, they are probably a bunch of sleazeball shits. I never thought Network Solutions would be unseated as the king of sleazeball hosts online, but GoDaddy with their outright nube predating scam artist bull has far surpassed any other host on idiocy like this. I trust them about as far as I could throw the USS IOWA, and much like a good number of other ignorance, foolishness and outright scams online I cannot fathom how or why anyone would use them by choice.

Since much like NetSol they pull stunts like domain leading, information trading, and other things that regulators would probably shut them down for if web regulation and standards groups weren't more dottering and toothless than the United Nations.... to go hand in hand with their attempts at user lock-in and contracting methods that even ISP's have to be in rock-star awe of.

deathshadow, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  6. hogeyman3

hogeyman3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've had the same issue occur 2 years ago when I used GoDaddy...I regret it so much. Go with another hosting service or even smaller company like Hostgator or Dreamhost.

deathshadow likes this.
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    It's actually why I don't register my names with my host... I use namecheap, which has been nice when pricing or other circumstances have necessitated a move of hosting; most of my moves having been utterly transparent client-side.

Also part of why I don't like managed hosting -- my preference being "bring it up to where I can SSH into it, and let me do EVERYTHING else" -- no stupid re-re "panels", no other hands in there messing with things; but I can freely admit I'm a control freak... and as much as it can sometimes suck, at least when it fails I know there's nobody to blame but myself.

8. hogeyman3

hogeyman3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I like your thinking *high fives* :D

9. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I've never had an issue with GoDaddy, and this has nothing to do with them. I couldn't care less that they aggressively cross-promote their products. Do you dislike McDonalds because they ask if you want fries with your order?

I will usually receive spam after registering a new domain name, but that's not always the case. If they're trying to sell SEO services, they're just sending it to everyone and anyone, not just new registrations.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    dcristo, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Then you've been REALLY lucky - I've seen so many people utterly and completely shtupped by them, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose them apart from ignorance.

Mind you, ignorance is NOT an insult, there's nothing wrong with NOT knowing; but they turn around and bite you sometime in the future, you can't say you weren't warned.

Though a lot of stuff like this just comes from different people with different needs. GoDaddy may meet your needs while falling so short on others, what you find a mild annoyance others may find to be a deal breaker.

No, but I would get pissed if I payed by credit card and suddenly five hundred other companies had my full contact information because of it. LITTLE bit of difference there.

Godaddy -- like a LOT of marketers -- actively sells their clients list. So much for security. The source of the spam uptake might not even be from your actual whois listing, but from elsewhere! Like the site, like from private behind closed doors sales of client information, etc, etc...

You'd be surprised.

There are spambots that exist JUST to iterate through reverse DNS one address at a time, use that to pull up whois information checking for when a change occurs. It's why many better name service providers offer a "whois guard" where they act as a middle-man filtering out that type of spam; listing their info instead of yours on the whois record just so things like this don't happen.

They also go after sites with long term stability the same way -- basically hitting both ends of the spectrum. In the case of sites that are long in the tooth with high traffic they are hoping their spam will fail to be trapped and worm it's way through in the crowd.

Usually it's an extra two to five dollars a year, in the case of really high traffic sites it's often worth spending the extra for; just like how it's better to have a secure contact form than blindly put e-mail addresses on a site. Once you've established it's a real user in the inbox, THEN you give them your e-mail by replying.

Side note, I often laugh at companies that balk at paying an extra five bucks for things like this; it's a pretty good sign they're fly by night and not legitimate. Like the companies who cheap out at the start, who cares how much it costs in the long run; makes them about as silly as the people who rent a 52" TV or things like sofa's and tables from Rent A Center, then wonder why they're always broke. Oh noes, you might have had to wait three months for a TV and a sofa :(

11. Vision2Code

Vision2Code Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This happens no matter who you go through, unless you purchase private registration. Mark the emails as spam and move on. They usually flood my junk folder and I never actually see them in my inbox.

Vision2Code, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  12. Domain Lead Finder

Domain Lead Finder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It has nothing to do with Godaddy. They do not sell their lists this is just not true. Yes they do cross promote and upsell but spamming you for SEO or similar domains is simply not worth their time.

Register a new domain anywhere and you will probably get a call or email asking you if you want a website or whatnot.

Domain Lead Finder, Oct 22, 2015 IP
    billzo likes this.
  13. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    d
    o yeah, all my new blogs I set up and after I start creating some content and getting some traffic the spam always comes in hard. Thats why its imporant to use the set up your plugin to filter this stuff out. It can be bad for rankings as well

EPol83, Oct 22, 2015 IP
  14. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I was referring to email spam not comment spam.

dcristo, Oct 22, 2015 IP