1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kevydesigns, Oct 16, 2015.

Hi all,

I own an ecommerce shop on the etsy platform and plan to have one on my own website too using shopify.

I heard that SEO is not good if I have duplicate contents for my products on both sites, is that correct?

The thing is, I have labeled my product descriptions like this:

> SKU#: xxx
    > Quantity: xxx
    > Color: xxx
    > Dimensions: xx (w) x xx (h)
    > Style: xxx

Question is, if I copy the exact data to my shopify shop, would that be okay in terms of SEO? because these info are really relevant to the product itself and it will be hard to change it, however I could rearrange them slightly.

Same thing applies to affiliates, it would be hard to have unique content of the same products. the dimensions, color, quantity, sku and style are all the same.

Please help.
    Thank you.

kevydesigns, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  2. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    you need to change some little thing in your content so its look unique. copy pasted content not allow in google.

seoaceindia, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  3. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just go for unique descriptions there isnt any problem with data that cannot be changed like SKU number and color

mentat47, Oct 16, 2015 IP
  4. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This would not be a duplicate content issue because it's on 2 different sites.
    It is possible to "re-write" product descriptions though.

kjh-08, Oct 18, 2015 IP
  5. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    WRONG WRONG WRONG!

It's not something you should particularly concern yourself with, NOT because they are on different sites, but rather Google is smart enough to figure out that the content can be the same without jeopardizing user experience.

What I would recommend, is writing a unique paragraph detailing the item for each site.

Maybe for Etsy you could say, "This product is perfect for Etsy users like yourself because blah blah blah."

This would make it unique to the Etsy site.

You can write a separate paragraph - leaving out the Etsy stuff and just changing around a few words for you main website.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Matthew Sayle, Oct 18, 2015 IP
  6. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2 different sites with the same content doesn't matter and will not cause a penalty. It's everywhere online.
    How do you think Press Releases work? That same "release/content" gets posted on hundreds/thousands of News sites online. The News sites don't get penalized.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/myths-about-duplicate-content/

kjh-08, Oct 18, 2015 IP
  7. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Stop offering advice about subjects you know nothing about.

Here is the OFFICIAL answer on duplicate content, straight from the horses mouth: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

"Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. If your site suffers from duplicate content issues, and you don't follow the advice listed above, we do a good job of choosing a version of the content to show in our search results.

However, if our review indicated that you engaged in deceptive practices and your site has been removed from our search results, review your site carefully. If your site has been removed from our search results, review our Webmaster Guidelines for more information. Once you've made your changes and are confident that your site no longer violates our guidelines, submit your site for reconsideration."

SO, are you telling me that submitting a press release to thousands of news sites isn't to manipulate the search engines into ranking your site higher?

8. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're really starting to make yourself look ignorant now. Re-read the article of the link you posted.
    That ENTIRE article is explaining duplicate content on the SAME site, not different sites.

As far as Press Releases go that's how "Syndication" works. You obviously don't know what PR's are used for. Google actually talks about syndication in that article and no where do they refer to it as duplicate content. Content distributed on several sites is called Syndication.

Read the first 5 words/letter in your quote "Duplicate content on """"a"""" site " meaning the same site.

Also I really wouldn't call this "content" or be concerned with a few numbers/color:
    > SKU#: xxx
    > Quantity: xxx
    > Color: xxx
    > Dimensions: xx (w) x xx (h)
    > Style: xxx

I know more than you think and far more than you. So know what you're talking about before looking like a fool!

kjh-08, Oct 18, 2015 IP
    Kamaldeep Singh SEO and 000karim like this.
  9. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    The very first paragraph has this line in it:

Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. Mostly, this is not deceptive in origin. Examples of non-malicious duplicate content could include...

I have made the keyword larger so that you can see it, I think you may have missed it before.

Ah, another think you may have missed. Please see:

10. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WOW you really can't comprehend that article can you?
    "across domains" within the SAME site. Keep reading!

kjh-08, Oct 18, 2015 IP
  11. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I think like all things Google, this is open for interpretation.

I am just going to agree to disagree because this subject doesn't interest me enough to keep going back and forth with you.

If you want to post the exact same press release on 1,000 different sites - be my guest.

12. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not an interpretation, that OFFICIAL article explains it very well. You just realize you were wrong as you should.

News sites have great Authority and Trust metrics so yeah I'll keep getting links/rankings from them. AKA "citations". I'm sorry you don't feel that getting as many links as possible from sites like Huffington Post/WSJ/CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC/USA Today/Washington Post/New York Times/etc are worth your time or wouldn't benefit your site/authority in any way.

It's all about rankings/earnings, not how many sites may distribute a single article of yours.

kjh-08, Oct 18, 2015 IP
  13. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I would love to see an article of yours that one of those sites has posted.

I am not talking about authority sites, I am talking about jacksnewsblog.com or another one of those link farm "news sites" that press releases usually get published on.

14. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't disclose my personal sites to the public for obvious reasons. Why do you have to get so technical about which News site picked up a story? Most of the time no they are not "Front Page" stories rather on a news release syndication page.
    They're not "farm" sites, more like small city/town News Stations. There's more to America than a few big News outlets and big cities. You should try a Press Release.
    Stop being so disgruntled, you learned something new which is the point of this forum.

kjh-08, Oct 19, 2015 IP
  15. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    You know what, you're right.

I will try a press release and will write an in-depth review of the experience.

Is there anyone you recommend?

Matthew Sayle, Oct 19, 2015 IP
  16. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can't really recommend anyone but there's countless places cheaper than the Prweb option. I've just ordered one from Press Synergy for the first time and waiting for it to be created. So can't comment how well their service is or isn't yet.

kjh-08, Oct 19, 2015 IP
  17. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    So you speak highly of Press Releases but don't have a company that you would recommend?

18. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did that on purpose because I know where you're going with this. I won't be a part of your test so nothing can be blamed on me.
    I'm done discussing this with you as you don't have a good grasp on SEO/IM as a whole.

kjh-08, Oct 19, 2015 IP
  19. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I recently broke my personal record and ranked a keyword with 2,400 searches per month in 8 days.

It's now the #3 spot after only a month.

I did it all without press releases.

So, I do know a thing or two.

20. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said before ^^^^^.
    You got off topic with this whole Press Release stuff because you were dead wrong about the original topic "duplicate content". Trying to beat a dead horse.

No one said Press Releases are the only/best/blah/blah in SEO/IM. So why are you trying to spend sooo much time on it? Is it because you want to start an argument? Look smart? You've proved other wise.

If you're relying on only ONE method in this game then you have a lot to learn. Congrats on ranking a low competition keyword to get .50 clicks from AdSense.

kjh-08, Oct 19, 2015 IP