1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So I went to see the Martian yesterday...

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & TV' started by qwikad.com, Oct 7, 2015.

Good that I paid just $8 since it was a discount admission on Tuesday.

I went because I like sci fi and because someone really insisted that I should watch it. Is Hollywood totally bent on dumbing everything down? The entire movie from a to z was not believable. If I was 12-15 I'd probably like it though. Maybe that's the age-group they are targeting. But then again, why all the strong language? Anyway, wait till it comes out on a DVD.

qwikad.com, Oct 7, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, my wife and kids really want to see it and we were talking about going on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.

jrbiz, Oct 7, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My 16yo really liked it.

sarahk, Oct 7, 2015 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    And I think that's the age group they are targeting.

The temperature on Mars drops to -100F (-70C) at night, but then the day temperature can only be at about 70F (20C). Right there it would make his trip (the main guy's trip from the station to the ship) simply impossible, because it would take hours of thawing for the equipment to start working again each day. Plus, he'd just freeze to death. But the most unbelievable part was how the crew was able to pick him up in the middle of the open space. It was a touching moment, but I was about to burst laughing out loud. The bottom line is it's a lighthearted sci fi flick and if one doesn't think much of the obvious absence of sound science in it - it's a good movie to enjoy as a family.

qwikad.com, Oct 7, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting. That adds a different slant to it, from my perspective. I generally do not have a problem ignoring the science issues for good action or a reasonable storyline in a scifi flick. We may yet go! My teenage son will like it, for sure.

jrbiz, Oct 7, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  6. SanaKhan900

SanaKhan900 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it's a good movie to enjoy as a family.

SanaKhan900, Oct 8, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, I took my wife, college-age daughter and my 13-year-old son and his best friend. Note that it was my wife who wanted to see the movie most, I think because of Matt Damon who we both liked in the Bourne movies. Anyway, they all liked it and I did too, though it would have been better for me if there were a few Martian monsters or something thrown in. It really was like Robinson Crusoe on Mars where the story is pretty mundane while the setting is the only thing "sci-fi" about it. Anyway, I was forewarned by @qwikad.com so my expectations were properly set. :)

jrbiz, Oct 11, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ridley Scott is on of my favorite directors in movie industry. I didn't watched The Martian, but according to his last movies like: Alien Series, Prometheus etc. I hope that hi will surprise me again. :)

mentat47, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Speaking of The Martian, did you hear the news about finding evidence of water on Mars recently? Apparently it was a publicity stunt for this movie, which seems credible, considering it was announced in the first/second week of the film's release.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2015 IP
    mentat47 and qwikad.com like this.
  10. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Prometheus was a horrible movie. Saw it, was totally disappointed. A lot of sci-fi lovers were too.

qwikad.com, Oct 20, 2015 IP
  11. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why horrible? How that movie can disappointed you?

Okay, let's talk about this... Ask or tell me what is illogical in that movie. I am ready to give you my answers after I've been analyzing this movie for whole year.

P.S. I was feel like you, when I saw the movie for the first time. :)

mentat47, Oct 22, 2015 IP
  12. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Oct 22, 2015 IP
  13. mentat47

mentat47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Okay, let's not read things like you send me and how about to watch documentaries movies or read some books, hm? Tell me, did you ever question yourself... who we are? where do we come from? where are going?

The point in Prometheus is to explain that thing. Most of people who watch the movie, they never notice the background like... the sacrifice in the first scene, the stone tablets who are true facts and the final scene where they speak to the Engineer. :)

P.S. I have the original delete scene from the conversation with the Engineer and if you like, I can send you...

mentat47, Oct 23, 2015 IP
  14. siteslikecraigslist

siteslikecraigslist Member

Best Answers:
    Riddley Scott proves again why he is the master of science fiction.

I love sci fi.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    siteslikecraigslist, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  15. Priki

Priki Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still didn't went to Martian and according to you, maybe I have to watch some more honest trailers before I go. I respect Ridley Scott and his movies also. He is one of my favorite directors when you want to watch some esoteric genres. My favorite are Alien (all parts) and Prometheus also!

Do you know that Scoot in his sci-fi movies use a real NASA technology. In Prometheus, he use the most modern technology to build the space-ship. That movie in my opinion is one of the best science fiction movie in Hollywood history.

Priki, Oct 30, 2015 IP
  16. EHOTP

EHOTP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great movie with ineresting plot and actors play. I've enjoy it.
    [​IMG]

EHOTP, Nov 7, 2015 IP