1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. That is a rule that my wife would adhere to, as well. But would you eat parts of the head? E.g., I remember my grandfather eating pig ears and snouts when I was a kid. I never had them but I have had beef tongue served in a Mexican restaurant in San Diego, once. If you have ever eaten monkfish which is often described as "poor man's lobster" and is excellent, you are eating the fleshy cheeks of the fish (or so I am told.)

jrbiz, Sep 24, 2015 IP
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In Bulgaria all parts of the animal can be eaten, one way or another and some of them, as disgusting as they may sound are actually quite good.

[​IMG]

This for example is a tripe soup that has a purpose in life - its one of the best cures for hangover. Its prepared and eaten with a lot of spicy pepper, garlic, vinegar even...everything that can make you sweat and steamy :D

The same goes for snouts, ears, tongue, brains etc. I am personally not a fan of most of those myself but there are a LOT of people eating them and some of the recipees can really make you forget what you are eating.

My mother is the same with the "head eating" rule but our sea has these small fish (I think they may be called sprats or something) that you just cannot pass on. Summer time, sunset, beer and those little fish, crispy like chips with some lemon juice on top...magical I tell you!!!

[​IMG]

Rado_ch, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Carp is indeed juicy buuuuut...can't really say its light...its actually pretty fat so don't let your wife know :) But I do like fish with more fat as the others always seem to get a bit too dry easily (hence why I prefer red than white meat anyways).

And I still can't wrap my mind around the ballot results. There wasn't really any slavery, most of the state seem to be liberal, you had the choice of shortening an obviously too archaic name and...still it was voted down with a margin? Wow...just wow :)

Rado_ch, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like tripe. Usually, I have had it as part of a tomato-based stew. The stew is quite tasty, and the tripe complements the dish by adding a unique texture.

But the "sprats" look and sound great! The only small fish that I have eaten are what we call sardines and are packed in oil or water in tins. Deep fried little fish are a fantastic idea. Definitely part

I tend to like the fattier fish, too.

Rhode Islanders, like most New Englanders, like their traditions, especially from colonial times. Some of this is because it is the first and, therefore, oldest region of the U.S. While not a long timeline by European or Asian standards, New England's history goes back further than any other section of the country so great pride is taken in that. Beyond that, New Englanders like to be a little quirky and having an unusual state name plays into that desire, as well.

Finally, RI politics are very parochial and large voting blocs can be easily swayed by unions, associations, and other such groups. It is a small, and some would say, corrupt state, politically, so all election and referendum results are subject to a wide range of influences. But I don't think that was the case here as it served no purpose for any special interest to try to influence results. Nothing for them to gain from a win or a loss, as far as I can see.

jrbiz, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  5. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have never eaten brains, tongue, intestines, cheeks, toes or rocky mountain oysters.

I just can't do it.

I love Caesar salad, even though it's chock full of anchovies, but the eyeballs aren't staring up at me while I eat it.

Also, I was watching a show the other day and found that one of the most popular street foods in Cambodia is deep fried tarantula.

I was going to post a picture, but I just couldn't bring myself to type that into Google :D

Matthew Sayle, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yuck. Deep fried tarantula is one of those very rare things that I might pass on myself. I pride myself on being willing to try any food, but that is too much for me.

jrbiz, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    Matthew Sayle likes this.
  7. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I was actually talking to my mom the other day about 'weird' foods.

She is a hippie that will basically try or do anything.

She was telling me she can't wait to try a brain sandwich sometime in the near future - supposedly there is a local restaurant here that sells them.

She kept trying to push me to come with her - I said NO THANK YOU!

jrbiz likes this.
  8. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Its all about perception I think. Many of the foods we find "weird" are something common and tasty for others. And its not like people all over the world have such a different sense of taste - its just cultivating and working with whatever your geographical region serves you ;)
    I was veeeeery skeptical about eating baby octopusi (octopi?) some years ago but a father of a friend literally made me do it and they were DELICIOUS. Quite similar to chicken and yet unique in its own way.

One man's junk is another man's treasure ;)

Rado_ch, Sep 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and Matthew Sayle like this.
  9. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more.

I mean, think about what steak really is...

Bloody cow muscle.

Hey Frank, let's go grab a couple of bloody cow muscles - I am starving!

Probably doesn't make you as hungry as just calling it 'steak'.

jrbiz and Rado_ch like this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would try that sandwich. I have heard that brain is a very delicate and tasty "meat". I suppose it depends on what animal it comes from and Mad Cow disease might be an issue...

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Someone in my family used to make pickled octopus and served it cold as an ingredient in a salad. It had pickled eel, too. It was great!

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Matthew Sayle like this.
  12. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    YUCK!

I will have her grab you a doggy-bag and bring it to you next time I come to Jamestown :D

Matthew Sayle, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I will absolutely drive down there to pick it up. I will bring an Awful Awful in return. :)

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Matthew Sayle like this.
  14. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    As long as it's not brain flavored!

jrbiz likes this.
  15. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    But I actually wouldn't mind having a beer with you next time I am in the area - probably won't be until next June or July but I will reach out to you when I know exactly :D

jrbiz likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to prefer chocolate. The wife prefers vanilla. All good!

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely sounds like a plan. It could include a stop at a Newport Creamery, too. :)

Now, we need to figure out how to entice people from Bulgaria, the Phillippines, and scores of other places. Of course, this could just be the dry run in anticipation of launching the DP Foodie World Tour later in 2016. I might have to break out the Turkey Joints or something. ;)

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
  18. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I am down for a world tour, there are so many places/foods I want to experience.

We all meet at one place and bring our favorite dish from our area.

Then we share our food, stories and laughs with each other.

Sounds epic!

jrbiz likes this.
  19. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    That wouldn't really make it a Foodie Tour, just a Foodie Gathering :D
    Half of the experience is the surroundings ya know ;) Better gather the whole crew, rent a van for the Summer and travel all over the world, eating whatever delicacy we can get our hands upon.

Rado_ch, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Better get a van with water skis :D

Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.