1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will adding a URL link in YouTube Video descripiton give backlink?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by karnatisuman, Sep 16, 2015.

Hi
    Please any one help me,

If i add a URL (link) in YouTube video description of my website. Will it gives a back-link to my website. I mean, will YouTube allow do-follow links.

karnatisuman, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  2. George Peirson

George Peirson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can put URLs in your description, just make sure to include the full URL with the http part. Full URLs in the description will be clickable as well. Take a look at some of the descriptions for my videos in my channel to see how it works. Also you can put clickable URLs in the video itself using Annotations in YouTube. My YouTube ebook explains how. Even more important than backlinks, YouTube videos show up well in Google searches. About half of my Google visibility is from my YouTube videos showing up on the first page of Google searches. YouTube is a great way to get traffic, just follow the rules or they will kick you off (no spam, no affiliate links, etc.) Put up honest videos and you will get honest traffic.

George Peirson, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    These questions always do my head in. Why can't you check a link in the description of a YouTube video to see whether it's a nofollow link?

dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  4. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    The Quick Answer. All links coming out of YouTube are automatically no-follow. There is no way to change that. But since Google announced this summer that they will be removing backlinks as a ranking factor and since YouTube videos show up so well in Google standings it makes all the sense in the world to use YouTube to drive traffic. One YouTube celebrity just past 10 BILLION views on his videos (pewdiepie). Do you think he cares about backlinks? No, YouTube takes care of all the traffic he needs. Lets look at it this way, why do we want backlinks? to get our web site showing up higher in Google rankings. The higher the ranking the more views, the more traffic. But it is much easier to get lots of views on YouTube. So if ultimately what you care about is getting views to your blog or web site then put together a good YouTube channel that will drive traffic.

5. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Say what? Have you got a link?

dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  6. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  7. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    Hi, trying to find the link right now. It was in an article this summer about Google discussing its upcoming algorithm updates (Panda update 29 is rolling out right now). On the video in dcristo's reply, that was from over a year ago, out of date.

8. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's from a year ago, but based on what Matt Cutt's said in the video, algorithms they tested that discounted backlinks entirely showed much worse results. I doubt much has changed in a year.

dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  9. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Besides, link building will always be important. A link on a relevant site will give you targeted traffic. Which is the end goal with SEO.

If I was to guess, these "rumors" have come from marketers and not directly from Google.

dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  10. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    Sorry, Matt Cutts no longer works at Google. As of this past May he was still officially on "Unpaid Leave" and he no longer runs the search team. The latest announcement was that the "unpaid leave" was extended through the end of 2015. Looks like they are letting the clock run out on his contract. No one is saying what happened, the first anyone heard about it was on Matt Cutts' blog where he simply stated that he was going on paid leave and would no longer run the search team (July 3, 2014). In that first announcement he said he would be on leave for about 3 months.

The quote I am talking about was from a newsletter article about a discussion at a Google webmaster event this summer. As I recall it was back in mid-June of this year. It was quoted in one of the many newsletters that I get, I am trying to find which newsletter it was in, I guess I should have saved that one. When I find it I will post the link.

You are right of course, any good link will drive traffic to your web site and as such is a great thing. Like all of the links I use on YouTube to drive traffic to my web sites. The real question above is about getting do-follow backlinks that will help in Google search results. And of course the answer is still the same, you can't get do-follow links on YouTube, they are all automatically no-follow.

11. WebmasterWorkforce

WebmasterWorkforce Active Member

Best Answers:
    When adding a link in the description of a YouTube video you get a no-follow link, which does not pass any link juice along to your site. Even though it has minimal SEO value it still has value. If you have a video that gets a bunch of views you will see traffic coming from that link.

You can also put links in the comments underneath your videos (and other people's videos). Which can give you an instant burst of highly targeted traffic.

WebmasterWorkforce, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  12. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you know that links are one of the major factors in their ranking algorithm :)
    Therefore, your statement about Google announcement is definitely not true :eek:
    A simple scenario, How every websites perform in the web without links? :D

KylieSweet, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  13. George Peirson

Best Answers:
  14. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I stumbled on that yesterday and you've misinterpreted what John Mueller said.

Surely you know by now the way Google communicates with webmasters?

He isn't saying links will no longer be a ranking factor. Far from it. In fact, he specifically says "We do use links as part of our algorithms" among other factors.

When he says "In general, I’d try to avoid that", that referring to link building, he's basically saying don't build links just for SEO to manipulate your rankings. It's not that links aren't still an important part of the algorithm, they are just trying to discourage the emphasis on "links" because that leads to spammy link building practices, instead of the focus being on content, which makes the search results worse.

dcristo, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  15. George Peirson

Best Answers:
    The link I just posted was for something mentioned back in February, what I have referred to previously was from a talk this summer. I will find that quote yet.

16. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What you've suggested is a "game changer". Honestly, if it were actually true, I don't think you would be struggling to find the source. It would be posted on every major SEO blog.

dcristo, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  17. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. No matter it's nofollow, it could still help you a lot if you have a nice video, people will naturally visit your website! (Place it in the beginning if possible!) ;)

patco, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  18. Anubhav-soin

Anubhav-soin Member

Best Answers:
    All of the youtube links are no-follow. but then even though if its a no-follow link you can have good amount of visitor to your website if you have good video or informative video that explains something which is useful to the listner.

So, dont worry about the do-follow or no-follow links that all depends upon the quality content that you post on youtube or on your blog, it will certainly drive traffic to your intended area(youtube/blog/website/whatever.. )

Anubhav-soin, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  19. Shalini Mahajan

Shalini Mahajan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Youtube is a great source to bring visitors on website. Although, the link on description is no-follow but it will not matter a lot, if the videos are informative, interesting and knowledgeable for the user.
    So, there are more of increasing clicks & traffic on website.

Shalini Mahajan, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  20. happykahlon

happykahlon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Shalini Mahajan if the videos are informative & knowledgeable then there are more chances to get clicks.

happykahlon, Mar 30, 2016 IP