1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, I am not yet off the sweet stuff topic. :)

Not too long ago, I was exposed to my first donut birthday cake as created by Allie's Donuts in N. Kingstown, RI. I was told at the time that these cakes were unique and originally developed by the afore mentioned donut shop. Here is a typical cake:

donut-cake-with-a-smile.jpg

Basically, it is a whole bunch of donuts arranged side-by-side into a "cake" and then frosted over on top with birthday cake icing. Each partygoer simply breaks off an individual donut which makes serving a breeze. The extra frosting on the donut makes for a very sweet snack. Definitely worth a try when in RI.

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2015 IP
  2. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am such a foodie! This thread is making my mouth water. All of you are posting food that just sounds absolutely amazing.
    Thank you jrbiz for inviting me to share some of my local food from Okinawa, Japan.

Spam is a big thing in Okinawa since the battle of Okinawa in World War 2. Like in Hawaii, Spam has become a staple dish in Okinawa. A popular dish using spam is called "ninjin shiri shiri" which literally translates to "carrot shred-shred". Basically, you shred some carrots and spam, cook them together and top it off with scrambled egg. Some people use tuna if they don't like spam. I've always simply seasoned it with a little bit of fish stock powder, but I know some also throw in a little soy sauce. Super easy to make, and combined with rice makes it a really filling meal. You can also get creative with it and throw in onions and other veggies. I usually tend to keep mine pretty simple.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Kit Zakimi, Aug 26, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What an innovative and tasty looking dish! My wife loves spam (she just fries it, for the most part) and I am okay with it, but shredded with carrots and topped off with a scrambled egg sounds great! I assume that you fry the spam and carrot mixture? I really like the idea of pairing the savory spam with the sweet carrots. Will definitely try it soon.

jrbiz, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  4. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would definitely fry the shredded carrots first as they take a little longer to cook. Once you get the carrots to the texture you like, then I would throw in the shredded spam. I always use the less sodium spam as the regular ones are just too salty for me. And then once the spam and carrots have cooked well enough, cover it with egg and let it cook in for a bit and mix. I use hondashi (bonito powder) to help with the flavoring. Also, if you like the taste of sesame, mixing sesame oil in with a little bit of olive oil is really good for frying.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Kit Zakimi, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent. I have already told my wife about this. We will try it soon. Thanks for sharing and please post more!

jrbiz, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  6. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Awesome! I'd like your post, but I'm sure how.

Kit Zakimi, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You need to have 3 "likes" from three different established members to be able to "like" someone else's post. You are almost there. :)

jrbiz, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  8. kyescontent

kyescontent Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've never tried spam, but somehow that dish looks spectacularly exciting. I used to live in Okinawa - cool to meet someone there.

And I hear you on the likes! We both need a couple more before we can hit "like" on other peoples' posts.

kyescontent, Aug 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It makes my heart flutter with joy when I hear someone has been to my home. When were you there? Stationed or civilian contractor? How long?

Kit Zakimi, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  10. kyescontent

Best Answers:
    Air Force brat here; we were stationed at Kadena when I was a kid. I loved it! I can't imagine how much it has probably changed since then. That was so long ago!

kyescontent, Aug 27, 2015 IP
  11. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah. Remember the Hershey building and Tiki? All that is gone now. They tore down the old BX and made it HUGE (two stories). Commissary is same old, same old. How long ago were you there?

Kit Zakimi, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, @Kit Zakimi started a thread on pancakes that led to a discussion of other such breakfast treats and the subject of Popovers came up and it is a very tasty subject, indeed! They are the American version of English Yorkshire pudding and were originally developed in Portland, Maine. The Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park apparently is the place to eat them (I have not yet eaten one there) and they have been serving them with tea since the 1800's.

I have only known them to be served hot from the oven and with plenty of butter to boot. Have only had them in restaurants. They are light, airy, fluffy, yet still clearly a bread type food. Here is a picture of the delicacy:

Popover.jpg

I prefer them just swimming in butter, but people also add meat and other such fillings. Lobster popovers are absolutely wonderful, too.

jrbiz, Aug 28, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  13. Kit Zakimi

Kit Zakimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here is the recipe that @kyescontent shared with me in that pancake thread for the popovers. I'm definitely going to give them a try on my next cheat day.

http://seattlest.com/2007/10/30/for_becca_or_pe.php

Kit Zakimi, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  14. kyescontent

Best Answers:
    [QUOTE="jrbiz, post:
    I prefer them just swimming in butter, but people also add meat and other such fillings. Lobster popovers are absolutely wonderful, too.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, lobster. That sounds awesome.

kyescontent, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is really, really good. Lobster, Butter and Popover go very well together. They actually cook the lobster and the popover separately and then split open the popover and put in the lobster and then drizzle a lot of butter over all of it. Has to be eaten with a fork, of course. I am so hungry right now.... :)

jrbiz, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  16. kyescontent

Best Answers:
    Damnit, it's still hours until dinner time. And I haven't had lobster in years and years.

kyescontent, Aug 28, 2015 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Update, update, update!!! Over the weekend, my daughter had me try Cape Cod Sweet Mesquite BBQ Potato Chips and they are really, really good! The unique texture/crispiness of CC chips combined with this flavoring are a great combination. Here is what the bag looks like:

sweetmesquitebbqchips.jpg

Definitely worth a try if you can get a bag!

jrbiz, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Time for another Rhode Island seafood treat: "Stuffies" or Stuffed Quahogs (which are the state shellfish, by the way.) Generally, the stuffing is made from chopped quahogs (which are locally harvested clams), seasoned breading, chopped peppers and occasionally bits of chorico sausage. Great and easy way to eat shellfish.

stuffie.jpg

It turns out that we have a local grocery chain here, Dave's Market, that offers this dish already made in their deli counter. So, you can buy a bunch of them, take them home, heat them up and eat away. I squeeze a fresh lemon over them before eating, of course.

jrbiz, Sep 4, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Vitarank like this.
  19. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I should visit these thread more often. However, looking at the those mouth watering dishes makes me hungry. which is counter-productive for me. I'll share a dish when I get back :D

Vitarank, Sep 4, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, every once in a while, I peruse the entire thread from the beginning. I never find it to be boring or repetitive and am ALWAYS hungry when I finish. Wreaks havoc with my dieting.

That said, I look forward to your next post! ;)

jrbiz, Sep 4, 2015 IP