1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Simple rounded box and set font size easy

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Mkcoy, Aug 14, 2015.

Hello guys. This should be easy for someone with only basic CSS skills.

I want to create a simple rounded box in the footer of my site and specify the font size, style etc!

Here is what I'm currently using for the CSS

#homedesc {
    font: 18px arial, sans-serif;
    margin:5px 40px 0 40px;
    padding:10px;
    overflow:hidden;
    width: 875px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    border:1px solid #dddddd;
    background:#fff;
    -moz-border-radius: 10px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
    -khtml-border-radius: 10px;
    border-radius: 10px;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 8px 6px -6px #dddddd;
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 8px 6px -6px #dddddd;
    box-shadow: 0 8px 6px -6px #dddddd;
    }

And the HTML

<div id="homedesc">
    <p>My footer text..<p>
    </div>

You can see it in use here. But the font size is not working. Do I have that wrong? Is it all horribly wrong? LOL

Hope someone savvy can help.

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Mkcoy, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  2. alex_p

alex_p Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm no pro, but. I think your id is not inherited in your <p> you need to apply an i.d. to that as well.

alex_p, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @alex_p, font is inherited. The issue is due to the div#homedesc not having a font property to inherit. #homedesc and its content inherit from body's font.

@Mkcoy, you forgot to give the div a font property and value.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  4. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Trust me to forget the font property and value! :) How do you put that in correctly kk? Like font-size: 1.5em;

Mkcoy, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  5. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If I recall, you set body's font size to a too small value of 10px. Not all fonts will even render properly at that size. In fact, 9px is about the smallest that has enough pixels to render the glyph set of the common browser fonts. Were it me, I'd set body's font size at 75% (commonly equiv to 12px) and preferably larger. Then on your div, set the font size to ~1.5em.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on the content of your footer that may or may not qualify as a flow paragraph; generally footer content is fragments and incomplete thoughts, so it's NOT a grammatical paragraph... again though, content would dictate the markup NOT the other way around, so without seeing the real content you can't say if that paragraph should be there or not... looking at the site you linked to, that's not A paragraph, that's three paragraphs -- at which point why the hell would you send that as a footer in the template?

If you change your font-size, for **** SAKE REDECLARE THE BLOODY LINE-HEIGHT! You CANNOT trust that to inherit properly.

As a rule of thumb, you should avoid declaring font-sizes in pixels. That's a steaming pile of inaccessible halfwit garbage that should NEVER really have been allowed in the first place. The ONLY legitimate reason in a design to do that these days is on top of a fixed image (an accessibility train wreck that shouldn't be done either) or underneath an image replacement (something that you would not / should not being doing with an entire footer).

Generally speaking your use of a fixed pixel width, fixed pixel fonts, pixel paddings, mixing padding with a fixed width, nonsensical box-shadow values (not sure what you expect negative to do on the global width, are you trying to make a inset?) is an accessibility and usability train wreck.

That entire site has broken methodology, broken thinking, and accessibility woes galore -- my advice would be to toss the entire mess in the trash and start over. Sorry if that sounds harsh but with the fixed metric fonts, page width that's too big for my 1920x1080 laptop, bizarre and inconsistent stacking of thumbnails, lack of anything remotely resembling semantic markup or graceful degradation, endless pointless DIV, classes, and ID's for nothing, incomplete forms, attributes like TARGET and ALIGN that have zero damned business on any website written after 1997, static style in the markup, sending stylesheets to "all", blocking keywords (oh yeah that SEO plugin works GREAT... NOT), stupid malfing REDUNDANT aria roles and opengraph asshattery, that idioitc "let's wrap a tag in a half dozen IE conditional comments" crap that Paul Irish pissed all over the Internet with trying to cover up developer ineptitude, pointless redundant use of TITLE attributes, endless pointless poorly coded scripttardery...

Well it's not exactly shocking you've got 32k of markup for 2.2k of plaintext and a dozen content images -- easily two to three times what's needed for such a simple page. (cleaning up everything from the BODY tag up ALONE would shave a third off it!) Of course it's turdpress so none of that is really a shock either... use a sleazy shortcut, and, well... see the result.

deathshadow, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  7. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I knew it! My thoughts exactly! :p How could I not possibly have known these things!

Appreciate your feedback thanks for that. In fact refreshing where as other people were helping me with the issue I originally asked about, you have made me realize much more in an out of the box view kind of way even if you do have a very condescending tone and trash talk my site lol so thanks anyway. I think. :)

What do you mean by take a sleazy shortcut?

Yeah its WP. WP CMS makes it easy to run a blog, gallery, shop or many different things.

We don't all have the same knowledge and experience in HTML and website design as you deathshadow.

You should try to talk to people in a way they can understand you otherwise it looks like you're just talking for your own benefit and trying to use technical terms to make yourself sound l33t or something and people only do that to make up for something else they feel insecure about. Look at me, I should have been a social worker instead! ><

Thanks!

Mkcoy, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Sorry if that offended, but I don't rap, I don't jive, and I sure as the devil don't candy coat it when something is filled to the brim with accessibility woes that for me as a USER would mean I'd never use such a site.

I mean turdpress -- in it's entirety. It might get you up and running quick, and let you do "many different things", but by it's very nature the "for people who know nothing about making websites BY people who obviously know nothing about making websites" attitude is such that people who use it shoot their horse in the foot before the gate even opens. I've rarely if ever seen a website created with it I would visit by choice unless the content was SO good you could wipe your ass, smear it on the screen and people woulds still put up with it to get at the content.

... and most websites don't have content that good. "Easy" isn't always better. NOR is it always easier in the long run when even the simplest of changes and simplest of formatting becomes a chore. More so should you suddenly have new content that doesn't fit what it wants to do, leaving you ill equipped to fix the bloody thing.

Sorry, but if you thought that was "technical terms" how are you even making websites. When "pixels", "fixed widths", "semantics" and "improper markup" are "too technical" how the **** did you even get this far?

Oh wait, turdpress slapped the rose coloured glasses on your head, led you down the garden path to failure, and in the process gave you the delusion you could make meaningful useful websites with it.

You are declaring your fonts sizes in pixels, a "fixed metric" as opposed to EM, an "elastic metric". It will not auto-enlarge leaving users (like myself) diving for the zoom to even read your text. You are declaring a fixed width in pixels, meaning the layout cannot be responsive and is useless on anything narrower than a 2560 width display. (at least here, on my 1920 laptop I'm getting sideways scrollbars -- though admittedly I'm running tabs in portrait right and taskbar portrait left, so it's more like 1440 free). Those combined are an accessibility disaster. I cannot word it more simply than that.

Likewise the HTML used for it is not "semantic" and it relies on scripting for things that either shouldn't be scripted, or don't belong on a page in the first place. (like that pinit garbage).

Pretty much if you don't know what's wrong with this:
    <style>
    #header-wrapper {background-color: #FFFFFF; }
    </style>
    Code (markup):
    or this:

<!--[if lt IE 7 ]>      <body class="home blog ie6" > <![endif]-->
       <!--[if IE 7 ]>      <body class="home blog ie7" >          <![endif]-->
       <!--[if IE 8 ]>      <body class="home blog ie8" >          <![endif]-->
       <!--[if IE 9 ]>      <body class="home blog ie9" >          <![endif]-->
       <!--[if (gt IE 9) ]> <body class="home blog modern" >       <![endif]-->
       <!--[!(IE)]><!-->    <body class="home blog notIE modern" > <!--<![endif]-->
    Code (markup):
    or this:

<div id="page">
    <div id="header-wrapper">
     <div id="header">

<button class="pull-left categories"><em></em></button>
        <div id="search" class="pull-left">
         <form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="http://uhdwallpaper.xyz/">
        <div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
            <input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" placeholder="Search"/>
            <input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
        </div>
    </form>
       </div>
    Code (markup):
    or this:

<div id="logo"><a href="http://uhdwallpaper.xyz/" alt=""><h1 id="blog_title"  style="color:#ba">UHD Wallpaper - UHD 4K Wallpapers</h1></a><h2 id="blog_tagline"  style="color:#ba">Ultra High Def 4K Wallpapers for 4K TV Owners or Not.</h2></div>
    Code (markup):
    or even something as simple as this:

<li><a class="social-icon social-twitter image-replace" target="_blank" href="https://twitter.com/4kxyz">Twitter</a></li>
    Code (markup):
    I'm not sure how you would have the knowledge to add a footer much less change it's styling. The sleazy shortcut that is Turdpress has made it so you've never learned how to do anything properly; that the creators of turdpress are similarly hobbled certainly not helping matters. Not likely actually your fault, you've just been scammed by snake oil and propaganda blowing so much smoke up your backside you could enter yourself in a BBQ competition.

It happens. That's why it's an accessibility disaster with zero graceful degradation, and a fat bloated slow loading train wreck of how NOT to build a website. You might not want to hear that, but that's the TRUTH of it. From the 629k of scripting "for what?!?" to it now being 64k of markup thanks to the increase in images to the point that if I weren't looking at the site on purpose, I'd bounce before it even finished loading...

... since a first-load is taking an average of 30 seconds here for your main page.

There is no "simpler than that" and if that's "too technical" for you, perhaps you should be questioning being involved in making websites.

deathshadow, Aug 15, 2015 IP
    ryan_uk and malky66 like this.
  9. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cor some people like the sound of their own voice a little too much.

Like I said, not everyone has the same level of expertize or knowledge as you....

It doesn't give you the right to talk down to people like they are stupid or something.

So you don't know how to make a rounded css box then no?

That's all you had to say. LOL

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Mkcoy, Aug 16, 2015 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The point @deathshadow is trying to make, and which you should take to heart, is that there are thousands of people now ABLE to make a website (via Wordpress, or any of the hundred other offers out there) that SHOULDN'T be making a webpage, because they have no idea what they're doing.
    Excusing yourself with "not everyone knows all this stuff" is just an admittance that you shouldn't be making websites. It's that simple.
    The thing is, if you know how to do stuff, you have an idea about the correct way of doing it - that doesn't mean you can't differ from best-practice if that's the only way to get something done, but at least you should be aware that that's what you've done, and be ready to defend the reason why if challenged.
    I use Wordpress for a personal blog - simply because I can't be arsed converting it to a self-made system, keeping all the urls and content and so forth - it's not worth my time. I am however trying to finish a new theme for that site, which actually is responsive, cross-browser, and which removes a bit of the bloat WP shoves down your throat without you asking. It takes a bit of time, though, since it's not really top-priority atm.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  11. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What!? Shouldn't be making websites because I don't know lots about HTML/CSS. Get over yourself!

EVERYONE has the right to make a website regardless to how much they know about HTML or whatever or not..

Who do you think you are?

Self righteous snobs!

Oh and you never answered my original question which just goes to show you don't know how to do it either. All you know how to do is mimic someone else, go wading in with your size 9's on spouting loads of self-righteous nonsense and not answer the OP's original request.

Cor, talk about double standards.

The Internet isn't about perfect code that works flawlessly in every browser. The Internet is about ideas! And anyone and everyone can create or express their ideas and should be allowed to freely without restriction!

In one moment you are against using WordPress then the next you are for it.

Saying "that SHOULDN'T be making a webpage, because they have no idea what they're doing. Excusing yourself with "not everyone knows all this stuff" is just an admittance that you shouldn't be making websites. It's that simple."

Is the MOST ridiculous thing to say EVER and goes to show your OWN ignorance on the matter itself!!

You are either missing the point or are being a self righteous tool. For starters, who are you to make that decision about anyone? Ask yourself this. Secondly, I'm not trying to "excuse myself" for anything. I'm simply saying that if you don't know the answer to something that is being asked for that last thing you should do is go wading in with some cocky post on something that is completely unrelated and wrong to assume anyway. Especially if you don't even have any answer or solution to the question being asked.

Regardless to that, everyone has a right to make a website regardless to their level of expertise or knowledge of HTML/CSS/PHP/Whatever..

Why should I (or anyone) not be making websites if I (or they) don't know much HTML??
    Why should I (or anyone) not run a blog using a good CMS system like WordPress?
    Why should I not run a wallpaper site using WordPress if I (or they) don't know much HTML?

Surely everyone has to start somewhere anyway...

Surely if someone wants to start a blog on something, or start an image gallery or even an online web store, WordPress is a good choice to go with.

Or should I take some classes and pay thousands in tuition fees that lasts for years before I even register a domain name? Get real!!

Do you know how absurd that is to say or even truly believe!??

WAKE UP!! HERE'S A WAKE UP CALL FOR YOU....

95% of the Internets websites were made by people that knew absolutely NOTHING about HTML/CSS/PHP whatever...

Even DigitalPoint forums run on a script that was built to make it easier for them to manage all the forums/threads/accounts etc.

Or should anyone that runs a forum build their own system first???

Come on! Your post are so see through I can see the strings!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Mkcoy, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Explain what you mean when you say no one has answered your question. I answered it explicitly along with your follow-up question. You only asked about the font size, but you keep talking about rounding, which is and was not at issue.

kk5st, Aug 21, 2015 IP
    deathshadow and ryan_uk like this.
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, HTML and CSS should not necessarily be "perfect" but at least "meet standards" in order to ensure it is accessible by "anyone and everyone" and "freely without restriction".

Your location claims to be London. If this is London in the UK then there are accessibility laws that need to be adhered to:
    https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/user-centred-design/accessibility

@deathshadow might come across strong, but he provides a lot of good information. A good start would be this post:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...-and-responsive-design.2657812/#post-18592775

In case you missed @kk5st's follow-up, it is:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...and-set-font-size-easy.2761579/#post-19215792

Anyway, good luck.

ryan_uk, Aug 21, 2015 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which of course is why I pointed out that rubbish PX declaration, incomplete condensed font declaration, possible paragraph for nothing and/or the mistake of declaring font-size on paragraph and how really if you have to say font-size on the footer OR on paragraphs you're probably doing something wrong. (like sleazing together broken buggy off the shelf solutions made by people no more qualified to be writing HTML and CSS than you apparently are!)

Kind of funny the "don't know how to make rounded corners" comment when the code for such as presented should work just fine, and is in fact overkill with only Safari really still needing the -webkit prefix and all those other prefixes now being relatively safe to kick to the curb. It wasn't even the original question since that was the part @Mkcoy said was working, it was the FONTS that weren't. Of course, then being told what's REALLY wrong we get the typical "wah, wah" response one expects from those who are more interested in a pat on the back than doing a good job.

But that level of self ignorance goes hand in hand with not being able to grasp the simple idea that maybe, JUST MAYBE if you don't understand the technologies on which websites are created and run (HTML, CSS), you maybe, JUST MAYBE may be completely unqualified to build, maintain or modify one. That @Mkcoy considers such a viewpoint to be "self righteous"...

... wow you must really hate Architects, Materials Engineers, Mechanical designers, plumbers, electricians, and other people who's job requires actual training and skill.

Yes, the Internet is about ideas; said ideas are called "content", the entire reason technologies like HTML even EXIST is to deliver that content to as many people in as accessible a manner as possible. SLEAZING OUT PAGES ANY OLD WAY does NOT deliver that.

Which is why HTML has structural rules, why concepts like progressive enhancement exist, why guidelines like the WCAG exists... But sure, if you want to say "plow anyone actually trying to use my sites because I can't be bothered to learn any of that" -- well, have fun with your sites being miserable failures nobody wants to use.

If you see any traffic whatsoever it would be for the sole reason of content just being "that damned good" -- and given the content of said site (wallpapers, a high competition field) I'd not be surprised if people just bypass your site entirely using google image search; particularly since being so utterly and completely cookie-cutter just how exactly are you expecting that to compete with all the other people who sleaze out a cookie cutter wallpaper site?

deathshadow, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The point is that if you don't know something, you ask - which you do, and that is good. But you have to LEARN from the answers you get. And if the question is a bit... general, or stupid, or whatnot you might get some flak for it.
    And yes, everyone should be able to make a website, if they want. As long as those who know nothing about coding makes a website for their grandmom to see pics of their kids, or to post stupid fanfiction for a community of Star Trek fans - I have no problem with that. When you start making something that is a business, meant to be accessible from all over the world, and DON'T KNOW WHO YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE IS, then you DO IT RIGHT. It's not hard, it takes maybe 10-20 hours of study to understand the basics of HTML and CSS well enough to create a page without obnoxious errors - and then you learn more and more over time, and there you have it.

As for the original question - as far as I can see it has been answered several times, so I don't understand the problem? What is it you think _I_ don't know?

PoPSiCLe, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  16. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The site was 3 weeks old and getting 500 UV's a day from Google. It was a 4K wallpaper site not your normal HD wallpaper site. I just sold it for $500. Not bad for something I only paid £0.64p for!

Mkcoy, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  17. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    So... it was sleazed together just to be flipped to some ignorant nube? Certainly gives it context.

Way to make yourself sound legitimate. Feel sorry for whatever dumbass was fool enough to shell out money for that; but there's a reason I consider places like flippa, sedo, and the entire "buy sell trade" sections of these forums to be scam artist whorehouses filled with sleazeball ***'s who should probably go to jail -- given they have all the business legitimacy of a snake oil doctor.

NOT that you can't make great money being a sleazeball scam artist who could give a flying *** if the site is going to be successful or not, and just build them to hunt for people too stupid to realize they're being taken for a ride. Just look at the entire SEO "industry" for proof enough of that.

There's a reason such sites are called "nube predation".

18. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What! See, this is what I'm saying! You have got verbal diarrhea mate!!! I'd like to see you talk like that to my face! I have a rule I use online, I never talk to anyone in a forum in a way that I wouldn't talk to them to their face. What the piss are you talking about man!?? "dumbass", "sleazeball" all pointless words you don't need to use. You're not even making any point any more just spouting crap after crap after crap!

It was a simple WordPress site that used a WordPress wallpaper theme. There is no scamming. No sleazeballing, no being lazy, and none of your absolute ridiculousness!

You've now gone past being a douchebag. Sort yourself out man!

Mkcoy, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  19. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I talk that way to people's faces all the time -- I'm a New Englander, it's what we do. As our friends from Brooklyn would say "Ya gaht a freekin problem wid dat?". Or as our friends from Boston would say, "Yah cahnt geht theyah frum heeyah!"

If you don't see what you've done falling under the description I laid out, then you are either deluding yourself in some sort of get rich quick who cares who you screw mentality, or are just bold-faced lying about what it is you are doing.

I see inaccessible messes, I call them inaccessible messes. I see sleazy practices and preying on the ignorance of others, I call them sleazy practices and nube predation. I see lazy sloppy methodologies, I call them lazy and sloppy.

See, I have this rule I use, where if you can't state your honest opinion then there's something wrong with the people who get offended.

Come to Keene, NH. I'll say this to your face: What you have done is sleazed out a crappy inaccessible poorly developed cookie cutter train wreck of a site in utter and complete ignorance of what's needed to do the job properly, then duped someone even more ignorant than yourself into forking money over to you for a pile of **** that probably isn't even worth the labor you put into it at minimum wage.

A little surprised you got to over fourteen hundred posts without anyone telling you that before; much less that you seem so shocked by said responses. You can't tell me you haven't been told this before by somebody... if not, wow -- don't know how you avoided it for so long unless you never poked your head outside the scam artist areas of development forums before and/or have never talken to anyone who actually understands what websites are, what they are for, or how to recognize a scam from across an ocean.

That or you've been under the protection of sites run by thin skinned wussies with the "don't you dare offend anyone" status quo FTMFW and their forums filled with sycophants and ignorant halfwits. See a certain other forums with "point" in it's name -- bound and determined to shelter its users from the truth since that might cut into their book sales.

-- edit --

You know the real laugh of this is that the language I use is how REAL businessmen talk to each-other back when I was working full time... well, not entirely true, I use far less profanity and am far less creative with my insults; in a "This squid is so raw it's still raping Japanese schoolgirls", "This dish has so much Ginger it's a Weasely", "This pork is so raw it's still singing Hakuna Matata" kind of way.

Lemme guess, that's London California, not London England? I usually expect a bit thicker skin and more down to earth attitude from our friends across the pond.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  20. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And that ladies and gentleman, is what boredom is all about....

Mkcoy, Aug 22, 2015 IP