1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to become a Marketing Pro.... with ZERO experience?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by txiong14, Aug 13, 2015.

[​IMG]
    A long time ago I went to college and studied Marketing because it was my passion. What I did not realize at the time was how technology was evolving and changing the fundamentals of traditional marketing. In today's modern world a marketing professional has to be more technically skilled than ever before, from knowing how to design graphics, to building websites, to writing insightful blogs, to programming codes, to performing SEO, and so forth. Unlike most IT graduates, I do not have a background OR experience in this field. I did not start from a young age. Sure, I have a business degree and understand marketing concepts; however, compared to today's student graduates in curricula such as Computer Science with fair experience in their field, how can I compete? How can I distinguish myself to my employers?

Currently I am in the process of training myself to be a professional marketer, from learning about inbound marketing, to integrating the value of social media, to becoming certified in Google AdWords and Google Analytics, to learning how to write code, to designing graphics, and so forth. My concern is that, from an employer's perspective, any amount of knowledge may not make up for the lack of experience. Is there anything I can do to give me an edge in today's competitive labor-force, as a marketing professional?

Any insights and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

txiong14, Aug 13, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can't be a "pro" until you have a proven track record. Companies may take a punt on your based on your training and published work, or they may hire you as an assistant and give you real world experience with a real pro.

sarahk, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  3. Graphics5

Graphics5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, definitely in today's labor force, as a marketing professional you have the access to data and information to share freely.
    You can easily show what products, services or companies you help generate traffic and/or sales for.

You can even start a website/service for them(potential hire) as a sub-domain website and drive test-sales or traffic to it.This will show your actual/immediate skills.

Is that something you tried outside of portfolio.

Cheers,
    Graphics5

Graphics5, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  4. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Being a professional requires well experienced in the related field and this kind of competitive skill is earned and improve time after time.

KylieSweet, Aug 17, 2015 IP
  5. Anuradha Rao

Anuradha Rao Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting question, it's not so much about being a marketing Pro than it is about how to handle the question about the lack of an experience at the interview.

In sales, we call it the "agree" rather than "disagree" approach. You can use the same approach here.

When you are faced with a tough objection, agree, and then show them other benefits. You can say something along these lines "Yes, I agree..I understand what you mean..I know I don't have a lot of hands on experience. But if given an opportunity I can prove that I can perform like an experienced person. I had done this project in the past with these results. Here are some of my blogs and social media posts that performed well. I had helped organize this event at college and it was a huge success, I had helped drive traffic to our group online magazine.....etc."

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Anuradha Rao, Aug 18, 2015 IP
  6. Vincentas

Vincentas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure there is such a person that can be called a Marketing Pro. This is always about self-development and especially in marketing, where startegies and technologies used are constantly changing. It is impossible to become a jack of all trades, don't you agree with me?

Vincentas, Aug 31, 2015 IP