1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Receiving traffic from Russia on most my sites. Why?

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by IceCreamTruck, Jul 21, 2015.

Google Analytics is reporting most traffic from Russia on most of my Wordpress sites. I have the sites set to target users in United States in Webmaster Tools.

I'm not sure why this is happening or what can be done?

IceCreamTruck, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  2. Kathy331

Kathy331 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can add a filter in Analytics so these visits don't skew up your stats. You'll probably find they are spending zero time on your site and putting your bounce rate up (spambots).

If you want to permanently remove traffic from showing in Analytics, from a specific country, you can set up a Custom Filter to exclude it. This can be done via the 'Analytics Settings > Profile Settings > Create New Filter' screen. You need to choose the 'Custom Filter' radio button, leave the 'Exclude' setting as it is then select a 'Filter Field' of 'Visitor Country'. Finally enter the country to remove in the 'Filter Pattern' field.

You can also use a filter to stop tracking your own visits by entering your own ip address. Type "what is my ip address" into google and it'll show the address.

Kathy331, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  3. IceCreamTruck

IceCreamTruck Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks the information. Do you think these spam visits can be effecting my search engine rankings?

IceCreamTruck, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  4. Kathy331

Kathy331 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not everyone in SEO agrees on this, but if they're pushing up your bounce rate it makes sense (to me) that Google can "see" this and it would indicate your site is not worth staying on. However, there are lots of other metrics that are taken into account that are more important than bounce rate. An article I read recently listed 205 Google ranking factors!

Kathy331, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  5. randall1022

randall1022 Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have a backlinks from vk? Any social backlinks from Russia? The reason is so is because I get traffic from Australia. I have a couple of links from there. That's great advice from Kathy331.

randall1022, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  6. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with @Kathy331
    Last month, I got an unexpected increase on my site. Most of it came from Russia and different countries all over the world.
    At first, I felt happy and surprised, and also wonder why I got traffic from these countries?
    That's when I realized that these are irrelevant traffic. I did even actually post it here on DP.
    Anyway, I did what kathy suggested here. And also, on the admin section of your analytics Admin > View Settings there is a check box wherein you can exclude all hits from known bots and spiders, you can check that box to filter spambots. And that's it! :)

Patricia Ann Lee, Jul 21, 2015 IP
  7. MayurKawale

MayurKawale Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i am also agee with this...some time you will get traffic from untargeted area.....I am getting from china...dont know. I think the reason behind this is you have links from untargeted area.

As a webmaster you should know the targeted are of your site, you should act like that.

MayurKawale, Jul 22, 2015 IP
  8. Kathy331

Kathy331 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Patricia Ann Lee I didn't know about that setting to filter known spambots, thank you! :)

Kathy331, Jul 22, 2015 IP