1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Convert Wordpress to OSclass/ Open-Classifieds

Discussion in 'Programming' started by HRA, Jul 9, 2015.

Hi,

I have a classifieds site based on Wordpress. At first it was OK, but now with its growth day by day, it seems site is slow. Now I realize I made a mistake choosing Wordpress for this.

As you may know there are very popular two open source classifieds script out there namely OSClass and Open-Classifieds.
    Im thinking about converting my site into one of them (still researching about which is better)

Now my question is, is it "technically possible" to convert wordpress to either one of those?
    Because I googled and couldn't find any reference about this (whether its possible or not)

Im sure there are experts in this forum. What do you think?

Thanks

HRA, Jul 9, 2015 IP
  2. moneyroad

moneyroad Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Osclass is lighter talking about classified ads website comparing to wordpress. One thing you can do is to change your hosting plan depends from visitor lenght, you need more resources. I believe it will convert for you anyway. More traffic=more visitors=more cash inrevenue

moneyroad, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's not what he's asking (at least I don't think it is). What he's asking is to transfer user accounts and posts to whatever platform he choses.
    On that: yes, it's probably possible, but depending on how things are organised now, compared to what it will have to be parsed to, you're probably looking at a custom script which can read from the wp database and add users and posts to the new database. Shouldn't be too hard, but there might be some issues, among them how passwords are stored, required db fields, how the tables are connected etc.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  4. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    moneyroad: thanks for the reply.

popcicle: Thanks for the answer. Im sure its not going to be easy as Wordpress was heavily customized to fit my needs. But if its "possible" to do, Im comfortable with hiring someone else to do it.
    So when Im hiring someone, I should be looking for someone who has knowledge in Wordpress, PHP, MySQL, JS?

Thanks

HRA, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Mostly sql, actually - it should be possible to take what you have in the Wordpress database (customized or not) and port that to fit the database schema (again, customized or not) in the new software - while you might have to make some sort of script for reading the data from the old database, and put it in in the correct places in the new database, it shouldn't be too hard - but again, it depends a bit on how the old database is organized - is it logically formatted, using a single unique identifier to tie things together, it shouldn't be that much of a big deal. Of course you might have to modify or customize the database a bit (for the new software) so that you can fit everything users have registered, or modify it to fit. As I said, the biggest obstacle might be the stored passwords, but a PHP-programmer could create a script for generating random passwords, mailing them to the registered users, and tell them to log in and update the password (and also maybe not let them in until they actually do), if the password-hashes are significantly different. If they're not (if they're using the same algorithm, you might be able to just copy them normally and have them work the way they should).

PoPSiCLe, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would personally want to crawl around in wp a bit before you go reinventing the wheel here but popsicle is correct as usual. Its largely, if not entirely, a mysql project and not too terribly vexing to get done. From a brand perspective what you are suggesting is pretty drastic though.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  7. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for replies popsicle and Nigel Lew.

Actually before what I really meant by "speed" is not the speed of web page loading. Its the managing ads part on backend. As of now Im not getting very big amount of ads. But even for the few I get, it takes unreasonable time to moderate them. I don't think I will be able to keep up when I get more ads.
    I mostly think it has something to do with the way theme was coded. I assume it would cost me more to fix it than converting the site completely to one of those scripts which would give me lot of capabilities I don't have on the current site.

Like I said Im still using wordpress, thinking/ researching about those 2 scripts. So still haven't made a decision. But I wanted to know details and be prepared if I ever needed to convert.

Thanks

HRA, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    How many accounts (and ads) are we talking about? If it's just a few hundred, I wouldn't worry much about trying to save the current user-base. The truth is some of those accounts have probably been sitting dormant for some time, anyway. You may end up spending money and exerting a huge effort for something that, in the end, may not do what you expect it to do.

On the other hand, if your user-base is in the tens of thousands, then, yes, it makes sense trying to save the current database.

Since you said you classifieds isn't large yet, if I were you, I would collect and save all the email addresses related to all your current accounts. Then I would upload a new script, new database and make the site look like a million bucks. After that I'd email the old users explaining that the site has been upgraded to provide a better service, asking them to sign up again and post new ads.

qwikad.com, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  9. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    As of now I have approx 2600 ads and 3600 users.
    I wasn't planning to do the switch anytime sooner.
    Thanks

HRA, Jul 11, 2015 IP