1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Long Does It Take Before Godaddy Releases An Expired Domain Name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by gregdavidson, Jun 12, 2015.

gregdavidson, Jun 12, 2015 IP
  2. Jason Hensley

Jason Hensley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Usually, a domain name is not available for re-registration as soon as it expires. Most registrars allow a grace period that can be as short as one or two weeks or as long as a year for registrants to renew expired domain names. The actual grace period can be different for each individual registrar and domain name extension. That is, the grace period for a .com domain name might be different from the grace period for a .us domain name, even at the same registrar.

After the registrar's grace period, most domain names have a redemption period. This period can last from two weeks to 30 days, and, during this time, the current registrant can renew the domain name by paying a redemption fee along with the domain name's renewal fee.

If the current registrant does not renew or redeem the domain name, it might be auctioned. When a domain name is released to a public auction, you can participate and possibly capture the domain name by placing a bid on it.

If the domain name is not renewed, redeemed, or purchased through an auction, it is returned to its registry. The registry determines when the domain name is released again for registration. Once it's released, you can register the domain name through us.

Straight from godaddy.com
    https://support.godaddy.com/help/article/572/when-can-i-register-an-expired-domain-name

Jason Hensley, Jun 12, 2015 IP
  3. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    GoDaddy will take the name and first run it through an Expired Auction process. Bidding starts at $10 I believe and it sits there for around a week or so. If noone bids it then goes into the Closeouts section, it starts there at the price of $11 + New Registration Fee. It sits there for about 6-7 days while the price of $11 goes down $1 each day. After that, if noone buys via Closeouts it will then go into the drop cycle and drop in the future. I can't remember exactly how many days after it ends in Closeouts before it drops. Maybe someone else on here knows?

FPForum, Jun 14, 2015 IP
  4. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on experience:

An expired domain will not be immediately be available for anyone to be registered (which some people thought it would be). The domain owner still has a grace period wherein he/she can still renew/redeem the domain name.

Once a US domain expires you will be given up to 40 days to renew it at a normal renewal rate. After 40 days it hasn't been renewed still then it will enter the 30 day "Domain Redemption Period" in which case redeeming it costs much higher than the normal renewal rate which "may" range at $60-$100 depending on the registrar's pricing charge for redemption plus the cost of 1 year domain renewal.

If the domain hasn't been redeemed within the 30 day redemption period it will then be subject for deletion in the registry. The domain will be deleted in the registry approximately 70-75 days after expiration and it will become available for anyone to be registered. Using the WHOIS record is very important if you really want the domain to be yours. There is no guarantee you will get it so always use the whois search as domain is issued on a first come first served basis.

Some registrars offer some of their expired domains to new customers/existing customers if they notice the domain owner no longer wants it as mentioned by Jason Hensley above.

(Please note that the explanation above is for US type domain only. Other domains have/may have different grace periods.)

Benpick, Jun 20, 2015 IP
    Harvey13 likes this.
  5. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Where does he mention a US domain? I don't think you know what you're talking about ;)

FPForum, Jun 20, 2015 IP
  6. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Matthew Sayle, Jun 20, 2015 IP
  7. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @FPForum

Sorry about that. I should have asked first what type of domain is it before I wrote the lengthy explanation. :) I was thinking of asking first but forgot. :rolleyes:
    I was just assuming if it's a US domain. But as mentioned in the last part, other non-US domain have/may have different grace period. Cheers.

Benpick, Jun 21, 2015 IP
  8. kingofleon

kingofleon Member

Best Answers:
    I have bought a few expired domains and got some really neat domains, the trick is just be patient and dont tell anyone about it.

I personally would not use a dropping service, as in my mind it highlights to the world the domain is dropping and you could end up in a bidding war.

For .com domains is it mostly about 80 days from the renewal was due until you can get it, just log in each day early in the morning around that date and see if you can register it.

kingofleon, Jun 25, 2015 IP
  9. WebsitePlex

WebsitePlex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe is 60 days. After that its dropped to the open public.

WebsitePlex, Jun 27, 2015 IP
  10. rsfkii

rsfkii Peon

Best Answers:
    Takes about 60 days from expiration to drop, but I think Godaddy attempts to auction their domains off before they're fully dropped.

rsfkii, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  11. kohnt01

kohnt01 Member

Best Answers:
    60 days as well for me when I tried waiting for an expired domain. #sigh

kohnt01, Jul 1, 2015 IP