1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress for 4000-5000 users?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Haki88, May 29, 2015.

Can wordpress handle 4-5k registered users submiting their ads? I had discussion and some people say wordpress is not build for that, also wordpress is using unessesery resources. What you think?

Haki88, May 29, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree that Wordpress is not intended for that type of website. Just because Wordpress can be used somewhat as a content management system, that does not mean it should be used for every conceivable idea. Wordpress is first and foremost a blogging app which you can use to add static pages. I think you would be much better off designing your own system and depending on how many features you want, it should not be too difficult.

Does Craigslist use Wordpress? No. There is a reason why. And yes, Wordpress is bloated for what it is.

billzo, May 29, 2015 IP
  3. yakusokutebayo

yakusokutebayo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mean 4-5k users submitting their ads simultaneously, or daily, or monthly?

yakusokutebayo, Jun 2, 2015 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is not a wordpress question its a server question. Wordpress can do anything you want it to. I make it do things its not intended to do on a daily basis.

Nigel Lew, Jun 2, 2015 IP
    pupul and Rado_ch like this.
  5. laurentsabbah

laurentsabbah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress can definitely handle that. But like mentioned above, its more a server/optimization issue. Make sure it is setup properly and not an automated install on a $3/month GoDaddy shared plan, that will eventually crash. If you don't understand server administration then definitely go with a company that offers a managed service and tell them about your needs, you'll be fine.

laurentsabbah, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The bolded statements would've been soooooooooooo true....if we were back in 2007-08. Thinking that nowadays is just silly...
    So what if Craigslist does not use WordPress? Its not because its not possible to use it, its because they just chose something different.

By the same logic how come websites like TechCrunch, BBC, Sony Music and NY Times are Wordpress-based? Sure, they are not classifieds type of website but they do handle much more than 4-5k users interacting on their pages on a daily basis.

The two major problems people have with WordPress (security and heavy script) are actually both not WP issues - proper optimizations, constant updates and backing up data is detrimental and can easily get you out of trouble. If I can reverse the popular saying - "don't hate the game - hate the player". :D

Rado_ch, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for answering your own question.

How come Facebook does not use Wordpress? If Wordpress is so versatile and suited for every possible use (it is not), how come Facebook does not use it?

Every site you mention is a publishing/news/blog type of site. And where do you get that nytimes.com is a Wordpress site? Or BBC.com?

Have you actually done any Wordpress development?

billzo, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  8. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Yes, I did, and this is the exact reason I am able to recognize that those website use WordPress. If you are not sure search around, Google is your friend ;)

Still fail to see your logic tho. I just gave you example of huge sites using WordPress. Do you honestly think that a news site with 50-100k users daily will be easier to handle than a classifieds website with 4-5k users submitting ads? If so then no reason to argue with such "logic". Keep following your 2007 impressions and watch WordPress slowly gaining more and more portions of the market.

Rado_ch, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  9. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/17/scoop-a-glimpse-into-the-nytimes-cms/?_r=0

Says that NyTimes.com uses Scoop as their CMS. (It also mentions that Google is working on a CMS for news websites, which sounds interesting.)

You did not give any other example other than digital publishing sites for which Wordpress is moderately suited. Yes, caching can be used so the Wordpress engine does not run on every load. And in fact, for heavy traffic websites, that is a necessity for the very reason that Wordpress is very bloated for what it is. That does not mean that Wordpress is suitable for a classified posting website, a social networking website, or anything other than what Wordpress was created for: publishing blogs and pages.

Do you think that hacking Wordpress to do that would be easier than writing your own script to do it?

But you did so anyway.

LOL. I am working on a Wordpress site right now and am aware of its strengths and many weaknesses.

billzo, Jun 10, 2015 IP
  10. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Sure, if other examples is what you are after - the shop of Entrepreneur.com website and the WooThemes website are two examples of huge online shops that use WordPress...or that doesn't count too as they are not specifically Classifieds websites? ;)

See, this is where it shows how deviated we are from the thread topic. Of course its always best to build your site top to bottom and tweak every little thing...was that the question though (WordPress vs custom coding)? I believe it was CAN wordpress handle 4-5k users on a Classifieds website and my answer is still yes, yes it can! If OP was a developer genius I doubt he'll ask such a question anyways, right? ;)

Bravo for that and I wish you best of luck with it ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 10, 2015 IP
  11. Andy-Jones

Andy-Jones Member

Best Answers:
    It is possible on WordPress but you will have to take care of security and get a higher specs server to handle that kind of requests.

Andy-Jones, Jun 11, 2015 IP
  12. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like others have said, it's more about your sever optimization. I have multiple WordPress sites that receive 5K+ daily uniques without any hiccups, so it's definitely possible!

Goob, Mar 8, 2016 IP
  13. dcanfield

dcanfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I alway see people complaining about WordPress not handling the traffic and they are on shared hosting that is crappy. If you have good hosting that can scale, then yes WordPress can definitely handle it.

dcanfield, Mar 8, 2016 IP
  14. Peter Stavrou

Peter Stavrou Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    +1 for WordPress being able to handle it.

You may want to consider Amazon Web Services (AWS) for this one though...

Peter Stavrou, Mar 9, 2016 IP
  15. stephensmith041

stephensmith041 Banned

Best Answers:
    I learnt some technical issue to be focused in this participation.

stephensmith041, Mar 15, 2016 IP
  16. ijoome

ijoome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far i know,drupal suit your requirements.. although don't have experience with that much users.

ijoome, Mar 25, 2016 IP
  17. Ditmar

Ditmar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have 4-5k daily visits you need to use special cache plugins for Wordpress. For example WP Super Cache https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-super-cache/

Ditmar, Mar 25, 2016 IP
  18. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You don't need to do anything. Depending on how these visitors span out over a day, 5k visitors is no more than approx 400 visitors an hour, based on 12 hours of activitiy - if you take into account the whole 24 hours, that drops to approx 200 - which is nothing. If you have specific spikes, where you get 1-2k visitors more or less at once, yes, the crappiest shared hosting solutions will falter, more so if you have plenty of images, or haven't done anything to clean up the WP-install. But do you need a cache plugin? Or a CDN? No.
    I'm speaking from experience here - I am the owner of a blog (now more or less defunct) that had peaks of about 20-30k visitors - running on standard shared hosting, without any real problems - yes, things got a bit slower on the busiest days, but it wasn't detrimental to the visitors - the page load went up from less than a second to maybe 2-3-4 seconds - not superb, but not really all that horrible either - and that was mostly unimportant stuff, like external resources (counters, blogratings and such) - content was shown more or less instantly, about 95% of the time.
    So it depends on the type of blog, and where you are located vs. where your users are located, what kind of Internet-connectivity you have (both the server and the users) and so forth and so on.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 25, 2016 IP