1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Likes a Real Thing Here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irefutabilul, Jun 4, 2015.

Hi guys,

I think I've been registered for a while but started to really be active since yesterday only. I was interested to make a post in the Advertising sub-forum but then I realized I need three likes to be able to do that if I don't want to pay a fee.

The question is, is there a chance to actually get any Likes posting here? I was shocked to see members with more than 500 posts and who, amazingly, didn't have one single like yet. If that's the case, it will take ages to have full rights here.

Is this the case? Or I missed something?

Irefutabilul, Jun 4, 2015 IP
    Jameyson MacDonald likes this.
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It's possible to not get any likes with even 500 posts. It all depends. You can, of course, purchase the premium membership via https://www.digitalpoint.com/account/upgrades if it's absolutely necessary for you to post in the Buy, Sell, Trade area.

Do some thorough site / design reviews in https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/reviews.91/ or give quality answers to the questions the members may have and, I can assure you, you will get likes. Contributing something of a value on this forum doesn't go unnoticed.

qwikad.com, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  3. Irefutabilul

Irefutabilul Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tip hope you are right, I would give you another Like but I can't do that:)

4. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, getting likes is the easiest thing in the world if you make worthwhile posts, if you have a personality that shines through in your posts the likes will flood in.

malky66, Jun 4, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, likes are a real thing. They tend to work exactly as design... it's all about quality over quantity. People who make quality posts have more likes than they have posts. People who post gibberish have zero likes after 1,000 posts.

https://www.digitalpoint.com/members/?type=likes

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  6. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't focus on likes and instead have something of value to add in your posts. Avoid replying with the usual "Oh yeah I agree.." and other meaningless crap that many people are posting.

ceenote100, Jun 4, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. Irefutabilul

Irefutabilul Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tips guys.

8. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its not that hard you just need to provide value in your posts that will help the OP..

kb24, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  9. robby1995

robby1995 Member

Best Answers:
    I should also note its 3 likes from 3 different people.

robby1995, Jun 4, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I had left DP for a couple of years and when I came back to run a contest, I discovered the "3 Likes" rule. If I recall correctly, I got the required 3 Likes in 4-5 days. Go to sections where you have knowledge of the topic and post thoughtful, helpful replies to members with questions and the Likes will come.

jrbiz, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  11. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have found that posts that make people laugh generate likes as well :)

Matthew Sayle, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  12. Irefutabilul

Irefutabilul Member

Best Answers:
    Like on Facebook:)

13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. And, in my experience, when you get to the point where Likes don't matter so much because you have a lot of them, people will give you Likes a lot more quickly (sometimes just to show agreement.) The first 3 Likes are usually given out a bit more stingily because, I believe, it is felt that new members have to earn those first 3.

jrbiz, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  14. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    See what I did there?

Matthew Sayle, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  15. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I first registered here, I wanted to have my website rated but the likes rule kept me from being able to post a link in my post. I got pretty frustrated and it seemed like it took forever to get those three little likes because I'm an opinionated bastard and always seemed to be pissing folks off! lol. Stick around and try participating, be helpful and you'll get those likes!

Jameyson MacDonald, Jun 4, 2015 IP
  16. Irefutabilul

Irefutabilul Member

Best Answers:
    Talking about problem is the best way to solve the problem, looks like I'm nearly half-way through, thanks Jameyson:)

17. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    More than anything, what kills your chances of getting those 3 'likes' (each from a different member) for Established Membership is the notion that getting 'likes' is a Herculean or a very difficult task. Even I kind of hated the 'likes' system when I wasn't an Established Member. But as I got to see slowly what pointless, crappy and spammy posts some users make here, I realized that some measure is, in fact, very necessary to curb/check such posts. And the 'likes' system is quite an effective way to achieve it. The no. of 'likes' is generally a touchstone of how usefully and invaluably a poster has contributed to this community (- though there are some cases when people 'like' really dumb and meaningless posts ;)).
    Just because someone has made 500 or 1000 or more posts DOESN'T at all mean that they should have a bunch of 'likes'. Have those posts added any value or helped anyone out really? That's the question you should ask. The no. of posts a user has made is in NO way an indication of the no. of 'likes' they should have.
    Check the following profiles for the no. of 'likes' they have against the no. of posts they've made:
    https://www.digitalpoint.com/members/prion.827134/
    https://www.digitalpoint.com/members/mr-helpful.735742/
    https://www.digitalpoint.com/members/aayush-ranaut.776617/.

The post here might also help – https://forums.digitalpoint.com/posts/19101603/.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Content Maestro, Jun 5, 2015 IP
    deathshadow and jrbiz like this.
  18. KatnissEverdeen

KatnissEverdeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    You do have to work for those first few likes. Just add content, thought out responses. You will get those likes.

Also, I do give likes to posts that make me laugh. I try to make others laugh at times too ;)

KatnissEverdeen, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  19. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, users who are focused on likes plan nothing good to do with them, i.e. abuse them. It's a general idea.

So, whenever I see a topic with someone "desperate" or passively-agressively request likes, I tend to keep an eye on them.

SocialSignals, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  20. Irefutabilul

Irefutabilul Member

Best Answers:
    I am not focused on Likes. I wanted to make a post in the Advertising forum, that's it.

Irefutabilul, Jun 5, 2015 IP