1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

proper abbreviation for headquarters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by damnidunno, Sep 14, 2006.

What is the proper abbreviation for Headquarters? alot of people use HQ but alot of others use HQS. HQS makes alot more sense to me. Such as "American HQs"

What do you think?

damnidunno, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    HQs is proper abbreviation

The Webmaster, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    HQ is understood Internationally

britishguy, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  4. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've only ever seen HQ

BRUm, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  5. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I had to write 'headquarters' I'd use the full word. I'd only abbreviate 'headquarter'. Don't mind me, though. I'm pedantic.

Keith Taylor, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  6. MySpace

MySpace Peon

Best Answers:
    HQ - singular
    HQs - plural

MySpace, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. Stanag6001

Stanag6001 Member

Best Answers:
    The general rule for abbreviations is that we should use only capital letters. Therefore headquarters should be written as HQ, unless you mean more headquarters; then write "HQs". Small "s" at the end of an abbreviation always denotes a plural form of a thing you have in mind. If you do not follow this rule you may casue a lot of confusion. For example, COS stands for Chief of Staff, unlike COs which means "Commanding Officers" in opposition to CO that is one Commanding Officer. If you want to make COS plural you add one "s" and you get COSs. A simple, consequently used rule makes the military life much easier. I explained the rules in my article about military abbreviations some time ago. Worth reading to survive in plethora of military terms.

Stanag6001, May 18, 2015 IP
  8. WaveInc

WaveInc Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Actually it all depends on what system or Manual Style (as it's knwon) your city/country abides to. While captial lettering typically doesn't require to diffrentiate between singular and plural. Who says, USsA? :) Abbreviations as a whole do. There are instaces where it is correct to use the plural form, even if it be an irregular noun.

WaveInc, May 22, 2015 IP
  9. Stanag6001

Stanag6001 Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe I wasn't precise in my post. I didn't mean that every abbreviated noun in plural should be followed by small "s". Of course we use small "s" at the end to denote a plural form of the abbreviated expression. Some example to illustrate: COS (Chief of Staff) vs. COSs (Chiefs of Staff), not CsOS. . As you can see nobody is making "a Chief" plural by adding "s" after "C". Likewise, the proper acronym for United States of America is therefore USA, not USsA. No doubt about that. We're degressing from the original question. Headquarters should be shortened to HQ - the only possible option. Otherwise (in case of HQs or HQS), we won't be able to denote the plural form of this noun, represented by this abbreviation. It is the system used NATO-wide and it works, believe me.

Stanag6001, May 22, 2015 IP
  10. skysd

skysd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HQ is often used.
    If you really want to write "Headquarters"
    Write in full.

This is my opinion.

skysd, Sep 14, 2016 IP
  11. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers: