1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds wonderful! I love a dish that can have a variety of meats (or other ingredients.) Always makes for some very interesting combinations.

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and Rado_ch like this.
  2. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Apart from meat I am a big sucker for condiments. In my mind condiments make for half the meal, whatever it is. At home I have a whole cupboard full of various ingredients for all types of dishes. Thinking of it, there are very few meats to which I don't add savory and soy sauce. Absolutely love those ;)

Rado_ch, Apr 29, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  3. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always wonder what rabbit meat tastes like. I've had some pet rabbits before - but we never eat them LOL. Maybe because they are overflowing with cuteness :D

Some more delicacies from Quezon:
    Hardinera: Our own version of meat loaf. This can't be considered an everyday dish because the preparation is like a tedious task :D basically this is made up of cubed pork loins, hard boiled eggs, hot dogs, potatoes, carrots and peppers.

[​IMG]

Yema cake: our own version of custard cake. :D
    [​IMG]

Vitarank, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Rabbit and rice is a traditional Portuguese dish (here in New England, anyway) that I really, really like. And I prefer wild rabbit to domestic.

The Hardinera looks and sounds excellent! And I doubt that I have seen a more moist cake than the Yema cake. I strongly prefer moist cake, of course. This thread continues to make me hungry! Thanks for the additional delicacies and keep them coming!

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, now it is time for a New England treat that is by no means a delicacy or even something that you can get in a restaurant. But I could make you one in my kitchen. It is the Fluffernutter as pictured below. It is bread, peanut butter, and Marshmallow Fluff which was invented in Massachusetts and is easily found on the grocery shelves around here. I have heard that it is very hard to find outside of New England in the U.S. and probably does not exist in any other country. However, it is simply the best peanut butter sandwich you can have. Some people add a third ingredient, such as strawberry jam or apple jelly or even sliced bananas, but I am a purist: just peanut butter and fluff for me. Gooey, sticky, sweet eating!

fluffernutter.jpg

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz, I think it would be much better if people could post the recipes for foods they're posting here. I assume most of them would be available online. Just take the sandwich you described above. I would just love to prepare it myself and eat it.

Content Maestro, Apr 29, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Recipes are welcome!

For the Fluffernutter sandwich above, the recipe is quite simple:

Take two slices of bread. Any type; it's all good.

Coat one side of one slice with a thick layer of peanut butter. (I prefer smooth, not chunky)

Coat one side of the other slice with an even thicker layer of Marshmallow Fluff (I like more Fluff than peanut butter! 2:1 or so)

Lightly press the two sticky sides of the slices together.

Cutting into sections or pieces is optional

Serves 1

Repeat as necessary

:)

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a link to a recipe for the Legal Seafoods Clam Chowder I posted earlier in this thread. Note that the term "clam" in "clam chowder" is pretty generic, so most any clam-like shellfish can be substituted. Also note, that removing the clams and replacing them with a fish or two turns it into seafood chowder which is sometimes preferable to clam chowder.

http://www.food.com/recipe/legal-seafoods-new-england-clam-chowder-78835

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2015 IP
  9. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a little like white poultry meat - a little dry, so it has to be complemented with other ingredients to soften the taste. I prefer it either marinated, stewed or stuffed with rice. And yeah...I haven't participated in the actual slaughter of the rabbit too, my hands are clean...just my taste buds aren't ;)

Rado_ch, May 1, 2015 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience, domestically raised rabbit is exactly as you say (a bit dry, etc.) That is why I prefer wild rabbit; while a bit gamier, it is typically moist and very tasty. That said, the method of preparation I prefer is sauteƩing in wine and serving over rice.

jrbiz, May 2, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  11. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want to try Fluffernutter yesterday, but our local grocery store doesn't have marshmallow fluff so I and up having a PB and J! LOL :D

Vitarank, May 2, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard that it is hard to find outside of New England, which is surprising to me as it has been on local grocery stores here as long as I can remember. Fortunately, it can be purchased online, though shipping costs might be prohibitive, depending on where you are located:

http://www.amazon.com/Marshmallow-F...=1430599003&sr=8-1&keywords=marshmallow+fluff

jrbiz, May 2, 2015 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, I am darn hungry right now (blasted diet that the wife has me on...) :) And I was thinking about how good it would be to have a traditional New England boiled dinner, tonight.

New England Boiled Dinner.jpg

New England Boiled Dinner
    This dinner, with roots in Ireland, is a one-pot meal native to New England that contains various ingredients, but primarily corned beef, cabbage, carrots, turnips, and potatoes. These ingredients, along with seasonings, are added at various times during cooking and slowly simmered together to create a hearty one-pot meal. Common condiments include horse radish, mustard, and vinegar. The dish is representative of the cultural heritage of the region, notably that of the Irish.

(source for above description: http://www.visitnewengland.com/all/classic-foods-of-new-england/)

Typically, in my experience, just about all local restaurants feature this meal a few weeks before and after St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) but I could go for it tonight instead of the gruel that I will likely be eating.

jrbiz, May 7, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and Rado_ch like this.
  14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Why are you on a diet, but most importantly why is your wife in charge of that??? She should realize that during your extensive travels, you could eat anything you wanted... if you wanted to.

qwikad.com, May 7, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and jrbiz like this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have put on some weight over the holidays and the early part of this year and am having trouble fitting into my business suits. Very expensive to buy an entirely new wardrobe, etc., so I need to lose weight. And since she is the cook in the house, I get to blame her for the diet I am on. Not exactly true, but it makes me feel better when I blame her. :D

jrbiz, May 7, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  16. CuteKid

CuteKid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi guys, I do apologize if anyone is dieting, but one of my guilty pleasure food is an arabic/middle eastern dish called the Kunafa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And YES, the white portion is CHHHHHEEEEEEESSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! yummy!!!!!!

It is one of the best desserts/sweet dishes in the world

CuteKid, May 12, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. CuteKid

CuteKid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For those dieting I don't know what is the best food , but I could suggest one drink,
    It tastes really bland, but it help in dieting and weight maintenance/weight loss [ a bit]
    Honey with warm water . Have it first thing in the morning!! [ some suggest it maybe even before bed , as the body burns a bit of fat and sugars early in the morning]. [ Note: If you have tea after that its ok, but reduce the sugar added as , the body will derive it from the natural sugars found in honey]

Also advisable not to have too much milk tea as the milk + honey = strength and weight gain :-(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    REMEMBER THE WATER HAS TO BE WARM!!!! n Lemon/Lime is optional :)

CuteKid, May 12, 2015 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that looks fantastic. I love cheesecake and cheese Danish (sweets with cheese in them), so I suspect that I would really, really like this dish. I assume that it honey that is being drizzled over the treat?

jrbiz, May 12, 2015 IP
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip. Of course, this thread is probably the antithesis of a dieting thread. Every local food that I have seen posted to date seems to be "high calorie delicious" which is what I was hoping would happen. No apologies for good food eaten well. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    jrbiz, May 12, 2015 IP
  20. CuteKid

CuteKid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks,

And YES that is honey drizzled over the Kunafa dish adds to its deliciousnesssssss!!! [But it is awesome without as well]

CuteKid, May 12, 2015 IP