1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, next on the list of New England foods that are a MUST has to be Fried Clams. Note the lemon and tartar sauce on the side that are a MUST for me:

Fried Clams.jpg

I have to admit to being a bit surprised that more DP members have not jumped in to this thread with their local cuisine options. I enjoy all types of food and would love to hear about members' favorites from around the world.

jrbiz, Apr 19, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm quite surprised about that too! In fact, this is such a huge global community that I was expecting a lotta people to post some really interesting dishes.:(
    Maybe you can include the link to this thread in your sig or spread the word about it through Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc. and see if it gets a better response.:) LOL.

Content Maestro, Apr 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Added it to signature. :)

jrbiz, Apr 19, 2015 IP
  4. EzyTrader

EzyTrader Active Member

Best Answers:
    People may argue with me... but other than the Vegemite and cheese offered up by Kerosene... Australia doesn't really have a local cuisine. My taste buds tend to travel around the world when i eat ... Thai... Italian... Mexican...
    But i would definitely avoid anything with clams in it lol

EzyTrader, Apr 20, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Don't forget to mention the most eaten food of the US: bacon.

Americans eat over $2 billion worth of bacon each year. No other country does it.

qwikad.com, Apr 20, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    And we have the waistlines to prove it! :)

jrbiz, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not even local methods of preparation of standard foods? Is kangaroo or emu on the menu? I suspect that there are some local foods that are fantastic in Australia, though I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting so I cannot speak from experience.

jrbiz, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  8. EzyTrader

EzyTrader Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually yes.. i havn't tried emu yet but i have tried kangaroo a couple of times. It's not the sort of thing most Aussies eat everyday but many have tried it. It's a very lean meat so you have to cook it medium to medium rare.
    I tried crocodile once.. didn't like it much lol

EzyTrader, Apr 20, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, I have always said that the best cut of beef that I have ever had was an ostrich tenderloin. It is very lean, as well, and needs to be cooked perfectly. But it was the sweetest, juiciest red meat that I have ever had. It's not native to New England, of course. :)

jrbiz, Apr 20, 2015 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Came across this picture and knew that it had to go on this thread. If you have never been to a New England Clambake on the beach, it is a bucket list item, for sure. Of course, this is only in the summer. Note that a traditional clambake involves the food being buried under hot rocks in a hole in the beach sand for hours and then being dug up for consumption. Great fun and great food!

New_England_clam_bake.jpg

Beer is usually the drink of choice with this meal. Perhaps an ice cold Sam Adams. :)

jrbiz, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and qwikad.com like this.
  11. pianogirl

pianogirl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My favourite food is definitely Chinese. However, I really love seafood too. I've tried octopus and shark, which I can't say were my favourites, but were pretty good.

Sushi though <3

pianogirl, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So what specific dish from your locale would you recommend? A picture would be great, too. :)

jrbiz, Apr 24, 2015 IP
  13. pianogirl

Best Answers:
    fish and chips.jpg
    That's fish and chips, probably the food for which English is most commonly known. It's traditionally bought from a 'chippy' and served wrapped in paper like in the picture. British people usually eat this with a good dose of salt and vinegar poured over it. :)

yorkshire pudding.jpg
    These are Yorkshire puddings. Apparently you're supposed to eat them before a main meal, since they're quite filling. They usually accompany a traditional 'Sunday roast'.

cornish pasty.jpg
    The popular Cornish pasty, from Cornwall. I think this can be found quite easily in America too, but I'm not sure.

pianogirl, Apr 24, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have been to the UK many, many times. I absolutely LOVE the fish and chips there! And I use the Malt Vinegar there as opposed to tartar sauce that is mostly used here in the US. I have had the pleasure of buying an order of fish and chips off the streets of London and walking around sightseeing while munching on the food. I have heard of Yorkshire pudding and Cornish pasty's but have never tried them. They look scrumptious, however. It may be possible to find them in the US, but usually such "imports" are not as good as they are in their native lands. The Cornish pasty looks sort of like Steak and Kidney Pie (though the last time I was there, the pubs had changed the name to Steak and Ale Pie, though there seems to be either fruit or potatoes in them?

Next time I get to the UK, I will make a point to try both the pasty and the pudding. Thanks!

jrbiz, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  15. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You see @jrbiz? It's working. This thread has slowly started to get a better response.;)
    EDIT: Still, a long way to go esp. if you consider the huge size of this forum.

Content Maestro, Apr 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is slowly growing. I am hoping that we can all learn a lot about foods from around the world. Great topic for me, especially right now, as the wife has me on a diet. I need to get back into some of my business suits and they are a bit too tight lately. So, having a vicarious food experience is about all that I can get right now. :)

jrbiz, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  17. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of delicious food here. :D

Let me cite a few must-try food from where I am, this may not seem as fancy as the ones that are already posted above. But I bet, they are as delicious. [at least to me and my people LOL]

Chami: stir fried noodles in sweet and spicy sauce. A lot of ingredients may be incorporated but the most common and the ones I prefer are hardboiled chicken eggs and deep fried pork (lechong kawali, not really sure how to translate it in English :))
    [​IMG]
    Longganisang Lucban: Sausage with strong garlic taste, best paired with fried rice and dipped in vinegar with lots of onion and chili :D
    [​IMG]
    Sisig: Saute'd ground pork meat, livers and some other stuff (not really sure what the other ones are) served in sizzling plate - best paired with beers :D
    [​IMG]
    Kwek Kwek: Deep fried hard boiled quail/chicken eggs covered with orange batter. this is my favorite street food. Love it dipped in sweet and spicy sauce - vinegar with lots of onions, cucumber and chili works well as well :)
    [​IMG]

Now I am hungry :D

Vitarank, Apr 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. pianogirl

Best Answers:
    @Vitarank, the stir fry noodles looks really good. I love anything stir fry!

pianogirl, Apr 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Me, too. And I just finished eating! They all look great. The two that I would want to try first are the sausages and the eggs but would definitely try all four. Where would I have to visit to find these delicacies?

jrbiz, Apr 25, 2015 IP
  20. pianogirl

Best Answers:
    I can just Google pictures of food from all around the world and post them here for you, @jrbiz :D

pianogirl, Apr 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.