1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Analytics Q&A - Ask me anything

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by kingofthewiki, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are obviously no Google Analytics expert. I am not misreading the report. I know exactly what it says.

Agent000, Mar 18, 2015 IP
  2. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Cool. Thanks for your opinion.

Why don't use another analytics tool instead of complaining about GA

kingofthewiki, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  3. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I am running a Content Experiment between the original (/First-aid-kit-sales/) and variation 1 (/first-aid-kit-sales-v1/). The two images attached represent the same time period. As image 2 shows, the original has registered conversions while the variation 1 has registered zero conversions after 128 sessions. Image 1 shows (reporting>conversions>goals>reverse goal path) that there has been some conversions due variation 1. I also personally know they have been conversions due to variation 1. Why are there no conversions indicated for variation 1 in the content experiment? Where am I going wrong?
    Warm regards,

John Karanja

Attached Files:

John Karanja, Apr 3, 2015 IP
  4. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is something wrong with your conversion setup. How are your goals setup (what/how/where are they collecting the data from?). I cant really give you a specific answer without more details.

kingofthewiki, Apr 3, 2015 IP
  5. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for your fast response.

Please note:

1. Goal Setup - Kindly see attachment Image 3 Goal Setup.
    2. I have tested the Goal Conversions using Real-Time>Conversions and everything is works fine
    3. As you saw earlier, in Image 1 - Conversions>Goals is working well
    4. The working code is validated

I think these four points show we are collecting Goal Conversion data correctly.

Kindly point out where there could be something wrong with the conversion setup.

Attached Files:

6. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Please look at Image 4 -- the experiment sessions to both the original and the variation 1 are clearly shown as 53 and 77 respectively. The other metrics such as pages/sessions avg. session duration bounce rate and % new sessions are also shown. But in Image 2 no Goal Conversions.

Thanks

7. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Are you sure that when you submit a conversion both the OG & variation pages send to the same thank you page URL?

kingofthewiki, Apr 3, 2015 IP
  8. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks, again, for your very fast response.

a) I type in www.alsco.com.au/first-aid-kit-sales/ (i.e. the original page) and enter details in the “Get a Quick Quote” and click “Contact Us Now”, I am redirected to www.alsco.com.au/first-aid-sales-thank-you/

b) I type in www.alsco.com.au/first-aid-kit-sales-v1/ (i.e. the variation page) and enter details in the “Get a Quick Quote” and click “Contact Us Now”, I am redirected to www.alsco.com.au/first-aid-sales-thank-you/

You may want to repeat that just to be double sure.

Warm regards,

John Karanja

John Karanja, Apr 4, 2015 IP
  9. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That looks fine to me! Send me a screenshot of how your goal is setup!

kingofthewiki, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  10. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Please find attached the Goal set up.

Attached Files:

John Karanja, Apr 5, 2015 IP
  11. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    From what I see - you have both the goal and final conversion pages setup correctly.

I PM'd you with my details. Thanks

kingofthewiki, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  12. John Karanja

John Karanja Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Thanks for your continued assistance & patience.
    I am sorry I am new. PM'd means?

John Karanja, Apr 6, 2015 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    PM means "Personal message" - they'll show up as a counter on "inbox" in the upper-right corner of the website, next to "alerts".

PoPSiCLe, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  14. Feb S

Feb S Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thank you for offering us your help. I really appreciate this. I do have a question for you.

I am looking at the Previous Page Path for my webpages and you can find Previous Page Path in the following reports:
    A) Behavior --> All Pages --> Navigation Summary
    B) Behavior --> All Pages --> Explorer

For Report A, I set the Current Selection to let's say, Homepage.html. And for the Previous Page Path, in the Field Box, I put let's say Contact-us.html.
    For Report B, I added a Secondary Dimension (Previous Page Path) and applied Advanced Filters i.e. Page = Homepage.html and Previous Page Path = Contact-us.html.

Now, the Numbers of Pageviews found in Report A and Report B are different. Why is this so? Which one can I trust?
    I am trying to find how much traffic went into Homepage.html from Contact-us.html as the Previous Page.

Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

Feb S, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  15. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks - I thought it meant private message ;-)

Hello - no problem :)

What I would do;
    You should find your page in the explorer menu (Behavior --> All Pages --> Explorer). Type your page in the filter box (contact.html) -> click on it -> use navigation summary to find where people went!

You should look at unique page views!

kingofthewiki, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  16. Feb S

Feb S Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, sorry I think I didn't make it clear enough. What I was trying to do was to look at the flow of traffic coming into the Homepage.html from Contact-us.html. It's a very specific flow. So, from Contact-us.html, then Homepage.html. It's like looking at a small subset of the Behavior Flow Report, in a way. Yes, Report B I mentioned above (Behavior --> All Pages --> Explorer) allows me to view the Unique Pageviews as well. And I also added Previous Page Path as a Secondary Dimension because I was interested in looking at traffic coming into Homepage.html from Contact-us.html (the way I did this was by setting up an Advanced Filter and set Secondary Dimension - Previous Page Path as Contact-us.html). I was able to look at both Pageviews and Unique Pageviews, but comparing the numbers against the Pageviews from Report A I mentioned earlier (Behavior --> All Pages --> Navigation Summary), they are different. Same Metrics (Pageviews) but different Numbers.

Feb S, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  17. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    private, personal - same meaning, just different wording - it can mean both :)

PoPSiCLe, Apr 7, 2015 IP
  18. kingofthewiki

kingofthewiki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Got it! The numbers are going to be different due to multiple reasons.

The two methods you used PRESENT the information differently. When you use the filter box and put in a URL, make sure you put in the exact URL you want the data for. Some URL change dynamically or users type them in directly. For example: When you filter results for contact.html, you will only get results for that specific page. However, people could be going to contact.html/ (with slash), which count different pageview.

Sampling of the data can skew the percentages/numbers in the different views. Always look at percentages rather than solid numbers to get more insights on your data.

If you want to effectively measure this more accurately. I would suggest you create a goal and use the funnel option with a required entrance point (which would be the contact page url).

Incase you don't want to create a goal! For this type of research. You should trust the navigation summary rather than the B method you used.

kingofthewiki, Apr 8, 2015 IP
  19. Jack Gray

Jack Gray Peon

Best Answers:
    I am trying to track hit numbers for downloading PDF files but I'm having no success.

I'm using Analytics.js with the following in the <head> of each page:

<script>

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){

(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)

})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-24077462-1', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

At each download link I have the following code:

<a href="pdf/CCC2015AdPricingWEBinteractive2.pdf" target="_blank" onClick="ga('send','event',{eventCategory:'PDF',eventAction:'Download',eventLabel:'Spring Special pdf});">here</a>

I then test by clicking on the live link 2-3 times. The next day I check to see if any events are recorded in Google Analytics and I see none. I am looking under Behavior=>Events=>Overview AND Top Events AND Pages and I see no events recorded.

What could I be doing wrong? I am hoping that another set of eyes will pick up on some error.

Jack Gray, Apr 15, 2015 IP
  20. Jack Gray

Jack Gray Peon

Best Answers:
    I am trying to track hit numbers for downloading PDF files but I'm having no success.

I'm using Analytics.js with the following in the <head> of each page:

<script>

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){

(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)

})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-24077462-1', 'auto');

ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

At each download link I have the following code:

<a href="pdf/CCC2015AdPricingWEBinteractive2.pdf" target="_blank" onClick="ga('send','event',{eventCategory:'PDF',eventAction:'Download',eventLabel:'Spring Special pdf});">here</a>

I then test by clicking on the live link 2-3 times. The next day I check to see if any events are recorded in Google Analytics and I see none. I am looking under Behavior=>Events=>Overview AND Top Events AND Pages and I see no events recorded.

What could I be doing wrong? I'm hoping that another set of eyes can pick up on an error.

Jack Gray, Apr 15, 2015 IP