1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm making shirts

Discussion in 'General Business' started by hunterhancock, Feb 6, 2015.

1. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If so, I believe in you even more!!

Be careful with photos and sharing ideas. If your idea is really bright, then do all you can to get started.
    Sharing your idea is not really what you want... I mean, it's not your dream.

Success is your dream!!

However, when it comes to material things such as clothes, there are no such thing as patent or protected ideas... If your idea is great, it will be stolen one day. I'd say, it's almost certain.

This is nothing personal! Just look at all other pirate items out there. Car parts, branded clothes, medical drugs, designers items...
    I don't want to scare you, but this is how the world looks like and you have to include this in your calculation.

That's why sharing photos and sharing ideas before you even have the product may not be too wise...!
    I think your product still can succeed, but you have to be smart! That's all!

angelica c, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  2. Owen Hamony

Owen Hamony Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Nobody likes to utter the words, "that's impossible," but sometimes it truly feels like it is. When those moments hit you, it's worth remembering Napoleon words. You just need to suck it up, take on those challenges, and get the job done

Owen Hamony, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  3. Owen Hamony

Owen Hamony Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Its a very good idea! I really like what you are doing here. Just posting your idea and getting feedback from people which is customer validation. Mannufacture about 5 T-shirts and test out first and then see what people say. At start you never know if its going to work or not. No one can say its not going to work or no one is going to invest. Stupid ideas have got funded. But believe in your idea of course. Doubt kills you more than the failure does.

4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    #1. The words "that's impossible" were never used. So your quote is irrelevant to my quoted post.

#2. This is the real world. Let's not feed someone a bunch of BS and lead them to believe his idea is unique, sought after, and non-competitive to even make 1 single sale at a loss.

I would encourage him to try to sale one shirt at $2.

NetStar, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  5. Ence Litsep

Ence Litsep Active Member

Best Answers:
    NetStar how about you stop lurking on this thread you troll. Your negativity only demonstrates how little you understand what is going on. You don't even understand the concept of the shirts that he is trying to make. You are just mad that people aren't agreeing with you and then badgering them. You are acting as a bully that acts out for attention. When these shirt goes on sale I am going to buy one and shake his hand.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Ence Litsep, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  6. Owen Hamony

Owen Hamony Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well said! So much negativity going on with NetStar.

Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.

Being an entrepreneur I know how it feels like. I will help him to succeed with his idea. When AirBnB came in investors were skeptic about the concept and the app and now its a billion dollar app.

Best example I can give is!
    Forever 21 founder Do Won Chang worked as a janitor, gas station attendant, and in a coffee shop when he first moved to America

The husband-and-wife team — Do Won Chang and Jin Sook — behind Forever 21 didn't always have it so easy. After moving to America from Korea in 1981, Do Won had to work three jobs at the same time to make ends meet. They opened their first clothing store in 1984.

Forever 21 is now an international, 480-store empire that rakes in around $3 billion in sales a year.

Ralph Lauren was once a clerk at Brooks Brothers dreaming of men's ties.

Luxury goods mogul Francois Pinault quit high school in 1974 after being bullied for being poor

Go for it work hard until it succeeds and you will. Get customer feedback of course but see how people rate your T-shirts. For example take 20 people and see how many good reviews and how many bad reviews you get. If bad reviews are more than 10 you need to figure out whats wrong and then improve the next batch and then keep on selling.

7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:

As a member for nearly 8 years, I am not a troll lol. Neither am I negative. I am a realist. Even if he had a GREAT idea for a piece of fashion I would have STILL advised against even trying to tackle that saturated market as it would be so difficult to yield the smallest return.

It's irrelevant if you choose to agree with me or not. I am not mad. We should offer REAL opinions on here and not just paint rainbows and butterflies for someone who asks for an opinion on their idea.

If you think for one second selling a tshirt with a picture of a vegetable on the pocket is a unique product that is sought after you are in for a rude awakening. And with larger companies having the ability to sell their t-shirts retail for the cost of your inventory wholesale (before graphic print) it will pose a great challenge to be competitive.

Again... I challenge the original poster to try to sell his tshirt at $2. And everyone in this thread who is saying "I will buy his shirt it's a great idea!!" is so full of it and will NOT buy his shirt or even remember to check on his success or failure a week from now.

So let's get real.

NetStar, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing to receive feedback on. He is NOT producing the t-shirt. He's simply smacking a graphic on it and reselling it at a higher fee. What's there to review? "Great shirt...I could have paid less but decided to pay a lot more for the ironed on corn because I like veggies"???? Lol.

I'm very adamant on this being a terrible waste of time because it is.

NetStar, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  9. Ence Litsep

Best Answers:
    Your comments have saturated this thread. No matter how many suppliers there are of fashion a newer fresher "cooler" design is all that matters. Otherwise new companies wouldn't survive like redbubble, zazzle and plenty of others.

The worst part about your protests are you don't even know what the design is that he is going to make. You simple refuse that he could come up with an original design that could be attractive. You are crushing an idea before it has even been displayed.

You made some good points but some of the things you say just prove that you don't really know what you are talking about. Especially when it comes to kickstarter.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Ence Litsep, Feb 20, 2015 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going off from what he described. So I'm assuming the design is exactly how he portrayed it to be....a tshirt with a graphic of a vegetable.

That's not correct.

KickStarter is a site to seek funding for your company in the way of pre-orders to reach a financial goal. Often the merchandise is over priced to reach the goal faster. That IS the concept of KickStarter....launching new products that may not have the funding most established businesses have. Am I missing something or do you not know what KickStarter is?

As for not knowing what I'm talking about.... My ONLY point is a t-shirt (already made) bought wholesale, slapped with a graphic and sold for retail is an insanely competitive market. He does not have a brand or ANY connection to recreate the shirt less (or even equal) to a major distributor. So if he's hoping to sell even a single t-shirt by only having a simple graphic of a vegetable it's LESS likely he will see any success. It's just not unique enough in todays market. That's the truth.

As for having an opinion....he asked for it. If you don't like to read it...then don't. What makes DP a HORRIBLE place for feedback is you have a lot of nimrods who will tell you "OMG that is a fantastic idea.. Chase your dream!! O-M-G" when in reality they are simply lying to you. You will also have your nimrods who will reply to me and say "that's so negative of you netstar.. I will buy his shirt!!!!" then disappear and fall off the planet and never actually give the original poster a dollar for his "awesome shirt".

Dumb idea. He shouldn't do it unless he comes up with an actual original idea and marketing plan. If you still disagree then odds are you are just as dumb with a warped sense of reality. =)

NetStar, Feb 21, 2015 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  11. Ence Litsep

Best Answers:
    My issue isn't the fact you are saying it is a bad idea. It is the way you are saying it. The way you have to respond to any person who gives the slightest encouragement and berate them calling them stupid. Asking the original poster if it is a joke and saying it is impossible to make any money off of his idea. You are judging his idea off a one sentence description. You act like you have the answers but you don't really know? You make statements filled with half truths and absolutes. If you disagree then post it state it clearly and fairly but you don't need to go on a vendetta like you have. How many posts have you posted on this thread? How many people have you called stupid? If these questions bother you then you shouldn't post in an open forum where people are free to state their opinion.

Ence Litsep, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So who cares if you don't like how I say it? Don't read it if it makes you feel bad.

They are stupid. I think everyone is stupid when they say "aww shucks.. don't be hard on the guy... I'll buy his product!!!!". They won't. They are liars. Therefore they are stupid. =)

I am judging his idea off from his own description. You must have missed the part where he had a one sentence description then asked for opinions. =)

I never provided an answer. Nor did I provide anything that would proclaim me as an expert in the field of selling cotton t-shirts. I just use logic and common sense. You have some, don't you?

Full Truth: Clothing distributors make t-shirts for pennies and can sell to the direct consumer often for what a small company will pay wholesale. He would have to mark up his t-shirt above the normal price of a plain t-shirt to see a profit.

Full Truth: The only unique part of his t-shirt is a small printed picture of a vegetable. The t-shirt itself can be bought less on line.

Full Truth: Retail clothing is a competitive market.

Full Truth: His idea isn't original enough to be listed on KickStarter and see success. No one is going to pay for his product thinking it will ever be successful or in demand.

Where are the half truths?

You're stupid too.

See.. You're stupid. If my replies bother you then you shouldn't post in an open forum where people are free to state their opinion. What makes your opinion greater than mine? Why should my opinion matter less? Because it's not in the original posters favor? Because it's not in agreement with yours? See...you're stupid.

NetStar, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  13. Seogoogle1

Seogoogle1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If DP Charging big payment of your business for advertisement purpose that's why? because bring lots of clients which interested in your business so you right said Advertise is key of business.

My Suggestion Join DP Advertisement Network and Promote your business if you have some extra money for Growing business.

Seogoogle1, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  14. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. DP is a tech forum, as I'm sure you've noticed, and for this reason it may not be the best place to advertise... there are other forums that may suit better!

2. I think also, DP may not be the best place to share ideas!

3. If you want money from anyone, parents, friends, investors... it's not always a good thing. Because you pay in freedom. No matter what, they always want something back, something in return. Usually quite fast.
    The safe side of using your own money is that you are also in charge of the pace! Very many ideas fails. If you loose money from your own pocket, then it's not that bad. The alternatives are worse, trust me!
    T-shirts is absolutely something that you must pay from your own pocket. If you can't afford it, then wait until you can! It's simple!

angelica c, Feb 21, 2015 IP
  15. hunterhancock

hunterhancock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I appreciate all your opinions weather they be positive or negative. I know the positive people may be a little unrealistic but it never hurts to try. Even if this doesn't get huge or anything, it isn't what I expected from it anyways, just something to feel out. I have done the math and know I could make a profit but even if I don't it doesn't mean it was pointless. You learn a lot from failing and I wouldn't learn anything if I didn't try right!? BUT for now I'm just feeling out the idea and then I'll put it up on Prefundia.com and see how the views go and what people think and who's interested then maybe fully develop the idea. I have all the connections with China or the Philippines to mass produce it but for now I'm just getting the idea out there. Thanks for all the input, support, and opinions. This worked better than I thought it would.

hunterhancock, Feb 23, 2015 IP
    NetStar and joshuar like this.
  16. Snoopy240

Snoopy240 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just promote it to the right audience, and see how they like it! :)

Remember; marketing is key!!

Cheers! :D

Snoopy240, Feb 23, 2015 IP
    hunterhancock likes this.
  17. indiabazaaronline

indiabazaaronline Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think, people will not buy

indiabazaaronline, Feb 23, 2015 IP
  18. joshuar

joshuar Member

Best Answers:
    That is super cool that you are being understanding even though you have received some negative comments. Better to fail and learn than not try at all. Good luck!

joshuar, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  19. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The idea is good. With a promotion in Social Media sites, it would be just a matter of time to get clients! :)

patco, Feb 24, 2015 IP
  20. nathan neeley

nathan neeley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i started a tshirt/clothing co last year. heres what i learned:

anything can sell, its all about the design - if its sick it will sell
    promoting health is awesome! good lean towards the green industry
    order in bulk..sike! make sure you only print 1 or 2 shirts first. its good to use a heat press to make a prototype before you pay for screens. once you know a shirt will sell, buy the screens.
    have a place lined up to promote it. ie little surf shops
    promote it like crazy online
    make an email chain and instagram for it so that you can keep the people connected and informed with new shirts that you make.
    be on your hussle. be ready to bring shirts to peopel everywhere.
    to sell them, do a survey. and have the last question be would you buy a shirt? when they say yes, act surprised and saw "awesome no way here i can get you one right now" and close the sale!!!!

best of luck with this, its a hard industry. im actually trying to get out but im in too deep. its hard because your profit isnt much but if your passionate do it! then its worth it but if youre selling aloha shirts at the swapmeet you'll make more, just saying. ;0

nathan neeley, Feb 26, 2015 IP
    hunterhancock likes this.