1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me evaluate my skills

Discussion in 'CSS' started by carterland, Feb 16, 2015.

Hi,

I’ve been coding HTML&CSS for a while and I want to learn and practice more but I need your help on this.

I recently coded this page http://www.weddingcertified.com/certified-wedding-vendor/
    and I was wondering how many working hours do you guys need to complete a task like this. Only HTML&CSS, responsive.

I know the coding on this page is not perfect, but I need to figure out if I work fast enough.

So, how much time you would need to code this page if you had the design?

Thanks a lot!

carterland, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't give you a time estimate because I would never take on something with such a horrible design. If I could not convince the client to go to something that did not have accessibility, usability, and SEO issues I would give them a list of other developers who are more into doing junk.

I also would not be seeking evaluation of my work on a page that contains errors and is so badly broken that the validator cannot even get all the way through it.

COBOLdinosaur, Feb 16, 2015 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. carterland

carterland Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for you reply, but you are just rude :)

The job has nothing to do with preferences, I'm talking about skills. How fast can you do it? It doesn't matter that the design is good or not.
    Also, I'm not evaluating my validation skills (I clearly stated that in the original post), but the time it took to create the page. The link was posted to show the design, I could just link to a image.

So cheer up, don't waste your time nor mine. Thanks.

carterland, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, that' was HONEST, and you didn't want to hear it... and you might not want to hear this either, but BOHICA.

Nor did his comment, the page has severe accessibility and design issues that show a severe lack of skills -- so when you ask:

The correct answer is no time, because he wouldn't... nor would I. It's a train wreck of how not to build a website with such massive issues in design and accessibility I pity the client who probably doesn't know any better.

That might seem harsh, but it's the truth. You're worrying about speed of building rubbish, when to be frank you need to learn how not to build rubbish. It's a laundry list of "how not to build a website" and to be frank, reeks of the back-assward approach of dicking around in a paint program making goofy pictures before even thinking about what's actually important -- CONTENT.

Normally I'd give you a breakdown of everything wrong when posting something like that -- but in your case given your reaction to an honest answer all that's going to do is get your panties in a bigger wad. Simple fact is, how long would it take? I dunno, how long does it take to delete the entire directory it's contained in on your OS?

... as in terms of design, accessibility and execution, that's where it belongs. I wouldn't even TRY to build a page like that. Apologies if that upsets you, but that's the harsh light of reality. Do yourself a favor and learn about legible colour contrasts, separation of presentation from content, content-first design and development, and generally speaking how to use HTML and CSS properly.

Though it is Turdpress, so rubbish markup reeking of "semantics, what's that" and "inheritance, what's that?" mated to dozens of separate files for nothing and endless pointless style inlined in the markup is just par for the course. Just another reason I wouldn't have done that in the first place, and if someone insisted, have as CobolDinosaur said forked them off on someone who didn't give a flying purple fish about the client or the site in question actually being successful.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    deathshadow, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  5. carterland

carterland Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not the author of WordPress, the theme used on it and the design either.
    I'm well aware of the problems that website has, it's full of bloatware.

My part of the job I did it pretty well and I don't need to point it out because I don't need your approval.
    And if you learn a tiny bit about communication skills, you don't give "honest" feedback for something that wasn't asked.

The questions was: PSD to html/css conversion. How long does it take you? Here is a design for reference.
    I posted the link to show the work is completed, I don't need your information for anything else but only for self-assessment. If I could change the original post, I would replace the link with an image... my bad.

If you want to be helpful, please answer to the question above and comment in a relevant way, otherwise keep your honest feedback to yourself.

I'm only hurt only by your ignorance.

carterland, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, methinks you are the one requiring aid in communication, because in both your initial posts it was extremely vague what you were asking; you did not say what parts you did; you said you coded it -- did you or didn't you? Did you do the HTML/CSS or NOT?!? You seem to be saying that you both did and did not at the same time!

Well then MAYBE you should have said that. But yes, we're magically supposed to divine that from your vague question and link to a train wreck of how not to build a website.

I think you forgot the link, but the answer would remain unchanged... WHY?

Because dicking around drawing goofy pictures in photoshop is NOT web design. PSD before you have semantic markup or working layoutS (Yes, PLURAL) is putting the cart before the horse and just begging for a bloated slow loading inaccessible disaster. Again, laundry list of how NOT to build a website. Someone comes to me with a PSD I show them the door... making sure it DOES hit them in the ass on the way out. That' sleazy scam artist artsy-fartsy bull that does nothing but get in the way of doing what's important on a website: Delivering CONTENT to users!

While I am greatly troubled by yours -- since it seems like many others you are being led down the garden path to failure by broken methodologies, back-assward development approaches and to be frank, scam artist nube predating BS.

Of course you don't want to hear that everything you are doing is wrong, hence why you aren't going to listen with your "keep your feedback to yourself" comment -- Joe forbid someone tell you that the approaches you are learning is a bunch of halfwit nonsense and it's time to step back and bother learning to use HTML and CSS properly so that you have accessibility, graceful degradation and so forth.

Proper site development starts with the content or a reasonable facsimile of future content, that is then marked up semantically (if you choose your tags based on what the default appearance instead of what they mean, you're choosing all the wrong tags for all the wrong reasons!), has it's layoutS for all the different media and device capabilities created in CSS, and then and ONLY then do you bring in the PSD jockey to do a paint-over if desired/needed... something increasingly not needed thanks to CSS3. The site can then be further enhanced with scripting if desired keeping in mind the unwritten rule of JavaScript -- if you can't make the page work without scripting first, you likely have no business adding scripting to it. It is called progressive enhancement which provides something important called "graceful degradation" -- it means that EVERY possible user agent -- what you'd call a browser -- gets something meaningful and not just the folks who happen to be on the same size screen as what some artist happened to be seated in front of... and that includes screen readers, braille readers, search engines, and a whole host of other devices. It also means should any bits and pieces along the way be missing or intentionally blocked (like the scripting or the CSS) the page is still functional.

Having some artsy fartsy type piss out a PSD? That's not web design, that's ignorant halfwit bull and as such turning those bloated inaccessible "pretty pictures" into a website is ALWAYS a disaster. Simple fact is such "designs" are not web design, and the people making them with the giant pair of donkey brass to call themselves "designers" are so ignorant of HTML, CSS, accessibility, emissive colourspace and every other aspect of building a website that they are only qualified to design but two things right now... and Jack left town.

... as evidenced by that site from a design perspective ALONE with it's dozens of "has no business on a website" design concepts. Hence the answer is unchanged; how long would it take? How long does it take to show the PSD jockey who knows jack **** about designing websites to the door? PSD to HTML/CSS is broken back-assward bull, and anyone telling you otherwise is either so ignorant they have no business flapping their gums on the topic, or trying to sell you something!

Take a look at the big success stories of the Internet -- Google, E-Bay, Amazon, FaceBook, Twitter, Craigslist -- do these REALLY look like they have someone sitting there spanking it on the screen in Photoshop involved in their template/layout process?

You might not want to hear that, but that's the truth of it! Don't ask a question if you can't handle an honest answer. 99.99% of the time the "PSD first" approach is nothing more than dumping a can of shellac on a pile.

Oh, and if I were to build such a site for someone using the process I outlined above with it's progressive enhancement providing graceful degradation instead of the halfwit "I canz draus pwetty picturz inns photoshoop" approach, the initial document structure, HTML and CSS probably wouldn't take more than an hour. Tweaking the appearance and the back and forth with the client would then take anywhere from 20 minutes to four days depending on how picky they are and how much I'd have to educate them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    deathshadow, Feb 17, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur and malky66 like this.
  7. carterland

carterland Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should write more. Good stuff. Honestly

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think DS about cover it. I will just add that if you are willing to work on something like that load of crap, then you lack the integrity and pride in your work that is necessary to be a professional web developer. You might want to consider a career with Burger King, because with your attitude and inability to accept the criticism you have no future in any kind of business related career.

You got our help and rejected it because we are not willing to tell you what you want to hear, or encourage you to continue down the dead end road you are on.

COBOLdinosaur, Feb 17, 2015 IP
  9. carterland

carterland Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your help guys.