1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm making shirts

Discussion in 'General Business' started by hunterhancock, Feb 6, 2015.

I'm making shirts and I'm putting vegetable and fruit fabrics on breast pockets, how do I get people into this idea? Do you think people would buy them or think its a cool health promotion idea?

hunterhancock, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  2. BOXC Websites

BOXC Websites Peon

Best Answers:
    Advertise is key. Doesn't DP have advertising for low prices ;)

BOXC Websites, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  3. DinoJRG

DinoJRG Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt there is a big market for it. When it comes to clothing efficiency and high numbers count for production. Your shirts sound a bit of a pain to make.

DinoJRG, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    #1. If by vegetable and fruit fabrics you mean vegetable and fruit graphic/picture/print/art work I think it's absolutely corny (no pun intended). But then again....that's just my individual taste. I am health conscious but I don't want a t-shirt with a frigging apple or banana on the pocket.

#2 The clothing business sucks. The mark up is ridiculous and the larger companies mass produce shirts at the rate of pennies per item. Can you? If not then you are in a very very competitive market with LOTS of options for the consume. If all your shirt has to offer is a picture of a fruit of vegetable on the pocket that may not be enough for your common consumer to justify spending even an extra dollar for it.

#3 Whoever suggested you to advertise on DigitalPoint is about as stupid as stupid can be. Marketing should be relative. Advertising a health conscious t-shirt on a forum for geeks and web masters (who probably all wear robes and/or someones donated toga from the community cave) makes zero sense.

Personally I don't like the idea. I don't think it will take off. Unless you come up with something more original, creative and a unique way to brand yourself I don't think you have a chance of even producing a single sale. BUT that is MY opinion and should be worth nothing to you if this is your dream.

NetStar, Feb 8, 2015 IP
    sweetpea69 and Avener like this.
  5. DinoJRG

DinoJRG Member

Best Answers:
    What the hell. I'm not a geek. Speak for yourself. Plenty of chicks think I'm cool because I come here.

DinoJRG, Feb 8, 2015 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  6. HostHub.io

HostHub.io Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello! It may be a niche for these t-shirts you think of too, but maybe it won't have as many enthusiasts as to make a good profit for you. Try to research a bit more and see how many people would be interested in these products. Make a digital mock-up of the t-shirts and advertise them on related forums, Fb pages, Reddit and see what is the feedback. Good luck!

HostHub.io, Feb 9, 2015 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I, too, think the idea is a bit sucky, but if you are really into it why not give it a try on ebay and etsy?

Make, let's say, 10 shirts place ads on both ebay and etsy. If after a month or so you don't sell any then that will be your clear sign to steer clear from that business idea.

qwikad.com, Feb 9, 2015 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose you technically could have a pretty cool shirt not produce sales on Ebay due to the insane amount of similar listings. So that may no produce an accurate metric on your potential success or failure.

NetStar, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  9. hunterhancock

hunterhancock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'll post a design soon so you guys can all see what I'm actually thinking about or what it will really look like. That should put it a little more into perspective. I am going to launch this idea with a video on Kickstarter and see how it goes. Thanks for the input, let me know what you think of the design when I put it up, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks:)

hunterhancock, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  10. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes its a creative idea i hope you will get demand on quality,,,

CYCchips, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No offense but.....wtf is kickstarter going to do for you? You're looking to make tshirts with a picture of a fruit or vegetable on the pocket. Who the HELL is going to say "O-M-G I need to invest in this because this is a KILLER IDEA!". Dude...not to burst your happy bubble but this ISN'T something ANYONE would invest in or donate money to see. Are you SERIOUS? Is this a joke? Do you HONESTLY think for one single second this could EVER be something you could profit from???????? The reality is...it's STUPID. And it's not significant enough to demand an investment. The fact that you are going to run to kickstarter instead of using your own money first is key indication that you don't believe it will do well.

NetStar, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  12. Ence Litsep

Ence Litsep Active Member

Best Answers:

I think you view kickstarter in the wrong light. Its not a investment it's simply a preorder of a product. The fact you think it is a method of investing in a project demonstrates how little you know about kickstarter. Not every thing on kickstarter is a crazy idea or even a new design if you look up pens you will see plenty of projects that have been funded with pens that have rudimentary functions. If you look at the links below you can see how some t shirts projects have made over $100,000 of sales on kickstarter. Now I am not saying he is going to make a ton of money but he very well could make a profit and his idea doesn't warrant your slander.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikko/the-t-shirt-you-can-play-tic-tac-toe-tee?ref=nav_search
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/741186545/a-shirt-that-cleans-itself?ref=category_most_funded
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...like-theyre-tailored?ref=category_most_funded

Ence Litsep, Feb 15, 2015 IP
  13. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is the best answer.

I will be honest, there is always a market for new clothes. I have seen people pay $80 to $100 for a crappy shirt that was damaged when it was new. People are always wanting things that are different, even if they wear it only a few times.
    To me, your shirt sounds like a dreadful idea.... but others might love it.

But you might be better to work on your idea, and presentation. Show people local to you how they would look, a sample, pricing, etc, and see what their reactions are.
    It might be better to work on other ideas. A normal white shirt that has a funny logo on it, can have a very low cost of printing a few of each ones, and can possibly earn more then your other idea. For example, I have a shirt that says, "I dont need google, my wife knows everything"..... But I would have to be nuts to buy a fruit shirt.

From there, if you have sales and interest in your designs, that is when you can consider to do a kickstarter to:
    1. make direct sales to kickstarter supporters
    2. gain funds so you can find other ways to sell your shirts (ie, ecommerce website,and or pay for adwords, or pay for expos, and or other ideas)

matt_62, Feb 15, 2015 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry. I thought he posted in an open forum and asked "Do you think people would buy them or think its a cool health promotion idea?". I thought that warranted an opinion... but I guess I was wrong. I should have said hooray awesome idea go waste your time and money....

As for kickstarter... perhaps you should actually go to Kickstarter and see what it is. You FUND someones project by donating money, usually by the way of over paying for the product to help it's creator reach their goal. The goal is ALWAYS a financial tier.

NetStar, Feb 15, 2015 IP
  15. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    People are sceptic in this thread and so am I.
    But think reverse: If you like the idea and if you think there is such market, then you just have to find the RIGHT people for it!

Maybe Internet is not the best place!? Or not the only place!? How about flee markets? Or, a simple stand in the street...?
    After all, shirts is an IRL experience! Maybe your shirts will do better IRL than on the screen!?
    Photos are not always the optimal answer to every problem!
    Actually, the combination may work!
    I believe in you!!

angelica c, Feb 19, 2015 IP
  16. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you believe in him because you know him and his work ethic is impeccable and ideas have a proven success track record? Perhaps you believe in the product as well and want to be his first purchase of a cotton tshirt with a picture of a tomato on the pocket? Or did you just say you believe in him because you wanted to be nice and tell him what he wants to her?

NetStar, Feb 19, 2015 IP
  17. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do what the hell you want. It's your dream. Make it happen and see how it turns out.

ceenote100, Feb 19, 2015 IP
  18. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I say, "it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!"
    I think it's good to show support to people with the idea. I know only what is written in this thread!
    As I wrote in the post, I'm not the target customer!

angelica c, Feb 19, 2015 IP
  19. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should support him by purchasing his tshirt. You can always give it to a friend or family member as a gift. I am sure it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who will be cRaZy about a white cotton tshirt with a carrot on the pocket, right?

NetStar, Feb 19, 2015 IP
  20. hunterhancock

hunterhancock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I really like your guys suggestions, even if they are brutally honest but you guys still have the wrong idea of what it's going to look like. It isn't as simple or basic as you guys are thinking when talking about how it's going to look. I know it's not a crazy awesome idea but I know it isn't stupid. I will put a photo of what it's going to look like soon and also I am going to upload the idea to prefundia.com to see the market first. Thanks

hunterhancock, Feb 19, 2015 IP