1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

4 Years Later... Has Anything Changed?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Would just like to ask you …. Has the (written) content trading market become really depressing over the years? I see so many people grouching about the low pay that prevails nowadays. It may be true for the most part as far as the freelancing domain is concerned, but is the picture same with other domains? I mean top corporate companies still hire copywriters for their copies/sales letters and actually pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for it. Have people in general really started caring less about real quality content?

Content Maestro, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  2. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not depressing, just more crowded and with worse payouts. The way I see it this will always happen no matter what, so it's best not to dwell on it, but rather simply move on and find less tapped niches.

The reason I stopped freelancing has little to do with the payouts, in CRO I can find fairly easy gigs paying $30 an hour, which, although not much, is reasonable. The reason I stopped has more to do with loneliness, I was afraid I might become a hermit or something.

geegel, Feb 2, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, its slow. It's crowed. There's way too much going on. And I still am unable to find out what it is they sell.

Did it myself kiddo. Cost me nothing. It's simple. Loads fast. Works with multiple platforms. Contains no flash, over sized imagery or other unrelated items that have nothing to do with what I'm selling.

Plays well with SE's, gets a lot of traffic, and provides an income for 18 year now.

If they really had "several departments and teams" working on it, that's pretty sad. I could have done better in a few days, by myself.

For a fast food joint, sure. But for the industry I am in? Nope. People don't buy dedicated servers from a mobile device. At least not he high end services I sell.

Looks like I am not out of my mind then. You've identified a good looking site that plays well with everything. I appreciate the compliment!

Looks like the one thing missing here was the "Art Dept". Had they one of those, perhaps the web site would have followed the following fundamental premise - form follows function.

Sure they can. I've been doing it for over 20 years now. It's not about being a "jack of all trades"... Sometimes age and experience, coupled with an understanding that people are not interested in "fluff" and "filler" is all it takes.

When a client approaches me expecting to see something as ridiculous as the website you are salivating over, I simply tell them, "would you hire 20 circus clowns to stand outside your storefront jumping up and down, screaming, shouting and waving at everyone that tries to come in? All the while BLOCKING the entrance to your store front so that no one can get in?"

Keep it simple. The SE's will like it, your current customers will like it, and those who find you will love it. There's a reason why Googles own pages contain so much white space, very little words or images.

No, they are "cheap" because frugality is what keeps them from being "broke". If rich people spent all their money on expensive things and over payed, they would not be rich for very long.

You are joking right? To the contrary, it is quite the opposite. Most of the Google's top 10 search results contain dead sites, MFA sites, or websites completely unrelated to the search terms used. Google has become harder to manipulate. But in so doing, they have a lot of crap slipping through the cracks as a result.

Nope. Most people are cheap. If there's no reason to pay twice the amount for the same quality of work, regardless of whether it is the same quality or not, most people will go the cheap route. It's human nature. Especially in 2015 when so many people are so "broke" as you put it.

Thanks for the critique btw. Reminds me of that opening scene in "History of the World Part 1".

"And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth... the critic."

I assume this is the "coherent" "kind of content" people are "going to get" from you:

[​IMG]

Nice grammar. ;)

Mia, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  4. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Looks like I hit a nerve here with this guy. Your website looks like vomit, is poorly coded, poorly styled, has a terrible design and you're sitting here insulting a professional corporate company that paid six figures for a design?

Right, why don't you email them and offer them your expertise. Make sure to let them know you plan on using gif files for their menu or the fact that you plan on using images in the first place. It should go over well I think.

You could do that in a few days? No you can't... You cannot successfully develop a working website within a few simple days. So, if I were to load up every version of current handheld devices and run a website you built in just a few days, it would work perfectly, correct?

If you're unable to find what Wendy's sells, I'm not sure I can help you...

Why are you desperately trying so hard to stick up for cheap clients? If you're cheap and people in this thread hit a nerve, then go about your business. You insulted a website so I merely looked at your website to see the "professional" work of yours. You have no responsive design and your missing out on a lot of mobile search queries because you lack a mobile design. Then again, what do I know? I've only worked on high end websites that didn't use gif files for their menu layout.

The majority of people aren't cheap, that's just the idea people get when they visit a place like this.

I can't tell if you're just a bored troll or if you're just trying to validate yourself as one of the "cheap" people you keep defending in here. Either way, I'm out. I'm not even going to read any more responses in this thread because something tells me this guy has way more time to devote to this than I want to devote to responding to trolls.

*sigh* You honestly can't be helped. Good luck in business with that way of thinking. Then again, according to you (like everyone who gets offended), you're doing well so you have nothing worry about.

coreygeer, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Looks like it's the other way around.

You're new here... We've seen your kind thousands of times before.

When you are ready to lose that Godaddy landing page, let me know. I will be happy to quote you a reasonable price for a decent web site.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Mia, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  6. dddougal

dddougal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Iv been a member for nine years and apart from the change from invision board it seems not that much has changed.
    People are still looking for the magic pill, the quick fix that will make them millions of dollars.
    People who can't speak English are still selling English written articles for peanuts, people are still buying them and publishing them on their sites and people still want everything for nothing. and i'l keep telling them people....
    GET UP AND DO SOME FUCKING WORK AND STOP ASKING RIDICULOUS QUESTIONS!

dddougal, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Been here since 1998... Seen it all, probably done it all... It's changed more than most realize.

Mia, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  8. krozden

krozden Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Mixed feelings and ideas. This is awesome

krozden, Mar 17, 2015 IP