1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submit Questions for My Podcast for Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your question has SOMEWHAT been discussed here - https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...ing-uploaded-on-sites-like-mediafire.2702609/. Hope this helps.

Sorry OP, don't mean to derail your thread.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Content Maestro, Jan 15, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You guys are full of great questions. :)
    jrbiz - I'll check my schedule soon and see when I can work it in. The short answer is that:

A) many authors don't worry about it; or they go after thieves when they find the stolen material being distributed instead,

B) many rely on larger e-book sellers to deal with file protection, like Amazon, and

C) if you sell directly with services like e-junkie (my preference, but there are plenty out there these days), you can watermark .pdf files with the buyer's name and you can often set the download links to expire after a set time period or a certain number of downloads.

Content Maestro -- You lucked out. Your question fell in an episode where I brought on a guest co-host, and she agreed to answer your question with me. So you'll get responses from two pros -- I deal mostly with online articles, she does more print article writing for magazines and trade publications. We just recorded the call today, and I'll edit it next week and release it next Thursday. :)

jhmattern, Jan 15, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Hey, thanks a lot @jhmattern.:) That's cool! I'm really looking forward to that episode being released.
    Anyway, where will I be able to find the link to that podcast after it's published?

4. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Alternatively, you might want to host the download on your own website to be able to track the downloaders' IP better, ask the people who want to download your ebook to subscribe (for free) with a valid email id and generate a unique one-time usable download link which will be emailed to their inbox directly.

5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    That's another reason I love E-junkie -- they collect the ip addresses and email addresses for me (saved in your transaction logs), plus they deal with the unique download links and let me choose how many downloads to use as my limit (1 - 9 I believe?). :) Their site might look ridiculously outdated, but none of the newer services I've looked into have anything close to their feature set, and most would cost significantly more.

jhmattern, Jan 15, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The podcast episode answering your question is now up at http://allindiewriters.com/podcast/7/ (and I think we actually covered your follow-up question here quite a bit). :)

jhmattern, Jan 22, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    That's great! Thanks a million for the podcast @jhmattern.:) I'll check it out shortly and get back to you. Thanks again.

Content Maestro, Jan 22, 2015 IP
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    No problem. I hope it helps. :)

jhmattern, Jan 23, 2015 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Oh well, certainly it will help. I DON'T see any reason it should not.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 23, 2015 IP
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    So. I came back to DP after a 4 year break to get a feel for the writing community here and how it changed. Sadly, I'm finding a lot of the same old BS and misinformation being spewed in the direction of new writers. And those newer writers are still eating it up and making the same old mistakes.

Those of you posting in this thread have been a refreshing exception! You're clearly interested in learning and growing as writers, and that's awesome. You had some great questions. So thank you for that. :)

But that said, my time is limited and I have to be selective about where I spend it. DP is not going to remain one of those places. So I'm going to disappear again and put my energy into better things. Because of that, please don't ask any further podcast questions in this thread. It's unlikely I'll check them.

I'll still tackle jrbiz' question about e-book protection in the next episode (Thursday of next week -- February 5th). So if you're interested in my expanded response, please check out the podcast page at that time (I believe there's already a link in this thread). And if you have any future questions you'd like me to tackle, feel free to email me through the website in my signature. I'll always try to make time to help others genuinely interested in growing their writing businesses.

Best of luck to you. Perhaps I'll see you around in some of the pro communities in the future. :)

jhmattern, Jan 28, 2015 IP
  11. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    @jhmattern, it's but natural that you're somewhat “annoyed” (if I may say so) after witnessing the kind of conversations that mostly go on in this (Copywriting) section. I quite understand that. However, I would earnestly request you NOT to part with the forum ENTIRELY. Most of your posts and responses here have been tremendously insightful and enlightening so far and I really look forward to hear more from you. Yes, some people are slinging all sort of BS and bad advice towards writers esp. the new ones and laughably, some even believe it to be true! But there are also some folks like you who are helping novice writers like me to walk the correct path. I can't imagine what the heck of a place this section of the forums will become if helpful people like you start deserting it one by one.
    Anyway, I do understand time is the greatest constraint and anyone would like to spend theirs wisely, creatively and constructively. So, I can pretty much figure out why you've decided not to spend any/much time here.
    That said, I hope all of us sincerely looking forward to your instructive inputs can be in touch with you via DP or your website or through any platform where you would be active.

One more point – I've gone through the podcast in which you addressed my questions about the lucrative categories of content writing. However, I still haven't taken a detailed and comprehensive look at it, so I'm not really in a position to comment on it or provide any feedback. I still have a lot of questions for you, some of which are based on the podcast. I would be posting them directly on your site or here depending on where you would be mostly and surely available. Thanks a ton again for the demonstrative podcast and I apologize for my delayed response.

Content Maestro, Jan 28, 2015 IP
    jhmattern and jrbiz like this.
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the kind words. :) I'll certainly still be around the writing community -- just not hanging around DP. I only popped back in today to make sure I had jrbiz' followup question ready for this week's podcast. You are always welcome to contact me via email, my writing forums, blog comments, etc. through AllIndieWriters.com. Not wanting to spend much time here doesn't mean I'll be spending any less time helping other writers move on to bigger things too. If you're interested in blogging, I suggest also checking out Sophie Lizard's community at BeAFreelanceBlogger.com. Other than my community, that's another place I tend to spend time trying to help other writers out, and the members are a good group of folks.

jhmattern, Feb 1, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and Content Maestro like this.