1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to judge the quality of a web directory site?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jack Huang, Sep 10, 2014.

I just learnt from a blog post that this joeant.com is recommended as a quality directory site where you can list your site for a better seo purpose. So i tried to check traffic of this site in SEMrush. This result is like this:[​IMG] Does it means that this website is hit seriously for some reasons? Am i going to list my website in this directory?

Jack Huang, Sep 10, 2014 IP
  2. Alice taylor

Alice taylor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's a time-tested method used by virtually all SEOs making a plunge into the world of link building – directory submission. For the most part, it's not excessively expensive, doesn't take a lot of time, and if you submit to the right directories (read: ODP and Yahoo! Directory), it can have a meaningful impact on your website search engine ranking.

Alice taylor, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  3. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest there're not many good directories around.
    But when I decide if I want to list a website I make sure directory is indexed in google (sometimes I actually google "submit to directory" or "web directory" so if they rank so they should be safe).
    Secondly, I check who's listed in the directory... I only submit to the directories which list authority and well known websites listed and I avoid directories who virtually accept anybody for a payment or have lots of broken links.

praetserge, Sep 12, 2014 IP
    eric_wahlberg likes this.
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can Google this web directory before you submit into it.

WallaceYeung, Sep 12, 2014 IP
  5. Jack Huang

Jack Huang Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks, very useful advice.

Jack Huang, Sep 14, 2014 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    So tell me again how SEMrush knows what JoeAnt's traffic is?

Mia, Sep 17, 2014 IP
  7. tipsclear

tipsclear Active Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion: Domain authority and Page authority with Alexa Rank is enough to know about a Directory!

No matter what about the Page Rank. If a Site has good DA and PA, sure it will be a Good Directory. If any Directory is have Good PR, DA, PA and Alexa Rank then close your eyes and submit your site!

tipsclear, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  8. Jack Huang

Jack Huang Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks!

Jack Huang, Sep 18, 2014 IP
  9. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Those are all good suggestions. In my opinion though, you should evaluate a web directory as you would any other web site. When evaluating any other web site, you might first try to determine what it's purpose is, then make an assessment as to how well it serves that purpose.

With a web directory, the first part of that is pretty easy. A web directory is supposed to direct someone to something useful on the Internet. Of course, we also use web directories for their SEO value. But, to the extent that Google's algorithms make sense (and they don't always), a web directory that has sufficient content to be useful to a directory user, and which is organized well enough that someone might be able to find that content with ease, should do well in the SERPs.

That is not always the case, as relatively good directories are sometimes penalized, while some pretty horrid ones enjoy high PageRank from Google, but the fault there lies with Google. Often that gets straightened out in time; not always, but there's not much you or I can do about that.

Are there a large number of useful links in the directory? Is the directory structure sensible? Is it unique in some way, or is it simply another DMOZ clone? Think of a few topics at random, and check to see if the directory includes useful sites relating to these topics.

Does it include other features that might make it useful? In recent years, some of the better directories have begun adding other features, providing content other than categories and outgoing links.

Frankly, I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to Google PageRank as Google itself has deprecated its PageRank, and seldom updates it anymore. On the other hand, I would want to notice if it has no PageRank at all, if none of its internal pages have PageRank, or if it doesn't show up in Google's index, since these things might indicate a recent penalty imposed by the search engine gods.

Alexa Traffic Rank is a joke. There are several sites available for sole purpose of gaming Alexa's Traffic Rank, and they are quite effective. To test that, I put some garbage on an unused domain that I had lying around, paid one of these Alexa scam sites $30 a week for two weeks and brought this site, which wasn't linked anywhere, and had no actual traffic, from not even being in Alexa's index to a point lower than 200,000. Once you approach 100,000, it gets more difficult and I didn't want to invest any more money in it, since it was just a curiosity on my part, so I dropped it at that point. My point is that two trained monkeys clicking on the refresh key of a browser with the Alexa Toolbar installed can earn a reputable Alexa Traffic Rank score.

The Moz number, supposedly, are a bit more reliable. It can take a long time for a new site to rank in Moz scores but a web directory that has been around for a while should have a reasonable score. I think the Majestic score is also worth looking at, as far as SEO metrics go.

Mostly though, I would suggest evaluating a directory for what it is. What is its purpose, and how well does it serve that purpose?

For the past couple of years, I have been reviewing 20 web directories each quarter, and I am always looking for ideas on how I might be able to do that better. I am pretty stuck on the idea that I want to look at each directory from a user perspective though, rather than from that of a site submitter. As I stated earlier, it is my opinion that, where the search engine algorithms are working properly, a directory that does well from a user perspective should also do well in the search engines. Usually, this seems to be the case but, over the past couple of years, I have seen a couple of my top ten directories dinged by Google, and I have found several simply horrid directories with PageRanks of six and seven. Is this a fault of my review criteria, is it a fault in the search algorithms, or is Google targeting even the better web directories? I'm not sure, but I am always looking for suggestions on how I might better review them.

I believe that web directories have served a purpose in the past, and that there is a place for them in the future. Like pretty much everything else in life, they may need to adapt to changing situations, however.

michaeljm72 likes this.
  10. coopersPick

coopersPick Active Member

Best Answers:
    they say that truly unique directories are of use since that is what the search ecosystem came from. While I am not sure how much weight most hold but if you have a directory for garage sale websites and there is a list of garage sale sites in there then it will certainly be beneficial as long as its not a template and totally spammy.

coopersPick, Oct 7, 2014 IP
  11. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    like WDR said , Don't get fooling around because PR or Alexa their have. If you really want to know how judging Quality for Directory you can tried WDR method and see his review on http://www.webdirectoryreviews.org/reviews/

suwandichen13, Oct 8, 2014 IP
  12. a-jani

a-jani Banned

Best Answers:
    While doing submission you will not have much time to thoroughly check each directory for quality but you can always check these 3 things quickly.

PR
    DA
    & Alexa

a-jani, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  13. Hans van der Graaf

Hans van der Graaf Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Recently I have created a complete new directory. It is a combination between a directory and a wiki. That way I hope I have created a directory which is able to adapt changing situations. What do you think of ZOMDir.com?

Hans van der Graaf, Jan 9, 2015 IP
  14. earticles

earticles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  15. Raife

Raife Active Member

Best Answers:
    At the same time though, can Directories generate cash in the idea of e-commerce?

Raife, Jan 20, 2015 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There are multiple ways to monetize a directory. I don't believe adsense or any other CPC system are one of those ways however. The most obvious is the listing fee itself. Beyond that the traffic you're able to generate can drive sales to other sites. I'm not interested in explaining how, but I will say this. I am not in the business for my health. If it was not profitable, I would not be doing it. At the same time, I've not yet quit my day job. ;)

Mia, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  17. Raife

Raife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Love your last thought! Thank you for your advice!! Anyone else have any thoughts?

Raife, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  18. antiver

antiver Peon

Best Answers:
    I think nowadays, a directory is not a good way to get a traffics as well as get ranks.

antiver, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  19. blueskyfile

blueskyfile Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First of all you need to check that site index by Google than alexa rank and than check out the site is safe for search engines. If all are good means directory is good. Like this site.
    Www.learningall.com

blueskyfile, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  20. nkgrg

nkgrg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my case, before submitting to a directory, I do some home work such as checking the directory's
    1. content quality
    2. google serp ranking
    3. alexa, moz or compete rankings
    4. backlinks
    5. dmoz presence
    and finally the price for listing.
    for example: digitalpoint forum also has a directory which has a good ranking in search engines even though it's bit expensive but worth investing.

cheers!

nkgrg, Feb 16, 2015 IP