1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you deal with that nagging writer's block?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Content Maestro, Dec 16, 2014.

1. victoriaansung

victoriaansung Peon

Best Answers:
    What I do is google the topic I am supposed to be writing about to get ideas on what other people are saying about said topic, and then I think about how I would say the same thing in my own words. I know writing block sucks, especially when I want to write about something fun instead of boring product number one million whatever lol.

Also, at least for me, sometimes it simply comes down to procrastination. I can write, it may not be my best writing at the time but I can start typing words at the very least to lighten my workload. I think about what so many other people do for a living- working with their hands, and I realize how grateful and blessed I am to make my living typing on a computer, and just get to work.

victoriaansung, Jan 5, 2015 IP
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks @YMC and @victoriaansung for your inputs.:)
    I agree. When the topic to be written about is interesting, it's easier to get one's creative juices flowing. If it's a dull and juiceless product description I've to write, one thing that works well for me is imagining how I would give a live and in-person demo of the product to an interested audience. Many times, it gives me innovative/out-of-the-box ideas about how to state the (same) features of that product in a more engaging and attractive manner.

Content Maestro, Jan 6, 2015 IP
  3. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Create a de-procrastination box. Inside put reminders of why you're doing what you're doing. If you're having trouble working on your IM business, put in your box photos of your family to remind you who you're working so hard for, quotes, momentos, letters, anything encouraging.
    1. TAKE A BREAK
    2. Read an inspiring book
    3. Take a walk
    4. Call a friend for inspiration and ideas
    5. Exercise
    6. Take a shower to relax and refresh
    Don't overwork yourself. Figure out why you're procrastinating and break the cycle.

01123581321345589144, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  4. Gavin77

Gavin77 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Brainstorm your topic more? What is the topic you are writing about

Gavin77, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  5. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks @01123581321345589144 and @Gavin77 for your replies.:)
    Quite nice suggestions there. I don't exactly do this but I go through some past conversations with my clients esp. through those in which clients have acclaimed my work. That motivates me to work further. Sometimes I feel lost when working on a specific assignment which contributes in a major way to the writer's block. And that, I guess, also makes me procrastinate a lot. To get by, I refer to my client's messages where they have detailed the objectives, focus and plan of that project which puts me back on track.
    Yes, I occasionally take a break to refresh myself and hang out at some of my favorite local spots or watch a movie/read an inspiring book when I'm feeling too stressed. After sometime, I'm able to figure out what exactly is impeding the free flow of thoughts in my head which makes it much easier to find a solution, act upon it and continue writing fluently.:)
    Yep, brainstorming helps a lot many times. I brainstorm a certain topic not only when I'm writing about it, but also when I'm not working. I note down most of the good points and ideas that occur to me and refer to them later when needed. It helps me to overcome the block I may experience esp. when writing about the said topic.
    Well, I write about many topics; this question (and what I do to fight the writer's block) doesn't specifically pertain to any single one.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  6. Nicolas1s6

Nicolas1s6 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The best technique I use to fight agains writers block is the good old "hot shower/ hot bath".

Really relaxing, pleasant and really powerful (I had all my best ideas under a hot shower....)

It also helps to refocus on Your writing...

(The only problem is to remember all the ideas I got under the shower, as I have no waterproof notepad ^^)

Nicolas1s6, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input @Nicolas1s6.:) That's a really good idea. I also have those aha moments sometimes while in the shower.
    There's however, a waterproof notepad that can help you to note down your ideas while in a shower - http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Notes-Waterproof-Notepad-Mountable/dp/B003W09LTQ.
    Hope this helps.

Content Maestro, Jan 24, 2015 IP
  8. Nicolas1s6

Nicolas1s6 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Haha thanks, this may help, What You can do also is to Use a "bath table", So ou can use paper/ computer while taking a bath :p

Nicolas1s6, Jan 26, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  9. dddougal

dddougal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go sit on the toilet for a while...

dddougal, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  11. ACandi

ACandi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Content Maestro,

So you have all the reference material you need to complete the job and you go blank?

After doing your research and getting your references, create an outline for the article: Opening / introduction, Body with sub-sections, conclusion.

The outline gives you the overall game plan for your article. Toy around with different openings until you get one that spurs you into writing, then go for it according to your outline.

Granted you may hit some blocks along the way but they'll be easier to get over once you get your start.

Cheers

LB

ACandi, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  12. nard

nard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All of what you've mentioned is true. I also had my fair share of writer’s block and it sucks to not being able to write worthy piece of content especially when you need it the most. There are days when I just don’t feel like writing and even when I force myself I can seem to finish one good content. Well, during those days I just stop for a while, take a break; go for a walk or see a little bit of the city. I take a nap if I can or drink a little bit of caffeine.

nard, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  13. ACandi

ACandi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Nard,
    You're right, sometimes you're just too tired for your brain to be alert enough to be creative. In that case take a break, get some sleep, get up refreshed and go for it.

LB

ACandi, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  14. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the share @jrbiz.:) The article is really a nice read and quite interesting.
    I esp. agree with the part she has mentioned about originality and how to start. It's here where I get stuck most of the times. As for ways to get around it, I've more or less tried all of them except referencing 'Pop Culture' and using song lyrics. But the article on the whole is very helpful and has certainly provided some valuable inputs on dealing with the writer's block.:)
    Thanks for your reply @ACandi.:) Yes, it does happen a lot of times. Despite all references I've, my mind is simply blank and I just don't feel like writing. It's mostly a motivation issue, nothing else.
    Good suggestion - organizing the content, outlining it and experimenting with different openings definitely gives me a kick and I'm able to get over the block somehow and start writing again.
    @nard, I quite understand how you feel in such a situation esp. when clients are pressing and deadlines are imminent. Forcing yourself to write is not really a good idea but one HAS to do it – we all need to pay the bills and make ends meet. I can't afford to wait every time till the block, which at times is very long-lasting and even appears to be endless, passes away and a new chip of inspiration is felt. I guess as we grow, we develop our own unique ways to deal with it – diversions work best for some, pushing oneself for others. Thanks.:)

Content Maestro, Mar 9, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. Dev23

Dev23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to pitch in on this topic as I am new to copywriting.
    @ACandi, you make a very good point about getting all of your research material and
    making an outline of what you plan to write. I also read similar advice in Bob Bly's
    "Secrets Of A Freelance Writer".

Do you any of you have a partner copywriter who you can go to when you're out of
    ideas or hired for a job in a niche that you're not too familiar with?

Dev23, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  16. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    The people I consult/talk to when in such situations aren't necessarily fellow writers in all cases. They can be anybody with some understanding, exposure, qualification and/or experience relevant to the niche or topic in question and some inputs from them do help me to get down faster.

Content Maestro, Mar 19, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Writing blocks are a nightmare! Anyway, when this happens to me, there's something I do that helps a lot: my preferred sofa with a fruit drink on the rocks. I call it meditation. I chew those ice cubes and ideas appear in my mind.

Consider that I love that sofa, often I sleep on it a couple of hours when I worked all night, so it's a kind of personal haven.

I'm sure anyone of you has a personal haven, and I suggest to use it to relax and find new ideas.

18. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    For some people, their personal haven is the toilet.:)
    But I guess spending too much time there won't be possible for everybody.

19. Dev23

Dev23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Makes perfect sense. That's why I think it's a good to just listen to
    people discuss their experiences on a variety of topics and ask
    questions. I think it gives a more balanced and objective perspective.

Dev23, Mar 19, 2015 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Funnily enough, I've found the discussions I always though to be completely pointless and questions utterly stupid have sometimes given me a totally new perspective of the same topic, some really innovative ideas and a new inspiration to write.:)