1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Google Consider a Subdomain as a Separate Domain?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by vitaliykolos, Jan 4, 2015.

Here's the deal. I got a link from a domain (sitename.com). Now, there's a subdomain of the site (de.sitename.com). If I get a link on de.sitename.com, will Google take it that I got one more link from a root domain? I have a hunch that it won't because a subdomain is not a root domain?

Please let me know what you guys think about it.

vitaliykolos, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  2. ahmansoor

ahmansoor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google treat each sub-domain as a separate domain - so if you get a link from sub-domain , it will be treated as if you get a link from a different domain.

ahmansoor, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  3. AbhishekJain018

AbhishekJain018 Member

Best Answers:
    I am a bit opposite in this regard. Google consider the sub domain as a part of the root domain. Both the root as well as the subdomain will get the same priority in this case.

AbhishekJain018, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  4. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it doesn't whether if it is a sub domain or main but the most important thing is these domains are performing well in the web by providing interesting stuff and engagements to the targeted users.

KylieSweet, Jan 4, 2015 IP
  5. blogginggenius

blogginggenius Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find it a little illogical for Google to consider links from a sub domain as completely isolated/separate from a domain. It just opens the potential for abuse. Say you bought a domain, create a hundred sub domain on it and started linking. Google definitely draws a connection, how strong that connection is or what kind of connection it is, hard to tell, but most certainly getting a link from domain1.com and domain2.com would differ from getting a link at domain1.com and sub.domain1.com.

blogginggenius, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  6. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a good question to shade some light on what is being asked here; Would you rather get two links from PR4 pages from the same site or two links from two separate sites on two pages with PR2?

PR was invented to rank pages separately not domain names. So we can assume it is all about on what page the link is placed.

Googl, Jan 11, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  7. TeKn1qu3z

TeKn1qu3z Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe they are recognized as 2 different domains.

TeKn1qu3z, Jan 11, 2015 IP
  8. Lannister10

Lannister10 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting question. Does anybody provide a source here?

Lannister10, Jan 12, 2015 IP
  9. vitaliykolos

vitaliykolos Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your efforts, guys. I'm still confused :) Didn't realize that it's a hard one.

vitaliykolos, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  10. Truncho

Truncho Member

Best Answers:
    If the content of the domain and the sub-domain is relevant, google MAY treat the sub-domain as part of the domain. Else, both are taken as separated sites.

Truncho, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  11. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is one of the most recent ones:

http://www.scribewise.com/blog/bid/377702/SEO-Insight-The-Purposes-and-Benefits-of-Using-Subdomains

As observed the subdomain can indeed be treated as a different domain and its best used to separate entirely different parts of your site (or separate mini-sites). Don't think that Google are fools for not seeing the obvious loopholes here so most interlinking or link wheel schemes one can come up with are probable on their radars ;)

Rado_ch, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the subdomain is seen as a different site when "indexing" and ranking it, but I also think that link value to the primary domain will not be much. The link value will pass only as much value as any other page of your site does.
    Try this:
    Create a subdomain and get it indexed by google.
    Now at google, type: site:subdomain.primaryDomain.com
    You will get pages of subdomain.
    Now type: site:primaryDomain.com
    You will get pages from both primaryDomain and subdomain which makes you think that those subdomain pages are seen as a part of primaryDomain itself.

JEET, Jan 26, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  13. vittore

vittore Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm quite sure that subdomains are independent in Google's eye and do not provide any seo juice to the root domain. In you case the "de" tag should be used as subfolder, sitename.com/de. Or you can use only the root domain and use .po files for translations. In this case you can decide with a geo script the user's language and show the right language version to him/her right on the root domain.

vittore, Feb 1, 2015 IP
  14. RickHamell

RickHamell Member

Best Answers:
    It is illogical, Google considers them to be the same somewhat. My root domain got hit with a hack, Google found that, and has punished all of the subdomains. I cleaned up the problem and put in a reconsideration request, but I'm getting about 1/10th the traffic I was before and none of the domains appear in Google Search any longer even if I type site:sub.sitename.com

RickHamell, Feb 1, 2015 IP
  15. Searchism

Searchism Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has recently stated that subdomains are now not treated as independent. But I differ, because I have tested it ( I don't take google's word at face value).
    If you have a bunch of links pointed at your root url and no links to your subdomain, there may not be any juice, BUT, what many forget is if your site has trust or authority, the subdomain in fact will also have the same authority and trust, and hence is valuable for seo.
    Check out what blackhats do and you will see they use subdomains alot...

Searchism, Feb 3, 2015 IP
  16. abdrea klarin

abdrea klarin Banned

Best Answers:
    According to what I have read.. Basically the sub domains are considered as a Basic folders of the Root domain.

abdrea klarin, Jun 22, 2015 IP
  17. stevenwatson011

stevenwatson011 Member

Best Answers:
    Simply says yes google consider sub domain as the different domain.

stevenwatson011, Jul 27, 2015 IP
  18. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    Google take into account the IP address. This is because many people set up hundreds of domains to push PR of their main site. In most cases these people use the same server for all sites and all have the same IP address. So if your link comes from the same IP address as the site it is linked to, it has very little effect on your PR. A sub domain will have the same IP address so you won't get much PR boost because of this.

ecchi, Aug 22, 2015 IP
  19. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you think about it, the answer is quite simple. EVERY subdomain is considered a SEPARATE domain.

For example EVERYONE on tripod.com has his OWN subdomain. Mine is "mmerlinn.tripod.com" but yours could be "vitaliykolos.tripod.com" and so on. If Google did not treat them as separate domains all of your statistics would be the same as mine and vice versa. Since tripod.com has THOUSANDS of subdomains, ONE for each user, if Google considered them all the same domain, any statistics, links, and so on that Google collected would be WORTHLESS.

Further, even "www.mmerlinn.com" is a subdomain of "mmerlinn.com" and Google treats them both as separate domains unless they are specifically linked together via the control panel on the server. I have mine linked so that no matter which is used, the same page is served up and all Google statistics, links, etc. are common to both.

And, yes, I resurrected an OLD thread simply because NOBODY really answered the question. Now, if anyone is searching for an answer in the future, he can get a clear answer with examples.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    mmerlinn, Feb 5, 2021 IP