1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is first impression really the last impression?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Content Maestro, Dec 26, 2014.

?

Is first impression the last impression?

1. Yes

23.1%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not always

76.9%
    This has always been a topic of debate. Views can greatly differ and many times the answer can't be nailed down to a simple and definite 'yes' or 'no'.

This is what I deem -
    It's not possible to decide just in a couple of encounters how a person is. I may come across a person who may not be in his best humor that day maybe because something has annoyed them or made them nervous etc. Some folks don't open up and mingle all of a sudden; they take time to get comfortable with others. Then there are some who hide their true personalities under a mask and often portray themselves as something they are not in reality. Maybe because being themselves will make them vulnerable or reveal their unpleasant/'not-so-good' side. Others are just not gregarious and sociable – the 'shy' types basically.
    Whatever the case, the first impression some people give out is not good (and may not always be bad either.) However, I don't feel it's right to judge a person based on what we conclude just after one or two meetings with them. Unless we know a person deeply, thoroughly and truly, we should not let ourselves be influenced by any kind of prejudice or conviction. The bottom line: FIRST IMPRESSION IS NOT ALWAYS AN ACCURATE REFLECTION OF HOW A PERSON IS AND AS SUCH, AT LEAST I DON'T BELIEVE THAT FIRST IMPRESSION SHOULD NECESSARILY BE THE LAST IMPRESSION. Times change and so do people.

Comments?? Do cast your vote above.
    Thanks.

Content Maestro, Dec 26, 2014 IP
  2. kate_T

kate_T Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    agree! "FIRST IMPRESSION IS NOT ALWAYS AN ACCURATE REFLECTION OF HOW A PERSON IS AND AS SUCH, AT LEAST I DON'T BELIEVE THAT FIRST IMPRESSION SHOULD NECESSARILY BE THE LAST IMPRESSION."

but sometimes, if the person did something that is a reflection of your first impression to him/her, we can't help but believe that our first impression is true. :)

kate_T, Dec 26, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When it comes to dating, I think, it's most definitely yes. We make up our minds about our date within like first 10-30 seconds (whether or not we like them romantically or if their personality type resonates with what we're looking for in a partner). And fortunately or unfortunately those things don't change once we make up our minds (99.9% of the time).

When it comes to business, the first - last impression don't work the same way. I knew of a business that looked really humble on the outside, but it was a multi-million dollar business in annual revenue. My first impression wasn't really all that great about it, but as I started hanging out with some guys from there, I realized they meant business.

qwikad.com, Dec 26, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and Content Maestro like this.
  4. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Some people come off different during first impression, I believe in giving in chances because you cant learn about person in the first impression. Many people are late bloomers and would come out differently after few meetings.

King-Servers, Dec 26, 2014 IP
  5. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The logical answer would be Not Always for many reasons stated above. Consider one other thing tho. I think that first impression still does give a somehow accurate portrayal of ones character but it depends what exactly do you use as judging factors. Have always fancied psychology so for many years I have made my own "social experiments" and gain amusement and curiosity from the behavior of others. You just don't have to limit yourself with the visible. A simple conversation can reveal much even if the person is shy (which is still a definitive character trait), in a bad mood or cautious of his words/actions. This is why simple listening and attention to detail can make a great psychologist.

I find another thing related to that topic a little more frustrating. And those are first impressions of people you haven't yet met. You know, that friend of a friend you meet for the first time but your friend have already shared an opinion of that person, be it good or bad. An alarming trend for me is how easy can one be influenced and build a solid first impression without even giving a chance to the new acquaintance to change it. Surely, opinion coming from a friend holds more weight as you know you have similar taste in people (hence your friendship) but where does their opinion end and yours begin is a very delicate matter. I for one have been on both sides and thats why I always try to be objective and use others' opinion for nothing more than something to keep in mind. Sadly, the majority of people doesn't seem to share this belief of mine...

P.S. Sorry for the sometimes incoherent grammar, I tend to mix up my thoughts sometimes and build unnecessarily complex sentences :)

Rado_ch, Dec 26, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and Content Maestro like this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that First Impressions are often "Lasting" impressions, but only become "Last" impressions if the relationship remains distant and/or infrequent after the first meeting. That said, a really bad first impression can cause the relationship to stay distant/infrequent and when that happens, the first impression is indeed the last impression. Another variable is how significant/deep the first impression meeting is; if it is a quick, low interaction contact impression, I don't think that most people will think much of it. On the other hand, if it is a full day encounter with deep discussions, etc., it will obviously hold much more weight.

By the way, this post could have been put in the Marketing section because it has a lot of relevance to web design, marketing campaigns, etc. It also could have been put in the Introductions section because I am constantly amazed at how poorly some new DP members introduce themselves to the community. Certainly worth a lot of thought as we head into a new year.

jrbiz, Dec 27, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  7. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen some sales guys who don't sound very convincing and impressive when pitching their product/service for the first time. Yet, they hold on and keep pursuing their prospects. Obviously, they are not too pushy and aggressive as it leads to a different outcome altogether and the salesperson defeats their own purpose. They keep on interacting and communicating with their to-be-customers in an informal manner and in time, get to know a lot about them. This, eventually, leads them to a better and deeper understanding of their 'targets' and their 'needs'. Then they revamp their (initial) pitch completely and present it in a format that appeals to, resonates with and impresses their prospects straightaway! (Nothing different really, just the way they say it.) Needless to say they crack the sale.:) I guess the 'first-last impression' process holds a certain validity here too. o.o?

As @Rado_ch pointed out, much of it depends on the receiving end as well. If we're biased and prejudiced in our outlook towards others, what we catch at first will most certainly never change (and may often lead to disproportionate misunderstandings). Only an open mind can make us aware of the facts.

@qwikad.com, I like the way you've demarcated the application of 'first-last impression' law. So, when it comes to a personal occasion like dating, I should trust my gut feeling/reaction or go by my instincts; when it's business, I should be patient and rational(?) before making up my mind, right?

Content Maestro, Dec 27, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch, qwikad.com and jrbiz like this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Having managed hundreds of sales reps over the course of my career, I have seen a wide variety of approaches that successful salespeople use to close business. The approach you describe above, I would call the non-salesy, buddy approach to selling and it does work in certain sales situations. However, the key to that particular approach is that the prospect must be made to understand that, despite the non-salesy approach, the sales rep is looking for a successful BUSINESS relationship, not a personal friendship (though that can happen, too, of course.) If the salesperson is too non-salesy and does not keep at least a loose focus on the sales process, it is very possible that less-than-business-savvy prospects (lot of them out there) will think that the relationship is all about friendship, sharing information, singing kumbaya around the campfire, etc. The prospect can actually feel betrayed and/or become offended when the sales rep tries to close the deal. It's much like why I do not usually hire engineers to sell to other engineers. The two of them will spend tons of time discussing all the cool possible solutions for every problem that the prospect has or might have or might have had. The purpose of the relationship and the time being spent often gets lost in the process and it is really difficult to circle the wagons back to an efficient and orderly sales process.

jrbiz, Dec 27, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch and Content Maestro like this.
  9. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Prior to having my first job and being a fresh graduate. I always have the mindset that "First Impression is the Last Impression" that's why I always prepare myself for the job interviews I've been through and really showcase my skills, capabilities and personality. But I came to realize that this isn't always the case when you enter the corporate world. the impression I've built during the interview and my consistent performance at work are altered by rumors. And I also realized that the negative always outweighs the positive.

Vitarank, Dec 27, 2014 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks @kate_T, @King-Servers and @Vitarank.
    Not really sure what you mean by it but are you suggesting that if the person in front acts according to the first impression we give off about ourselves to them, the first impression about ourselves is true, at least that's what we have to believe? WHAT!!?? :confused: :eek: That sounds a bit strange! Can you explain a bit clearly and simply? :rolleyes:
    My first opinion about a person is almost never correct. Not only do some persons come across as very different after few meetings, they are also sometimes a totally new person. It's because a side of them is suddenly tripped which no one or even they themselves never realized before.
    True sometimes but not 'always'. As has been said before, much of it depends on the receiver too. If you're surrounded for the most part by negativists, negative does outweigh positive but then you've to make a point of changing your surroundings before the negativity affects you and robs you of your sanguinity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Content Maestro, Dec 27, 2014 IP
    Vitarank and jrbiz like this.
  11. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vitarank, Dec 29, 2014 IP
  12. kate_T

kate_T Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For example: my first impression with my new colleague is that she's arrogant. As I get to know her, it turns out that she's humble in words and deeds. And then there's one instance that she displayed a slight act of arrogance or boastfulness. Even though she's been nice and down to earth for the longest time, I cannot help but remember the first time I met her when I thought she was conceited. ...for me, this is one example of a lasting first impression. even though a person proved you wrong for x number of years, one negative act and everything is gone.

(I hope my example makes sense :))

kate_T, Jan 2, 2015 IP
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Then the problem isn't with the person casting the impression, it's with the receiver.
    Anyway, thanks for explaining. I'm able to get your point now.

Content Maestro, Jan 2, 2015 IP
    kate_T and jrbiz like this.
  14. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    “First impressions matter. Experts say we size up new people in somewhere between 30 seconds and two minutes.” - Elliott Abrams
    Frankly, isn't 30 seconds to 2 minutes quite short guys? Depends again though, on how correctly you size them up. Anyway, that's what the experts say ….

Content Maestro, Feb 11, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.