1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Web Hoster?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by BeachMaster, Dec 3, 2014.

Hi. I'm developing an app streaming many small videos. I'm wondering what web hoster to use?

My best guess now is Dream Host because they are cheap, provide unlimited subdomains and unlimited disc space.

Other good options are IPage and Siteground.

Any suggestions? Tks.

BeachMaster, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  2. sachinairan

sachinairan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you don't go with the cheapest but also analyse the other requirement for your project and whether your host fulfill that. Although, the cheap host will be ok if your site doesn't require many features and doesn't expect much traffic, however, if your site is consuming little bit higher server resources than the cheap hosts will suspend your account without any notification. Therefore, it is best to compare the hosts and also consider the reputed hosts such as hostgator, godaddy etc.

sachinairan, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  3. carlosvilla

carlosvilla Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with sachinairan, don't go with the cheapest option. You should stay away from the hosts that provide "unlimited" resources. I know that from a personal experience.

I have two servers, one with DigitalOcean and one with RoseHosting, but I like RoseHosting more because of their great support. They have helped me countless times.

So, I would suggest you to give them a try.

Cheers,
    Carlos

carlosvilla, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  4. AMJAlienServers

AMJAlienServers Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no best host, but rather most preferred by each individual who will recommend you any of the hosts they have used.
    I do not think it will matter what hosting provider you will get in the end as long you know what you need and do a bit of research to know if that hosting company is any good.
    Good and bad reviews have any hosting company, you cant make everyone happy.

AMJAlienServers, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  5. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    "Unlimited" resources can not be good. Please stay away from something "unlimited".
    Web Hosting comes with hardware which need to pay money to keep it works.

Hostname.club, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  6. BeachMaster

BeachMaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies. I looked are your suggestions and just picked dreamhost because I will need a lot of disc space with the videos I'll be transfering there. Thanks though.

BeachMaster, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  7. Hostname.club

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Streaming video should go from VPS platform, not Shared Hosting.
    If your videos eaten a server resources (like bandwidth), your account can be suspend.

Hostname.club, Dec 3, 2014 IP
  8. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He will probably find that out soon enough. There is no way you are going to do any kind of traffic streaming videos on a shared host. There are a few unmanaged VPS plans out there that have "unmetered" data transfer with a guaranteed rate for a certain amount of transfer, then a much slower rate after that.

billzo, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  9. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The unlimited disk space and bandwidth providers have a cap, do check their TOS before signing up. If you are going to stream videos, go for a cloud vps hosting.

King-Servers, Dec 4, 2014 IP
  10. Hostname.club

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's true. Streaming hosting is not easy to catch :) Sometimes we must know how to purchase for what we want, if not, you lose your money while it does not work.

Hostname.club, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  11. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, nowadays every other hosting related advice thread I see is just full of the same ol' affiliates pushing the big names, which turn out to be the most nightmarish hosts according to the general public. Hostgator, Dreamhost, Bluehost, Hostgator, Fatcow... pretty much the ones that have the biggest number of affiliates and as many negative reviews.

But I guess some people just deserve what they get. In the above example OP is pretty funny. So I want to stream videos (not just your good ol' HTML website) and THIS IS WHY I choose a cheap and unlimited host. This whole statement is so controversial that I don't know where to begin. Someone took that role and tried to give some value guidance to the person about the Unlimited myth and still, less than 24 hours after thread was posted its starter already found a host. This means that either they didn't any advice in the first place, or they don't know how to take one. But as that is already over I would be interested how long will it take for the same person to post another thread like that. I mean, lets be honest, streaming videos (especially live streaming) is not advised on any shared platform. When we add a CHEAP and UNLIMITED host to that equation its just a recipe for disaster.

Now Dreamhost have done a commendable job trying to hide all their limitations and replacing them with a single passage in their AUP

This is all you need to know and this is what you'll be shown when suspension comes and you seek a resolution for it. But the most hillarious thing is the last line - we're upfront in...being Unlimited and not explaining what that means? Wow...just wow :)

Rado_ch, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  12. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    Try checking hosting providers. They all have something to give but in the end it is where you are comfortable that matters.

usemyteam, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  13. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are streaming videos you might find that you are better off storing them on something like Amazon AWS.

micksss, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  14. BeachMaster

BeachMaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks again for your replies. My reasoning begind giong with dreamhost is becasue I am just starting out with this whole digital entrepreneur venture and I don't have a lot of cash to put out. I talked to my advisor about this and he said changing to a VPS platform is the future is an easy transition if I am taking up too much bandwidth. So I guess I'm going to take the cheapest route, see how things go, and the good thing is I know I have a backup.

BeachMaster, Dec 5, 2014 IP
  15. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe this question has no real answer but your own, I am afraid you will have to test a few to see what best suits you!!

IG2010, Dec 6, 2014 IP
  16. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure thing, I can understand a tight budget, we are giving you advice from our experience. Hope you keep us updated, I am really interested to see how much time it will take for Dreamhost to show you what Unlimited means exactly.

Rado_ch, Dec 6, 2014 IP
  17. AMJAlienServers

AMJAlienServers Peon

Best Answers:
    Well some people needs to experience it at least one time before they will actually listen or take into consideration what community advised them.
    On a short to BeachMaster.
    If you do not get those back ups on your local machine then when you will get the account suspended the back ups you have with them may be lost.
    Streaming videos require a lot of bandwidth and going for the "unlimited" route is the best way to loose your money when you get suspended.

AMJAlienServers, Dec 6, 2014 IP
  18. darkbat

darkbat Active Member

Best Answers:
    dreamhost is definitely a good choice.

darkbat, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  19. ejaz ahmed

ejaz ahmed Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you the one which is available 27/7/365 in true meaning :)

ejaz ahmed, Dec 7, 2014 IP
  20. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    Moving to a VPS may be a easy thing to do!! But that's not the only thing that is of importance! Since your starting up, Its highly up important that you choose a right hosting partner.

Cloudcandy Host, Dec 9, 2014 IP