1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is directory submission and why we do this task in seo ? and it is important for the seo point

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by IMPD, Nov 15, 2014.

what is directory submission and why we do this task in seo ? and it is important for the seo point of view?

IMPD, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  2. braulio

braulio Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a good article written on this subject that I used to decide whether directory submission was still required for good seo.

But content is still king and page optimization is important. Here are the elements of a well optimized page. This is what we use as a guide for optimizing our customer's pages.

I suggest that you have a well optimized page with quality content before submitting to directories. This is a must.

Good luck and hope that I helped you.

Braulio

braulio, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  3. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's important that your site is listed in respected website directories and niche website directories, but you can't start spamming and using blackhat tools to submit your site to hundreds of directories - that will hurt you.

cronik, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  4. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    A directory link is like any other link, only a little easier to come by. Like any other web site, there are good ones and there are bad ones, and if there's any SEO advantage to be gained, it will come from having your link in a category whose topic matches your own site topic. Rather than looking for a category that has PageRank or any other silly thing, submit your site to the most appropriate category.

You'll probably hear from some self-proclaimed SEO gurus that directories are a bad placement for your site, when the truth is that bad directories are a bad placement for your site. There are a lot of bad directories, as there are a lot of other bad web sites, so avoid them. One way to avoid them is to never fall for one of those offers to submit your site to thousands of top web directories. For one thing, there aren't thousands of top web directories; for another, those wouldn't be the ones they'd submit your site to, anyhow. Another way is the look through any directory that you're thinking of submitting your site to.

I have several reputable directories listed in my directory of directories and no, I'm not selling anything there. I don't even charge a submission fee, but I have visited every directory that is listed there, and have submitted my own sites to most of them, exceptions being a few that I couldn't afford and some others that were niche directories in another niche than my own. Some of the directories listed there are very good, while others are not as good, but I have tried to avoid any that I had reason to believe were a scam. I periodically review the directories there and remove those that are no longer working or that no longer meet my standards. I have listed some new directories that haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet, so do your own homework.

Before you submit your site, click around the directory. Standards will differ from one directory to another, even among those that have standards, but if you're seeing a lot of junk, don't choose that one. You will want directories that have published and enforce some reasonable submission standards. A directory that will automatically accept every submission, just as it has been submitted, is probably not one that you want your site in.

Depending on the topic of your site, niche directories can be particularly good. Otherwise (or at the same time), relevant categories in general directories will also be helpful.

I've written some general submission guidelines on this page, although you'll want to read the submission guidelines that are specific for whichever directories you'll be submitting to. I've also written a guideline for choosing the correct category, and on writing a site description. Additionally, I have reviewed most of the better general or topical directories. In these reviews, you can learn some of the things that I look for in a directory, although you might have some other things that are important to you.

To answer your question, yes, a directory listing is every bit as important as any other link that you might get. Additionally, you will receive traffic from some of the better directories. The amount of traffic that you get from them directly will be minuscule compared to the traffic you get from the search engines, particularly Google, but a well-organized directory will send you targeted traffic, which means that these are the people who are looking for what you've got, and are more likely to buy, to subscribe, or to do whatever it is that you want them to do, including looking through more of your site, and coming back.

I have sites whose back links are almost entirely from web directories, and they do just fine in the SERPs. Of course, these are sites whose topics relate to web directories, so Google may view that as being particularly relevant.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Anitasol likes this.
  5. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The directories must know that your site exists before people can find it. Just make sure you're submitting your site to directories that people actually use.

ceenote100, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that, if you control the link (category, link text, etc.), as you do with directory submission, the search engines are not impressed with that. Outside of a few very high-quality directories, I quit submitting to directories a couple of years ago.

Jim4767, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  7. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Main Reason: Backlink
    IMO, Directory Submission is not anymore relevant in SEO. It is obviously a link scheme and not anymore a good practice.

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  8. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    That's absolutely not true, but I understand that some people like to quote mantras. I have sites that are almost exclusively linked from web directories, yet are doing quite well in the SERPs. The search engines are not impressed with links from crap websites, including crap directories. As long as you don't submit to the junk directories, you'll do fine.

9. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    What you are ignoring, or not realizing, is that the submitter doesn't have control over any of that stuff when submitting to a reputable directory. Most of the links in a good directory are added by editors, and not submitted (I know, because I have been doing that for a living for the past decade or more), and submitted sites are always subject to being moved to a more appropriate category, titles are changed when the submitted title is inappropriate, and descriptions are nearly always modified, if not entirely rewritten. A directory that simply accepts whatever is submitted, to whichever category it is submitted to, is not a good directory, and there are plenty that don't.

10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "Here are a few common examples of unnatural links that may violate our [Google's] guidelines: ...
    • Low-quality directory or bookmark site links..."
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356?hl=en

That's the problem. The overwhelming majority of directories fall into that category — "low-quality directories." I would love it if Google published a list (they won't) of directories they did not consider low-quality. I would probably submit to them. I suspect it would be a relatively short list.

Jim4767, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  11. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    The overwhelming majority of websites fall into that category. Do we boycott websites?

12. tnk

tnk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont really know if the websites which do all this are really penalized, but I am sure there will be some negative and positive impact

tnk, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  13. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    It is important if one can do it in a right manner (not spamming).

DON.

deluxdon, Nov 18, 2014 IP
  14. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    Not if they don't submit to a bunch of crappy ones.

15. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This nowadays directory submission has no value at all. Reality it is. :D
    So do you have sites exclusively linked from web directories. :eek: Would you mind to provide the links of those web directories along with your link within the site. :confused:

KylieSweet, Nov 18, 2014 IP
  16. surajdumka

surajdumka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A web directory or link directory is a directory on the world wide web(WWW) .it is specialize in linking to other web site and categorizing those link.
    But for it the good way to submit your link on best directories those are widely use and known for best result:)

surajdumka, Nov 18, 2014 IP
  17. Rahul singh rajput

Rahul singh rajput Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To pickup backlink for your blog or website. It is one of the effective method of getting back links.

Rahul singh rajput, Nov 18, 2014 IP
  18. vijaykumarcirigimi01

vijaykumarcirigimi01 Member

Best Answers:
    Always choose good directories to publish your website. I have collected 100 high page rank penguin proof directories. You can download free here http://downloads.ziddu.com/download/24521949/High-PR-Directories-With-Page-Rank.xlsx.html

vijaykumarcirigimi01, May 22, 2015 IP
  19. meethi jain

meethi jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    good way to create one way backlink

meethi jain, May 30, 2015 IP
  20. Aryans

Aryans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome in SEO marketing field... According to me you have to learn starting SEO step then ask your doubt here...

Aryans, May 30, 2015 IP