1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming language to learn when developing a video software program?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by johnrush5, Jul 23, 2014.

Hey I don't think this is a duplicate question, and I apologize if it is.

I'm a beginner to programming (I've never program before) but I have a stellar idea for a video editing software. I have plenty of time to develop it and would like to do so on my own.

I'm not really sure where to start so I need to know which program I will need to learn.

Any other resources (books, blogs, sites, apps) would also be greatly appreciated.

johnrush5, Jul 23, 2014 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is tough to answer... If you are looking to make software for Video Editing you would probably be interested in learning C++. But you could also use C# and Java too with the right components. In either case, you really should just learn the fundamentals of programming before you set out to try to make a Video Editing application. On a scale of 1-10 for complexity you are looking at an 8+.

I have been programming for over 16 years and this would be a project that would force me to go back to learn uncharted territories... and it would NOT be easy for me.

NetStar, Aug 2, 2014 IP
    macdonjo likes this.
  3. webshore88

webshore88 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    c# is good.

webshore88, Aug 3, 2014 IP
  4. spujap

spujap Active Member

Best Answers:
    Learning a language and building video editor are two different learning curves. Also developing the user interface for editor and what happens in background are two separate tasks.

In order to develop it you need to understand different stages/processes of what actually happens in background when we perform some action in a video editing software. http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/ may have some resources related to it. This is most important.

Then comes choice of programming language depends on those processes and learning curve associated with it. May be you might need more than one technology. Say, you could use any existing library, if it's available, for achieving some part of it instead of writing it.

I guess Java would be preferred language if you want to begin programming and there are some libraries available related to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/809646/libraries-tutorials-for-manipulating-video-in-java

You could take a look at code of any opensource video editor - http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/ProductReviews/Software/5-best-open-source-video-editors-for-small-business.html

http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/ seems to use C language.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    spujap, Aug 15, 2014 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  5. ethansamuel17

ethansamuel17 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need to learn both C# and Java to fulfill this purpose.

ethansamuel17, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What makes you think he needs to learn BOTH C# or Java to accomplish this?

You don't.

If I had to pick a language to learn solely for this task I would pick Java BECAUSE there are frameworks that will allow me to do this "more easily". I use quotations because it's NOT simple.

You won't need to know 2 separate languages like ethansamuel suggested.

NetStar, Sep 27, 2014 IP
  7. seductiveapps.com

seductiveapps.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    isn't java a bit slow for a video editor? i'd go with C#, it's free like java.

seductiveapps.com, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This makes little sense.

Visual C# is not free. Java being slow for a Video Editor but C# being more ideal in performance also makes zero sense.

NetStar, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  9. seductiveapps.com

Best Answers:
    Last time I checked, one could use C# for free and develop apps with it for free and even sell these apps without getting a C# paid license.
    And it's a heck of a lot faster than java, indeed.

seductiveapps.com, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The use of C# for free is something I did not know.

As for being faster than Java...I've seen several tests proving otherwise. Either way it doesn't matter both languages are not suitable for high performance software.

NetStar, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  11. seductiveapps.com

Best Answers:
    So which ones are suitable for high performance software, in your view, netstar?

seductiveapps.com, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not just in my personal view but C++ would obviously be the ideal choice to make such software.

NetStar, Nov 23, 2014 IP
  13. jamaway

jamaway Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all.

On the same subject ,how difficult or costly would it be to create a program for a very basic video editor ,i don't need all the bells and whistles ,just an editor where you can import video's and audio tracks and synchronize them accurately,finishing with a split screen video.

Alot of these video editors are too bulky for most computers .It would be nice to have something thats not going to bring your laptop to it's knees.

Thnx
    Jamaway

jamaway, Sep 2, 2017 IP
  14. Moritz

Moritz Peon

Best Answers:
    I use native AVFoundation framework when creating software for IOS.
    Read Video Editing Software Development: Tips and Tricks You Need To Know - https://applikeysolutions.com/blog/video-editing-app-development-tips-and-tricks-you-need-to-know, you can find something useful for your item there.

Moritz, Oct 29, 2018 IP
  15. erts

erts Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend to learn Java, since you can use different libraries and tutorials, which are quite a lot, as for C++. I found some useful information on site and on GitHub (https://github.com/shamanDevel/SimpleVideoEditor) a simple video editor written in Java. Therefore, you can use it for your project.

erts, Nov 9, 2018 IP
  16. JuanKell

JuanKell Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi all!
    It is necessary to differentiate what the application will be used for - recording, processing, transfer. What additional functions will there be, whether you need to build in the ability to share videos. This guide (https://yalantis.com/blog/video-recording-and-video-editing-app-development-top-performers/) talks about video software for real estate, education, and other apps. It is also important to understand on which platform this application will be used. Java is the best option for the desktop, while Swift and Kotlin are the best for iOS and Android, respectively.

JuanKell, Apr 5, 2021 IP
  17. Maintec Solutions

Maintec Solutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi All,
    The last time I looked, one could use C# for free and develop apps with it for free and even sell these apps without getting a C# paid license.
    And it's a heck of a lot faster than java, You may also browse https://www.maintecsolutions.com/java-technologies

Maintec Solutions, Jul 2, 2021 IP
  18. Shaktimi

Shaktimi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I believe that C# will be the ideal programming language for that as it is really fast. However, the project is very difficult to implement, so, you'd better start with something easier. I would actually suggest you to watch youtube videos about different programming languages in order to understand their strong and weak points and maybe you will find some projects which will be more interesting to you.

Shaktimi, Sep 20, 2021 IP