1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ideas for Movies niche site?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by tradester, Nov 11, 2014.

Am thinking of doing some site (low budget for a start) on movies niche.
    Below are some ideas. What do you think? Any other ideas?
    -Movies database+ratings site
    I like this cos it is very scalable
    But now there are big authority comprehensive movie database sites like imdb.com (now owned by Amazon) , rottentomatoes
    Those sites are mainly English movies but now they also cover foreign language movies even though their foreign language movies database is not very comprehensive. Obviously, if start an English movies database cannot compete with imdb.
    How about a movies database of non-English movies?

-Movies forum?
    Forums are big headache and tough to maintain. So many such forums already? Not sure about this

-Movies review blog?
    This requires expert /movies reviewer content/articles which will be costly since may have to pay for such expert content. Plus there are so many of such sites already and such sites are not very scalable.

-Streaming movies site?
    Do not like this. Legal ramifications or too many of them already

:)

tradester, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't want to piss on your rainbow but I think your idea won't be successful. IMDB has such a HUGE database, reputation and entire staff devoted to Movies, Reviews, Movie Forums etc. I just don't see how your single man powered site would ever do well when you take a look at a mature decade+ old web site like IMDB.

As for Streaming Movies... don't bother. You will be shut down before you even become popular. And if you DO become popular you will shut yourself down due to the cost of bandwidth and lack of return on investment.

A Movie Blog is more realistic. However, based on your post you are thinking BIG and that idea is on the small side.

If you really want to make some sort of movie web site I think you need a better idea than just listing movies, reviews and having a forum. In fact, scratch the forum idea until you actually have a web site generating enough traffic to start a forum.

NetStar, Nov 11, 2014 IP
    sweetpea69 likes this.
  3. de7erv

de7erv Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Netstar. IMDB is too big to compete with because it's in essence a fully functional company.
    If you want to do a movie niche website/blog, I suggest you approach this from a business and marketing point of view.
    You will need content, you can do a movie review blog for example or you can pitch yourself to a specific genre like comedy, drama, SF, etc..
    OR you can make a movie site and make it with a good name/logo and something new and specific and try to get name recognition (which would be very hard if you don't have alot of money to spend)

de7erv, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  4. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Piss on your rainbow"...hahahaaa . And yeah, I would agree.

sweetpea69, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  5. WebLab

WebLab Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will also suggest you to go with 3rd option as I find it easiest. And you can get enough traffic, if you post Movie reviews on IMDB itself.

WebLab, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  6. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for feedback
    Looks like movie blog is easiest option but then there are probably millions of those :(

tradester, Nov 12, 2014 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Websites are commitments. And if you aren't paid to make one you should apply your focus on a subject that greatly interests you. If you are a big movie buff and love to review web sites then by all means start your blog and have fun! If you aren't a huge movie bluff perhaps this niche is not for you and you should spend more time coming up with another idea.

Remember whether you anticipate making money down the road or not you aren't being paid. This is a hobby. So you might as well create a site that engages an interests YOU. The last thing you want is a part time job that pays you ZERO.

NetStar, Nov 12, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. Get Rich Methods

Get Rich Methods Peon

Best Answers:
    Tough niche. But not an impossible one.

Aside from having been an internet marketer for 20 years, I write screenplays for independent filmmakers, have quite a foothold in the online movie industry, and dedicate a little time to it. You need to approach this the way you would any new business venture:

- Look for Gaps in the Market
    - Seek out Profitable Ways to Fill those Gaps

If I were you, I'd go sub-genre. Examples: horror screenwriting, Japanese horror movies, action movies of the 80s.

Forget making a stale directory or review site; think instead of how to engage your audience. Audience engagement is key nowadays and will soon dominate, if it hasn't already.

A forum is one possible idea, as is any form of social network. Or consider a location like DP that will help your audience achieve a business goal.

GRM

Get Rich Methods, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  9. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Build an entertainment social network!

chilirepublic, Mar 25, 2021 IP
  10. fencerstars

fencerstars Greenhorn

Best Answers:

fencerstars, Apr 9, 2021 IP
  11. burgesssally787

burgesssally787 Peon

Best Answers:
    you can take as a basis some films that are not so popular in society. or some interesting films that few people know about
    or for example short films
    there are actually quite a few of them, but they are not given large-scale publicity. and by the way, many actors and directors started their careers in short films!

burgesssally787, Apr 13, 2021 IP