1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I use my HostGator account to send large files?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by andrej, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I wonder if I can use my HostGator hosting account to send large files to my web design client? I upload the files via FTP and they are zipped PSD files. Every file is downloaded just 1, maybe 2 times. Some files have 10MBs, other have 40MBs.

Is this allowed? Or can I get my hosting account suspended for this?

andrej, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  2. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why this would be an issue really, doesn't sound that resource intensive. What I don't understand is why you don't just send the files directly and avoid having to do that altogether? It just increases the amount of time it takes the client to get the files.

ironcladservers, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  3. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using a shared hosting account then you should find out the attachment size limit. Usually on shared hosting such restrictions are set.

MilesWeb, Jul 11, 2014 IP
  4. KillaKeith

KillaKeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I'm reading in their support forums and TOS, you could have your account suspended if you are caught. Photo/file sharing scripts are prohibited as per the TOS. If the files are large (as graphics files tend to be), I'm sure the resource spike will pop a flag.

Unacceptable Resource Usage.
    1. You may not:
      1. Use twenty-five percent (25%) or more of our system resources for longer than ninety (90) seconds at a time. Activities that could cause this excessive use, include but are not limited to: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.

Uploading/downloading large files will, inevitably, trigger this flag at some point. I would email them and see what they are willing to offer as a compromise.

KillaKeith, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  5. paullopez

paullopez Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will get the most appropriate answer if you ask this question to Hostgator support team via Phone or Live chat.

paullopez, Jul 15, 2014 IP
  6. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys for your replies. I contacted the HostGator support regarding this and they told me that this should not be an issue.

andrej, Jul 15, 2014 IP
  7. hosting_spec80

hosting_spec80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess Hostgator has different file limits on different servers. In case you need to increase them, you can do this via your custom php.ini file or just ask support to do this.

hosting_spec80, Jul 16, 2014 IP
  8. Md Shajahan Miah

Md Shajahan Miah Member

Best Answers:
    is most amazing web hosting company throughout the world and many people have already been left many talks on the internet like conversations in Forums, Question & answer websites and more.. http://webhostgatorcoupons.com But the most interesting part HostGator is the cheapest hosting company in this world which is offers great support for discount coupon codes available on the internet

Md Shajahan Miah, Jul 18, 2014 IP
  9. bcsman

bcsman Member

Best Answers:
    That is interesting that Hostgator said it shouldn't be a problem.
    I have actually been contacted by Godaddy before for being in violation of their TOS for hosting large files that are shared with my clients. I guess Hostgator doesn't mind if they are smaller files but I would be careful if you start adding a lot or they increase in size.

I have since switched to sending files to my clients with a dedicated online service. I am currently sending all of my website designs and files through https://www.securelysend.com

bcsman, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  10. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    @bcsman I guess its a case where the OP doesn't have too Big a file. As per my knowledge you're better of with using a third party service like Dropbox or Skydrive to share your files rather then Taking the trouble to share your files over the Hosting

Cloudcandy Host, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  11. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    File limits are different for every hosting companies. You will have to contact there support department to get proper information.

King-Servers, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    reading really isnt your strong point is it? Perhaps try reading comment #6

matt_62, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    Smyrl and malky66 like this.
  13. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's an ever recurring problem on this forum these days, I assume it's just to try and artificially inflate their post count.

malky66, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    Smyrl, Arick unirow and matt_62 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.