1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You own a few companies, when do you call them a Group?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by TechGroup, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello, i'm from Europe. I'm a Founder and CEO of a 4 small companies, each one is engaged in entirely different business sectors. I'm about to start 2 new companies very soon.

My company structure is a bit like Richard Branson's. Each company operates for itself and it is not related to any of the other companies. Each company has a management team which team reports to the COOs of the companies and to me. The common thing is that each company name starts with my brand name.

If my brand name is Kavkaz, can i say that i have a group of companies called Kavkaz Group? I can see that Virgin is a group of companies and i think the model of RB is like the one i described.

Here is a definition from wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_group

My structure is not as the described one, but i think Virgin's structure is not either.

What do you think? I'm planing to register a new .group domain as soon as it is out.

TechGroup, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are hundreds of Kavkaz companies / groups in the Russian Federation and particularly in the Kavkaz region. Why would you consider choosing something so commonly used? I'd suggest brainstorming a name that will be unique.

From what I understand if several companies are owned / regulated / controlled by the same person or group of people they can merge those companies into one group. Those things are done for 1. convenience purposes and 2. tax purposes. And, in some cases, it just makes sense to run several companies as one large conglomerate.

qwikad.com, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on your success. This is a great problem to have.

In my experience, a "Group" company is usually the legal corporate owner of the individual companies that comprise the group. Another term for it would be a "Holding" company. There can be tax benefits if structured correctly, but my understanding is that the primary purpose of a "Group" company arrangement is so that the individual companies in each group can focus exclusively on their business while the "Group" company focuses on the entire portfolio from an overall investment strategy perspective. This top-view perspective can be quite different from one in the trenches of an individual company because, for example, a business that is not "doing well" might be allowing a different business in the portfolio to do extremely well because it provides a low-cost solution or something like that. It can also work in the reverse where a company that is doing well is not meeting the goals of the portfolio and is sold off despite its success (it happens.)

This approach can also involve a move to centralize/optimize certain company functions that would otherwise be redundant in all four companies. For example, the Group/Holding company could handle HR for all of the four companies you have. Or perhaps some other administrative functions. Economies of scale would more buying power with certain common purchases to all the companies.

You really need to talk to a CPA and a tax attorney about setting up the appropriate corporate structure for the Group/Holding company and how to optimally integrate the existing companies under it if you do decide to proceed in that direction.

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. agmccall

agmccall Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the term "Development" as well for example I could be A.G. McCall Development Inc. With all my business/blogs/websites being DBA's

al

agmccall, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  5. TechGroup

TechGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is that i don't want to merge those companies into one. I own those companies and each one operate as a single unit, the common thing is that i own them and in front of each name is my brand name (it is not Kavkaz, it is Urgun, just gave it as example).
    The companies are:
    Urgun Agriculture
    Urgun Tech
    Urgun Canning
    Urgun Properties

I like how Richard Branson thinks. Each of his companies operate as single unit as well or at least this is what it is written in his first book. It is not related to any other of his companies, except with the brand name. This way the companies are much more protected and the failure of one can't take the others with it.

So, what i want to know is, can i present my companies as Urgun Group or Urgun group of companies? I think this is a matter of understanding. My structure is not as the described one for Group of companies, but when you see it, it is a group of companies beginning with a brand name, a several companies which can be called a group of companies in a way to explain there are more than one or two, not in the meaning of the legal term Group. I think Virgin is thinking that way when they call them self a Group.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    TechGroup, Sep 29, 2014 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    From a pure branding (not legal or tax) perspective, you can call your "group" of companies whatever you would like. You own them all, so there are no questions about misleading or misidentifying these businesses. I am not sure what benefit will derive to the companies, but it may enhance your personal brand which could aid in acquiring or starting new companies. Good luck with all of this; I hope that it works out for you.

jrbiz, Sep 29, 2014 IP
  7. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with jrbiz. From a branding perspective you're more than welcome to call yourself a Group or Network (lots of people do it).

It sounds like each company has revenue, employees as you mention separate managements etc so from a tax / legal perspective, I'd consult a professional local to you to ensure you get the best advise.

HostDash, Oct 1, 2014 IP
    sweetpea69 likes this.
  8. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Alex - Arvixe Yeah I agree.

Honestly, a forum is not really the place to ask such a question, especially if you're are running multiple companies w/ multiple employees for each. Frankly, I'd assume you would have a lawyer you could turn to for advice...at the least..someone who gets paid for their advice ;) .

sweetpea69, Oct 1, 2014 IP
    mixa_ru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.